A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Goserelin

Newbie Regular User

About Goserelin

HI All, I'm new here. My daddy got prostate cancer last year and he did RP in 2018/12. After RP he is taking Goserelin every 3 months. I have several questions regarding this medicine.
    1. We unfortunately didnt put the injection to refrigerator while in California recently there are 2 days the temperature is above 25C and around 30C. Can we still use the medicine?
    2. Can we do injection by ourselves? I watched the video seems it is not hard.

Appreciate if anyone knows or anyone has knowledge about these.

Senior User
    They wouldn’t have you refrigerate the medication if it didn’t need to be refrigerated.
    DOB 5/1957

PSA - 11/2010=1.9, 6/12=2.3, 12/13=2.19, 12/14=2.64, 3/17=5.29, 3/17=3.91, 6/17=3.47, 12/17=4.50, 12/17=3.80, free PSA low risk (local (Uro, “My opinion you don’t have cancer), 8/18=5.13, 10/18=5.1, 10/19 ISO PSA 56% risk cancer. All DREs negative.

DX 12/18, GS 8, 4+4 6/12 cores, LL Apex 100%, LM Apex 60%, LL Mid 50%, LMM 40%, LL Base 5%, LM <5%, Right side negative, (Uro opinion “This has been going on for a year”.... ah, more like 2 years ). Bone scan/CT negative

2/25/19 R-LESS (Robotic Laparoendoscopic Single Site Surgery) outpatient Cleveland Clinic,

3/6/19. Pathology - Grade Group 4 with Intraductal Carinoma
    T3aNO, GS8, 21 mm unifocal tumor 10%. -7 Nodes, - SV, - Margins, - PNI,
    - bladder neck neg., +LVI, + EPE non focal apex/mid lateral 1mm max extension, Cribriform pattern present. Decipher .86 High Risk. 38% risk 5 year metastasis.

PSA 3/27/19 .03. (29 days)
    4/25/19 <.03. (58 days)
    5/25/19 <.02. (88 days)

ADT started 6/3/2019

Senior User
    Being new to hormone therapy following my RP ... as I am receiving a Lupron injection every three months, I am curious why you refer to refrigeration and self-injection as compared to myself going to the doctor every three months for the injection. I personally prefer to go to the doctor for the injection rather than give one to myself.

I am new and still learning ...
    Age DX 63 dob 1955
    8/11/16 CT scan (blood/sand in urine). Prostate norm w/cent calcification.
    11/6/18 GP freq urine/retro ejact. PSA 7.1 (RX Proscar/Flomax)
    12/18 PSA 4.1 14.8% Free Proscar? MRI Lesion 1.6cm. Lymph nodes sim to 2016 CT, prostate norm size. Stage 3. PIRADS 4
    1/19 Biopsy 2/5/19 DX
    2/19 Bone/CT scans: No evid met chest/abd/pelvis
    3/2019 RALP Cath out/post-op path rpt week later:
    G9 (4+5) (65-70% + 15-20%)
    Dominant tumor: 4.3 cm apex to base, bilat.
    LNI+ (4 of 12 on R, largest 4mm, 1 of 8 on L, 9 mm)
    EPE+ (right lat., post. and L lat. aspects apex to base and at ant. mid aspect)
    Intaraductal component+, BNI-, SVI+, LVI+
    SM+ (carcinoma unifocally extends to ant. mid margin area of EPE (2mm)
    Prostate fat: neg. pT3b pN1
    5/2019 Began oral Casodex. uPSA 0.11 2 wks later Lupron inject ( 3mo). 8 wks of RT begin Aug.
    6/19 uPSA .02

Newbie Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck2 View Post
    They wouldn’t have you refrigerate the medication if it didn’t need to be refrigerated.
    Thanks for replying. But if we don't put into refrigerator the temp is above 25C.

Newbie Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by Trex Dino View Post
    Being new to hormone therapy following my RP ... as I am receiving a Lupron injection every three months, I am curious why you refer to refrigeration and self-injection as compared to myself going to the doctor every three months for the injection. I personally prefer to go to the doctor for the injection rather than give one to myself.

