A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Worried About Possible Anal/Rectal/Colon Cancer

Exclamation Worried About Possible Anal/Rectal/Colon Cancer

So, back around February or March, I started making some changes to my diet to lose some weight. I'm 31, so I know that this issue isn't really something that most my age would experience. I was at around 187 lbs at the time and got myself into the 160 lb range. I started dropping a bit of weight after getting rid of some of my bad eating habits, but then I started noticing other things happening. My bowel movements became less frequent (which I attributed to just not eating as much or as bad) and then I started having some constipation issues.

I had a large bowel movement not long after this which gave me a hemorrhoid on my right side of my anus that didn't seem to go away as well as a generalized big "lump" underneath the skin/inside that came whenever I had a bowel movement. I went to the doctor and he had a quick look and he gave me prescription Hydrocortizone cream for the hemorrhoid and told me that he didn't see anything to be worried about and that I shouldn't worry about anything major like a tumor or anything. The problem is, the "lump" only happens right after passing stool and then goes away, so he wouldn't have seen the "lump", just the hemorrhoid. Since then, the hemorrhoid has gone away, but whenever I have a bowel movement, the "lump" inside still comes back. It's never there at any other time, ONLY immediately right after pooping. It even starts to recede as I wipe most times. I haven't experienced blood in my stool and only experienced tiny bits of blood when I wiped maybe 2-3 times total which I attributed to me probably wiping more aggressively than necessary.

In May, I had a seizure (history of them from when I was much younger) and got put on Keppra. Around this same time, I noticed a dramatic amount of weight loss over a few weeks with no real changes in diet other than just not being as hungry and trying not to eat crappy food. I went from something like 160 lbs to currently now being about 146 lbs. which for me is a big deal, as I have not been this weight since high school. I read online that Keppra can actually make people lose weight/appetite and at first attributed the extra weight loss to the new medication, but I'm still having the "lump" issue when I poop to this day. It is true that I have not been eating as much, but even on binge days I don't seem to pack on the pounds like I used to. Like I said, I'm only experiencing the "lump" on the right side directly after pooping, and it subsides pretty quickly after I'm done. I've checked many times at random times while in the bathroom and can't feel a thing if I'm not pooping.

The only thing that has concerned me is that the last week or two I've been having some stomach issues and my bowels have been a bit out of whack. I've been feeling like I'm not always "finishing" a poop and I've felt like I've had more gas in my stomach more than usual, but nothing too intolerable. It has actually subsided a bit in recent days, but the "lump" persists no matter what, again, ONLY right after a poop. It goes away within minutes of pooping and seems to only be there RIGHT after a poop or only minutes after, at which time it literally vanishes. Sometimes though, it can be VERY big, other times it's not as big.

Could this just be some sort of inflammation issue (I do have issues with inflammation from other health conditions), or could this be some form of cancer or something more serious? I have a doctor appointment in another week or two which I plan on bringing this up again when I'm there, but I wanted to know if anybody had any advice or could help me feel better about this situation. I'm a bit freaked out by the whole situation and was hoping maybe someone could tell me that I may just be overreacting or that it's nothing to worry about. Or at the very least, tell me that maybe it is something serious and that I should start doing more about it.

Any advice, help, or comments are greatly appreciated. I'm concerned and feel a bit alone and nobody seems to quite understand what I mean when describing this issue so I didn't know where else to turn.

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to your responses.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Sorry you have found yourself posting on a cancer forum. We are not doctors and can not and will not guess to the cause of your current health situation
    With that said, you are doing the right thing by following up with your doctor who, has all your health history including other known health issues.

Until your appointment arrives, keep busy, do not Google symptoms as Google is very good in convincing someone they are seriously ill. Google has not medical degree. Stop poking prodding.

While it is not unheard of, type of cancer you are worried about is not common in someone your age so that should provide some relief until you see your doctor. Certainly, jumping to thoughts of cancer are not helping so again, occupy your time and your appointment will be here before you realize

Quote Originally Posted by lisa1962 View Post
    Sorry you have found yourself posting on a cancer forum. We are not doctors and can not and will not guess to the cause of your current health situation
    With that said, you are doing the right thing by following up with your doctor who, has all your health history including other known health issues.

Until your appointment arrives, keep busy, do not Google symptoms as Google is very good in convincing someone they are seriously ill. Google has not medical degree. Stop poking prodding.

While it is not unheard of, type of cancer you are worried about is not common in someone your age so that should provide some relief until you see your doctor. Certainly, jumping to thoughts of cancer are not helping so again, occupy your time and your appointment will be here before you realize
    I'm told all the time not to Google stuff, lol. One of my disabilities is PTSD/Anxiety, so as you can imagine, it's very hard NOT to panic or "look into" things. Thank you for your response, it has made me feel a bit better.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Your post explains each and every one of your symptoms. Anxiety, you say? You will NEVER be at peace until you tackle and conquer the anxiety. The gold standard in therapy is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is drug free and can help restore your peace of mind. Just do it.
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    Your post explains each and every one of your symptoms. Anxiety, you say? You will NEVER be at peace until you tackle and conquer the anxiety. The gold standard in therapy is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is drug free and can help restore your peace of mind. Just do it.
    Believe me, I've done it all when it comes to the anxiety. I'm already heavily medicated because of it (as well as other things). The "lump" definitely is a trigger, though. I just find the situation strange that it literally disappears within minutes after a bowel movement. I've never heard anything like that before or heard anyone else talk about that specific issue on any forum or read it as a symptom of anything.