A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Submandibular small lumps each side

Moderator Top User
    good to hear all is well so learnt from this next time you have a worry and enjoy life.

John
    NHL DLBC aggressive stage 4B advanced
    diagnosed april 09
    after 8 rchop and a couple of delays, in remission
    some long term side effects to manage post treatment
    some blips and investigations on the journey but now
    22nd oct 2014 discharged no more hospital visits

we are all on a roller coaster ride, riding blind never knowing where the highs and lows are.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    The worst possible thing that a doctor can say is "We can't rule cancer out." Very comforting, huh? Doctors need to learn that you do not havw cancer until a pathology report says you have cancer.

This year in particular, the flu has lasted until very late. Additionally, there are a few mystery viruses making their rounds. A couple or three of them , combined with anemia, put me in the hospital in February. Every blood panel known to medical science was run and not a thing was identified.

Right now I have pneumonia as well as a head cold, and had a 24 hour virus on top of all that a couple of weeks ago.

This is just a really sick year.

Newbie New User
    It is comforting but I'm trying to deal with the unknown now. I've woken slightly damp near my limbs at least twice a week now. This is worrying. Im just really confused. Ive got the AC blasting in my room. Allergies? No idea. My lower jaw has a weird feeling in the last 6 days. It's a constant "off" feeling. Not numb, I can feel Everytime I touch it or prick with something. I keep checking. I know numbness is something to be very wary of. Other symptoms are not here. My throat glands aren't swollen nor feel as weird as they did a month ago. Not sure what else to add. I guess when I wake up at 4 am slightly damp, I freak out and think the ENT docs were wrong. Then I think about my near perfect blood count and it helps.

Moderator Top User
    Hi slightly damp is not a night sweat if that's the fear, a drenching sweat where you have to change bedding is something to raise with your medical team if it happens. Is it possible your level of awareness is raised so any minor issue you may have previously ignored is now magnified? If so then its possible this could be anxiety raising its head and showing in a way you would not expect.
    Try to be rational and see where that gets you.
    NHL DLBC aggressive stage 4B advanced
    diagnosed april 09
    after 8 rchop and a couple of delays, in remission
    some long term side effects to manage post treatment
    some blips and investigations on the journey but now
    22nd oct 2014 discharged no more hospital visits

we are all on a roller coaster ride, riding blind never knowing where the highs and lows are.

Newbie New User
    I guess when I say damp, I mean I'm wet near the groin, arm pit and my shirt. It's dry by morning. The bed itself isn't "soaked". I had a bad night sweat once last summer and my mattress was entirely soaked. So it's kind of alarming that it isn't like a sweat only.

Night sweats are unmistakable. You are soaked to the skin, head-to-foot. The bed is wet. And, they usually show up at fairly late stage, when it is obvious to the world that you have something major wrong.

On complicating factor is the onset of totally unrelated symptoms that are caused by the stress of the entire situation. Anxiety/worry, whatever you call it, can cause over 100 of the 150 symptoms that the human body is capable of producing. How to separate the worry symptoms from the actual symptoms?

Out of the 68,069 known human illneses and conditions, I venture to guess that you can start looking elsewhere. Bear in mind that many symptomatic illnesses are never identified or diagnosed. They simply remain mysteries.

Bottom line: if the word "cancer" is upsetting to you, or freaking you out, then it is the last thing you should think of, not the first.
    Last edited by po18guy; 06-29-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Newbie New User
    I really appreciate this. Cancer is an upsetting word. At this moment I'm just upset thinking the symptoms would go and all but this and the lower jaw "not numb but nodes present" thing are here. Perhaps you are right that this may be something else. The sweat happened last night again but yet again, I'm dry by morning. If I'm back then I'm back but perhaps my discussion here isn't really the right spot. If I'm back then we will go from there.

As of yesterday, my hematologist checked me and found several 1cm sub-mandibular nodes. They are expanded considerably above normal size. Neither of us is worried in the slightest. You see, I am working my way through Human Parainfluenza virus Type 3, which is going around very late in the cold and flu season. Back in February, I had at least two other viruses. Every blood panel known to medical science was run and neither of them was identifiable.

You see, there are about 3,300 known viruses, but millions - millions! - of others that are simply unknown. Thus, their efect on the human body is unknown. This has been a very sick season for the entire nation, if not the world. You are not exempt from that. And, each one of those viruses causes enlarged lymph nodes and other symptoms.

I look at it this way: if you have some malignancy, you have it. The question is, what do you do? Panic is an option, but a very poor one. Each and every time I was diagnosed, I chose calmly to fight it.

And, since you have no pathology report stating that you have cancer, the only rational line of thinking is that you do not have cancer.

Live life. Love life. If something happens, deal with it then. You can actually shorten your life by worrying about things that never occur.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Newbie New User
    Po18guy, those sweats stopped. I just wanted to let you know I still keep this thread tabbed to peak and read your words. My tonsils are still weird looking but similar sized. Jaw still feels tingle-like. Just living life and monitoring.

Resolving symptoms are a very good sign. I have never heard of lymphoma doing that. People are still coughing and hacking - and it's July! Not a doctor, but guessing that you 1) picked up one of the unknown viruses that is still going around. Or 2-3 of them as that is not unheard of. The nodes may be impinging on a mandibular nerve. Or 2) your tonsilitis is causing the enlarged nodes - a good thing, as they are fighting infection. In the old days, those tonsils would simply have come out, but we understand more about their function these days.

In any event, my counsel is as above: live life and love life.