I am new and still learning ...
    The reason is my daddy is visiting me here. The medicine is from other country by his doctor and I'm afraid no one will do the injection if the prescription is not from him/her.

The FDA data sheet for ZOLADEX (goserelin acetate) says

ZOLADEX 10.8 mg implant is supplied as a sterile and totally biodegradable D,L-lactic and glycolic
    acids copolymer (12.82-14.76 mg/dose) impregnated with goserelin acetate equivalent to 10.8 mg of goserelin
    in a disposable syringe device fitted with a 14-gauge x 36 +/- 0.5 mm siliconized hypodermic needle with
    protective sleeve [SafeSystem™ Syringe] (NDC 0310-0951-30). The unit is sterile and comes in a sealed, lightand moisture-proof, aluminum foil laminate pouch containing a desiccant capsule. Store at room temperature
    (do not exceed 25°C [77°F]).
    30°C (86° F) is only 9° F above the 25° C limit. I am sure the room temperature did not exceed 82 or 83° F for very long.

The injection instructions are quite specific about location and technique - it is the implantation of a storage/dispensing device. I grew up with a veterinarian father and did lots of animal injections. I also did many while doing research in graduate school. I would not want to try to duplicate the technique specified below (FDA instructions)

3. Grasp the blue plastic safety tab and pull away from the syringe, and discard. Remove needle cover.
    Unlike liquid injections, there is no need to remove air bubbles as attempts to do so may
    displace the ZOLADEX implant.
    4. Holding the syringe around the protective sleeve, using an aseptic technique, pinch the skin of the
    patient’s anterior abdominal wall below the navel line. With the bevel of the needle facing up, insert
    the needle at a 30 to 45 degree angle to the skin in one continuous deliberate motion until the
    protective sleeve touches the patient’s skin.
    NOTE: The ZOLADEX syringe cannot be used for aspiration. If the hypodermic needle penetrates
    a large vessel, blood will be seen instantly in the syringe chamber. If a vessel is penetrated, withdraw
    the needle and inject with a new syringe elsewhere.
    5. Do not penetrate into muscle or peritoneum.
    6. To administer the ZOLADEX implant and to activate the protective sleeve, grasp the barrel at the
    finger grip and depress the plunger until you cannot depress it any further. If the plunger is not
    depressed fully, the protective sleeve will NOT activate. When the protective sleeve ‘clicks’, the
    protective sleeve will automatically begin to slide to cover the needle.
    NOTE: The needle does not retract.
    7. Withdraw the needle and allow protective sleeve to slide and cover needle. Dispose of the syringe in
    an approved sharps collector.
    Have you tried one of the local walk in clinics? do you have the paper prescription, which validates your possession of the drug? I would think the customs office who admitted your father would have wanted to see that document.
    DOB: July 1947
    PSA: 2.0/2004 4.0/2010 5.8/2010 4.5/2012 5.6/2013 ALL Normal DRE
    5/18 PSA: 9.2
    6/18 PSA: 10.2 & 8.4% Free
    6/28 3T mpMRI PIRADS 3
    18 cc gland=PSD 0.57 ng/cc
    0.32 cc lesion in apical PZ with subtle T2 signal hypointensity
    mild restricted diffusion of contrast into lesion prostate unremarkable intact capsule
    7/18 4KScore 34% Probability Gleason =>7

8/03/18 Bx: Adenocarcinoma 6 of 13 cores ONLY L lobe
    T1c / Grade II / unfavorable intermediate
    extent of G3-G4 tissue far greater than indicated by MRI
    G6 (3+3) 70% LL Base 50% L Lateral Mid 20% L Base
    G7 (3 +4) 100% LL Apex 20% L Mid 60% L Apex
    8/15/18 Clear CT scan and Bone Scan
    RALP 8/23/18 pT3a, G7 (3+4), 20% involvement, SM+ (Focal 2mm G6), EPE(Focal G6)+, PNI+, LNI-, SVI-, LVI-
    7g Tumor 20x size in MRI & biopsy report & in BOTH lobes not just L as biopsy reported

PSA Post Surgery
    10/3/18 0.021
    01/4/19 0.018
    04/03/19 0.022
    06/26/19 0.028

Moderator Top User HighlanderCFH's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, Jerry.

