A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Fear....

Newbie New User

Fear....

Hello Everyone;

Needing any advice that can be given please. I currently live in Georgia and my mom & sisters are still in my home state of California. My mom (age 59) just had a colonoscopy completed on 7/3 and her G.I. Dr. found a few polyps along with a mass "the size of a golf ball" that he has sent for a biopsy. He told my mom that he "has seen a lot of cancer and that's what it looks like but she will have options like radiation". On her previous testing from an ER all of her blood work has come back perfect and normal , but her lymph nodes were listed as "worrisome for local spread".

I know that all we can do is wait for the biopsy to come back and proceed for answers/treatment from there but I have been driving myself crazy googling everything, looking at best and worst case scenarios, and crying 24/7. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, please.

Thank you to everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by MSchulte View Post
    Hello Everyone;

Needing any advice that can be given please. I currently live in Georgia and my mom & sisters are still in my home state of California. My mom (age 59) just had a colonoscopy completed on 7/3 and her G.I. Dr. found a few polyps along with a mass "the size of a golf ball" that he has sent for a biopsy. He told my mom that he "has seen a lot of cancer and that's what it looks like but she will have options like radiation". On her previous testing from an ER all of her blood work has come back perfect and normal , but her lymph nodes were listed as "worrisome for local spread".

I know that all we can do is wait for the biopsy to come back and proceed for answers/treatment from there but I have been driving myself crazy googling everything, looking at best and worst case scenarios, and crying 24/7. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, please.

Thank you to everyone!
    I think you are accurate in your post, "all we can do it wait for the biopsy..." encouraging your mom to try to get herself in as good a physical condition as possible is the best advice I can offer. Exercise is helpful to everyone, even if it is just walking 30-40 minutes every day, you too, by the way. One second observation is to stay off the google dr. It always takes you to the worst possible outcome.

You can get to google when you need a specific definition of a medical term or treatment.

Your mom will need to have someone with her as she meets with Docs and nurses in the coming weeks. Another set of eyes and ears is helpful.

I am sure there are or will be others to weigh in here to offer support. Come back and let us know what your mother learns in the coming weeks.

Good luck to her and you.

doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED