A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Colon Cancer or Polyps??

Newbie New User

Colon Cancer or Polyps??

Hi all! First post...

Yesterday, my primary physician said I have exact and consistent symptoms for colon cancer. Doctor Google (lol) sure confirms this to a tee (I waited 3 months and now I feel like a fool...). I have my colonoscopy Monday.

Can anyone tell me the difference between cancer and benign polyps symptoms?

My symptoms:

Nausea, thin stools or diarrhea (or constipation), always feeling like I have to go, loss of control (couple 3 times, wasn't done when I though I was, and got it all over me and the floor). red blood practically squirting into the toilet sometimes, headache, achy bones, major fatigue, anemia, had major night sweats about a month ago, now gone. (otherwise Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? LOL!)

Doesn't look good for just polyps. Opinions please? (I know, not a medical diagnoses, just your opinions would be appreciated).

Thanks!
    Rick
    Last edited by Spokane Rick; 07-03-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Go to the colonoscopy and listen to the gastrointerologist's conclusions carefully. It will take a couple of days to get the results read by an oncologist. Come back and let us know what you learn. Good luck!

doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED
    Continue ColoRectal Support Group monthly

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Rick,

Just as Doug said, you need to wait for the colonoscopy. Most seem ti come back clear but that is the only way to know for sure. The coctor who did mine gave me a pretty clear indication of what he thought even without waiting for the results.

Please pop back and let us know how it went.

Nick.
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

3 months isn't a terribly long time to wait, a lot of symptoms resolve on their own, and GI symptoms are often the results of anxiety.

Until they actually do the biopsy and analyze the cells in the pathology lab, there is really no way to guess. People get disturbing GI symptoms from Chron's, ulcerative colitis and irritable bowel syndrome as well.

Even if it does turn out to be cancer, nowadays there is a real good chance you can avoid major surgery. My sister in law had the chemo for colon rectal cancer and made it through fine- no colon resection, no colostomy, just lost some hair and was all clear in a year.

Think positive thoughts, get yourself prepped this weekend, and hopefully, you'll have an enjoyable colonoscopy.
    Nov 2013 PSA 4.2 Biopsy Jan 2014- 1 core positive, 20% Gleason 6, doctor highly reco'ed robotic RP - 2nd opinion at UPMC April 2014, put on active surveillance. 2nd biopsy Feb 2015, results negative. PSA test Feb 2016, 3.5. 3rd Biopsy Feb 2016. 3 positive cores less than 5%, Gleason 6. Octotype DX done April 2016, GPS Score of 24--rated "Low risk". PSA test 8/2016, 3.2. PSA test 1/2018 2.2 (after 7 months of proscar) PSA test 7/2018 2.3, PSA test 7/2019 2.0

DOB 1956, in Pittsburgh, USA