How is your Dad doing now after the surgery?
    July 2011 local PSA lab reading 6.41 (from 4.1 in 2009). Mayo Clinic PSA 9/ 2011 = 5.7.
    Local uro DRE revealed significant BPH, no lumps.
    PCa Dx Aug. 2011 age of 61.
    Biopsy DXd adenocarcinoma in 3/20 cores (one 5%, two 20%). T2C.
    Gleason 3+3=6. CT abdomen, bone scan negative.
    DaVinci prostatectomy 11/1/11 at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN), nerve sparing, age 62.
    Surgeon was Dr. Matthew Tollefson, who I highly recommend.
    Final pathology shows tumor confined to prostate.
    5 lymph nodes, seminal vesicules, extraprostatic soft tissue all negative.
    1.0 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm mass involving right posterior inferior, right posterior apex & left
    mid posterior prostate. Right posterior apex margin involved by tumor over 0.2 cm length,
    doctor says this is insignificant.
    Prostate 98 grams, tumor 2 grams.
    Catheter out in 7 days. No incontinence, minor dripping for a few weeks.
    Seven annual post-op exams 2012 through 2018: PSA <0.1
    Semi-firm erections without "training wheels," usable erections with 100mg Sildenafil.
    NOTE: ED caused by BPH, not the surgery.

Newbie Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTiredSailor View Post
    The FDA data sheet for ZOLADEX (goserelin acetate) says

30°C (86° F) is only 9° F above the 25° C limit. I am sure the room temperature did not exceed 82 or 83° F for very long.

The injection instructions are quite specific about location and technique - it is the implantation of a storage/dispensing device. I grew up with a veterinarian father and did lots of animal injections. I also did many while doing research in graduate school. I would not want to try to duplicate the technique specified below (FDA instructions)

Have you tried one of the local walk in clinics? do you have the paper prescription, which validates your possession of the drug? I would think the customs office who admitted your father would have wanted to see that document.
    Thanks for the comments. I didn't try and the customer didn't request to see it. I watched some video from youtube and find out some patients do the injection by themselves. Anyway I'll try to see if I can find anyone with the license to do it for my daddy.

Newbie Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderCFH View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Jerry.

How is your Dad doing now after the surgery?
    He is feeling good. ONly some side effect from the medicine. Sudden sweatiness, ache on the thigh root.Others are fine. He walks much every day.

Moderator Top User HighlanderCFH's Avatar
    Excellent. And, the more he walks, the faster his recovery, etc. Good to hear that he is doing a lot of that.
    July 2011 local PSA lab reading 6.41 (from 4.1 in 2009). Mayo Clinic PSA 9/ 2011 = 5.7.
    Local uro DRE revealed significant BPH, no lumps.
    PCa Dx Aug. 2011 age of 61.
    Biopsy DXd adenocarcinoma in 3/20 cores (one 5%, two 20%). T2C.
    Gleason 3+3=6. CT abdomen, bone scan negative.
    DaVinci prostatectomy 11/1/11 at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN), nerve sparing, age 62.
    Surgeon was Dr. Matthew Tollefson, who I highly recommend.
    Final pathology shows tumor confined to prostate.
    5 lymph nodes, seminal vesicules, extraprostatic soft tissue all negative.
    1.0 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm mass involving right posterior inferior, right posterior apex & left
    mid posterior prostate. Right posterior apex margin involved by tumor over 0.2 cm length,
    doctor says this is insignificant.
    Prostate 98 grams, tumor 2 grams.
    Catheter out in 7 days. No incontinence, minor dripping for a few weeks.
    Seven annual post-op exams 2012 through 2018: PSA <0.1
    Semi-firm erections without "training wheels," usable erections with 100mg Sildenafil.
    NOTE: ED caused by BPH, not the surgery.