A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: My First Colonoscopy Update

My First Colonoscopy Update

Hi, everyone. About three weeks ago, I told you that today, I would have myself screened for CRCa. Well, today, it finally happened. To make a long story short, I was to go an entire day on liquids and then drink the prep at 4pm and drink liquids after finishing half of the bottom that were of any color except red or purple. The prep stuff was better for me at room temp than when in the fridge. Otherwise, I knock'd it out like a champ.

The colonoscopy was sched. at 7am. I got there at 5 'til. They prepped me, told me what to expect and I was on my way home around 9am. My gastro doctor said he saw two polyps, but could only take out one. He told me the reason he couldn't take out the additional polyp was because I was breathing funny {I believe I have sleep apnea and stopped breathing during the procedure} so he didn't feel comfy with trying to take out the other larger polyp without the proper equipment. I was at a clinic as supposed to a hosp. He also said that the main thing is the polyps were NOT cancerous.

Not long after I got home, one of the nurses who was not there during the procedure called me and said the polyp that was removed has to be taken to a lab to have a biopsy done. She went on to say that it's not definitive that I do/don't have CRCa. We won't know for sure until the results come back. The results could come back in about a week.

So, this is what has me confused. Gastro doc., is saying one thing while the nurse is saying another. I informed my nurse, that's not what the doc. said. She said sometimes a doc can look at a polyp and determine if it is/isn't cancer, but won't know for sure. So, on that area, I'm a bit confused. Can someone PLEASE help me out on that?

For me, the hardest part was the fear of bein' told I have CRCa. Everything else had its challenges, but nothing carried a heavier burden than the fear of having cancer. When the results come in and I'm told when I will have my polyp removed, I will let you know.
    D.O.B. 1973
    07/14 PSA 5.5
    08/14 Prostatitis & BPH
    07/15 PSA 5.9
    01/16 PSA 7.6
    03/16 PSA 6.2
    07/16 PSA 6.9
    10/16 PSA 6.9
    03/17 PSA 7.2
    05/17 3T MRI Good
    11/17 PSA 7.7
    11/18 PSA 10.8 Cipro for 2 wks
    07/18 PSA 11.9
    08/18 3T MRI: 3 per ZN focal ABN, 1 with a PI-RADS 4 lesion & 2 with PI-RADS 3 lesions. No extra PCa disease, pelvic LAD, or pelvic lesions
    02/19 MRI fusion biopsy
    05/19 PSA 18.67
    05/19 PSA 14.81
    Bx Findings
    A. PROSTATE, LESION 1, LEFT APEX, 3D MRI FUSION BIOPSIES: * BENIGN
    B. LESION 2, RIGHT MID GLAND *PCa, GS 4+3=7 (GRADE GRP 3) 3 OF 3 CORES
    (95% DISCONTINUOUS, <5%, <5%) * GS GRADE 4 60% OF THE TUMOR
    0 PERINEURAL INVASION IS PRESENT
    INFLAMMATION.
    C. LESION 3, DIFFUSE LEFT MID GLAND, 3D MRI FUSION NEEDLE CORE BX's
    PCa, GS 3+4=7 (GRADE GRP. 2) LESS THAN 5% OF THE FRAGMENTED CORES
    GS GRADE 4 INVOLVES 5% OF THE TUMOR
    2nd Bx OPINION
    A. Benign
    B. PCa, GS 3+3=6 (Grade Grp. 1) 80% of 1 core
    C. PCa, GS 3+3=6 (Grade Grp. 1) 20% of 1 core

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    OK, so this is how I see what you have been told based on my own experiences with having colonoscopies and having had 'bad news' and also 'good news' from the doctor doing them.

These guys are doing these day in day out and they get pretty good at telling what they are looking at. When I was diagnosed the doctor doing the colonoscopy said it look like cancer but of course technically it had to be confirmed by biopsy.

This works the other way as well so when you were told that your polyp wasn't cancerous what he really meant was he was sure from looking at it that it wasn't cancerous but the final confirmation would be by biopsy. This is not something to get worried about just that they always double check 'just in case' there is a rogue one.

Does that help? I think the nurse was just telling you it by the book as opposed to giving you her assessment based on experience.

Personally, I would do a little jig as I think you have dodged the bullet.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

Yes. What you wrote helps me a lot. So, I thank you so very much.

SW, I think what Nick has written conforms to my experience as well. In my case the gastro doc said, I had a 5cm tumor, 7 cm from the anal verge, he also said, "I've seen lots of tumors, Doug, and I am pretty confident it is cancerous, but we'll have it biopsied and let you know the results. I'll have my staff make an appointment with a surgeon, unless you have one in mind." I didn't and they made the appointment. I agree with Nick the nurse was doing what she's trained to do and the doc was giving you his (her) best assessment based on experience.

Go ahead, do the jig. Please come back to the thread and let us know your outcome. Good luck!

doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED