A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Endometrial Uterine Cancer Scare

Newbie New User

Endometrial Uterine Cancer Scare

So a quick background... I am 36, never been pregnant. When I was a freshman in college I had a few abnormal paps. Went through the colposcopy routine. They cleared up and never came back. Last Nov I had my yearly check and everything was still ok. I have been on birth control for a long time, since about 16. For many years I have been on the extended pills, a generic for Seasonique. During the last week of month three when you are supposed to have your period, I never really did. Doctors never seemed concerned about this. Back in the spring I started to haves some mild spotting. I guess it would be called breakthrough bleeding. It was very mild, not heavy at all, not even heavy like a normal period. But it concerned me because this is not my norm. Throughout my whole life I have never really had irregular periods or super heavy bleeding. Went to the GYN, had thyroid checked (Mom and Grandma have history of problems), everything was normal. Was advised to come back if it continued. Well it happened again last week. So today I went in for a vaginal ultrasound. Saw the nurse afterward. She said the ultrasound looked ok, but the doctor still had to read it which would take 24-48 hours. She then said my uterine lining was 10mm which was in the normal range. She said I had several options and mentioned a endometrial biopsy due to my age and being overweight. She said I could wait until the doctor read the results and see if they wanted me to come back or just go ahead and have it done to rule out cancer. She also changed my birth control to something with a higher dose of hormones (I was on a low dose pill). So.... my anxiety has taken over. Is she being overly cautions and proactive or do I have a cause for concern? I was NOT expecting to have this procedure done today, to me it seemed a little extreme to go there so soon since there are many things that can cause spotting and breakthrough bleeding. I went ahead with it, just to ease my mind, but now I am on pins and needles waiting. Thanks in advance for any advice or support.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Sorry you find yourself here and you are scared and anxious.

We can not possibly offer a guess as to your medical concerns, that is left up to the medical professional. After reading your post, it sounds like the nurse and doctor are being proactive, that's a good thing. The nurse provided you with the option which you decided to proceed with the biopsy. This being the case, results will be available fairly soon rather than wait to go back and have it performed at a later date.

Keep in mind, it is not cancer until pathology proves otherwise. You have had issues in the past so feel confident that your doctor is being thorough.

Until results are available, keep yourself busy and try to put this out of mind. Also, they are not looking for cancer, they are looking to rule it out.

Keep us posted.

Lisa

Newbie New User

Lining Measurements

I read a lot about the thickness of the uterine lining. I am wondering what is considered a normal measurement? Mine measured 10mm. I am 36, premenopausal, and on extended use birth control.

jess2778

I have merged your thread you posted with the Uterine cancer forum with your first started thread here in the worried forum as this is the place to post without a diagnosis.

While i can not offer the answer, there are a few which may be able once they are available so please check back often for replies.

Newbie New User
    Ok I had posted it in that forum because I thought it was the best place for the answer to that questions. I didn't think many people with the answer might look in this forum. Sorry.

No apologies necessary. The Uterine cancer forum is not very active so your post will probably be more visual here in the Worried forum