A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Oncological Safety of T Replacement Therapy in PC Survivors. Review and Meta-Analysis

Oncological Safety of T Replacement Therapy in PC Survivors. Review and Meta-Analysis

Oncological safety of testosterone replacement therapy in prostate cancer survivors after definitive local therapy: A systematic literature review and meta-analysis [2019]

Highlights

• Testosterone replacement therapy after prostate cancer definitive therapy with curative intent in hypogonadal men does not increase the risk of biochemical recurrence.
    • Hypogonadal men treated with radical prostatectomy experience lower biochemical recurrence rates than those who undergo primary nonsurgical therapies such as external beam radiation therapy, brachytherapy, cryotherapy, or high-intensity focused ultrasound after testosterone replacement therapy.
    Abstract

AIM:
    To evaluate the association between testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in prostate cancer (CaP) patients who underwent definitive local therapy with curative intent with biochemical recurrence (BCR).

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
    A literature search using PubMed, Scopus, Web of Science, and Cochrane Library was conducted on November 2018 to identify relevant studies according to the Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Review and Meta Analysis guidelines. The pooled BCR rate in CaP men treated with TRT after definitive local therapy with curative intent was calculated using a random effects model.

RESULTS:
    Twenty-one studies were eligible. The overall pooled BCR rate was 0.01 (95%CI 0.00-0.02) suggesting a lack of association between TRT and BCR; there was no heterogeneity among included studies (I2 = 24.34%, P = 0.15). In subgroup analyses, pooled BCR rates were 0.00 (95%CI 0.00-0.02) in patients treated with radical prostatectomy and 0.02 (95%CI 0.00-0.04) in patients treated with external beam radiation therapy, brachytherapy, cryotherapy, or high intensity focused ultrasound; there was no heterogeneity in the subgroup analyses (I2 = 19.88%, P = 0.18 ).

CONCLUSIONS:
    In this systematic review and meta-analysis, we did not observe higher rate of BCR after TRT for nonmetastatic CaP patients after definitive local therapy. Based on these data, others and we have outlined a phase I/II trial assessing the safety and benefits of TRT in select men with secondary symptomatic hypogonadism who have no active disease after definitive local CaP therapy with curative intent.
    [Emphasis mine]

Unfortunately neither the the Full Text nor References is free. Interesting multinational affiliation of authors.
    Last edited by DjinTonic; 07-14-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DjinTonic View Post
    Oncological safety of testosterone replacement therapy in prostate cancer survivors after definitive local therapy: A systematic literature review and meta-analysis [2019]

[Emphasis mine]

Unfortunately neither the the Full Text nor References is free. Interesting multinational affiliation of authors.
    Interesting my new doc isn't okay with me continuing testosterone replacement pre surgery but said that after surgery and we prove he got it all, we could restart testosterone again. I figured I'd question that at that time, if it comes.

Living without enough testosterone isn't living

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by IceStationZebra View Post
    Interesting my new doc isn't okay with me continuing testosterone replacement pre surgery but said that after surgery and we prove he got it all, we could restart testosterone again. I figured I'd question that at that time, if it comes.

Living without enough testosterone isn't living
    Interesting comment. I have been on Lupron for 6 weeks and going to do a T test this week. Based on symptoms so far, I could stay on Lupron forever. Yes, I know the other effects that arenít apparent.
    Last edited by Duck2; 07-14-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    DOB 5/1957

PSA - 11/2010=1.9, 6/12=2.3, 12/13=2.19, 12/14=2.64, 3/17=5.29, 3/17=3.91, 6/17=3.47, 12/17=4.50, 12/17=3.80, free PSA low risk (local (Uro, ďMy opinion you donít have cancer), 8/18=5.13, 10/18=5.1, 10/19 ISO PSA 56% risk cancer. All DREs negative.

DX 12/18, GS 8, 4+4 6/12 cores, LL Apex 100%, LM Apex 60%, LL Mid 50%, LMM 40%, LL Base 5%, LM <5%, Right side negative, (Uro opinion ďThis has been going on for a yearĒ.... ah, more like 2 years ). Bone scan/CT negative

2/25/19 R-LESS (Robotic Laparoendoscopic Single Site Surgery) outpatient Cleveland Clinic,

3/6/19. Pathology - Grade Group 4 with Intraductal Carinoma
    T3aNO, GS8, 21 mm unifocal tumor 10%. -7 Nodes, - SV, - Margins, - PNI,
    - bladder neck neg., +LVI, + EPE non focal apex/mid lateral 1mm max extension, Cribriform pattern present. Decipher .86 High Risk.

PSA 3/27/19 .03. (29 days)
    4/25/19 <.03. (58 days)
    5/25/19 <.02. (88 days)

ADT - 6/3/19
    ART - 8/5/19

Quote Originally Posted by Duck2 View Post
    Interesting comment. I have been on Lupron for 6 weeks and going to do a T test this week. Based on symptoms so far, I could stay on Lupron forever. Yes, I know the other effects that arenít apparent.
    On the gel juice, I was only at 600 or less total and felt great. Muscle increase, fat loss, elimination of brain fog and inability to concentrate, eliminated depression, I could mow the grass without having to take breaks. ED wasn't really a problem to begin with but it helped with that.

When the PSA hit 4.1, the doc had me stop cold Turkey and man....it was bad. I fell to 260 total testosterone and every problem above reared its ugly head

After the G6 and with my low psa overall, my urologist was okay with restarting testosterone. Not to body builder levels. He did it with clomid and I can tell you the natural isn't as good as external T. My levels say I should be at the same place as the gels but I'm not. Better but don't feel as well.

I recently changed doctors and the new doc isn't okay with the testosterone supplementation. So instead of cold turkey, I have been tapering until the script runs out. Oddly, I feel better with the every other day use. So I don't know.

I use my mind for work (CPA) and when I'm low, I can tell a tremendous difference in ability to concentrate, drive and my never quit.

I have no physical stamina any longer when low. I have a 3/4 acre lot with most grass in the back. So the front takes 20-30 minutes to mow. I have to stop 2-4 times just walking behind a mower.

The ability to go back on testosterone is a big draw in the plus column for surgery if treatment is required.

I'm glad to hear you aren't having symptoms. Best of luck.