A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Neuropathy and Abraxane

Newbie New User

Neuropathy and Abraxane

Hello,

My father (62 years old) is on gemcitabine abraxane chemotheraphy (3 weeks on and 1 week off), we are at the end of 3rd cycle. Before this combination we have tried folfirinox for 7 cycles, but it hasnÂ’t worked and we switched drugs. They did an mri scan 2 weeks ago, and they have seen that the 3 liver mets got smaller, so they want to continue with this treatment until the pet scan that they will do a month from now. He doesnÂ’t have a ca 19-9 marker, so it doesnÂ’t guide us.

Now he has problems with peripheral neuropathy, he has balance problems and he has trouble buttoning shirts. At this point it is durable but he has worries that it will get worse as we proceed with the treatment. Are there anyone who has been on long term gemcitabine abraxane theraphy? I have encountered many people on long term folfirinox theraphy on forums, but I havenÂ’t really seen anyone on long term theraphy on this combination. I wonder how you cope with the side effects?

Also after the 2nd day of infusion he has fever for 2-3 days as a side effect. He gets cortisone with the treatment but it doesnÂ’t prevent the fever. Our oncologist doesnÂ’t worry about this symptom. But I wonder if anyone else gets this?

Thank you for your help and for being here.

I was on Gemzar/Abraxane for a year, and went back on it again later. The neuropathy was severe, and I still have damage. I think it's permanent. I always try to warm my feet with electric blankets or baths (even if it's not cold, my feet always feel cold). I used the get fever in after the third monthly infusion.
    February 2016- diagnosed with PC
    March 2016- inoperable due to arteries, also liver mets suspected
    March 2016-January 2017 -Gemzar/Abraxane
    February 2017 surgery-PC tumour and liver mets removed at same time
    July 2018 Back on Gemzar/Abraxane due to rising CA 19-9. Scans were clear.
    January 2019 Tried FOLFIRINOX after G/A became ineffective. FFX doesn't work. CA 19-9 rising
    February 2019 two small tumors appear on liver
    May 2019 - CA 19-9 skyrocketing. Started IMRT radiation treatment.
    August 2019 MRI done. No Evidence of Disease (NED). CA 19-9 dropped significantly. Still not normal range.

Moderator Senior User BrigitteM's Avatar
    I am on a chemotherapy with Abraxane and a trial drug very similar to Gemzar. I've been on this regimen for 11 months and I'll start the 12th cycle next week.

I had problem with fevers as well. In fact high fevers and ended up many times in the ER until I was given cortisone. The cortisone helped. I was told the fever is a side effect of Abraxane.

As for the neuropathy, I do have neuropathy in my feet and I take care of it as Jackie does. I also noticed that it reversed, not totally but significantly, when I was given an additional break week, I mean that I had a 2-week break. On a long maintenance regimen such as this, I am sure you could discuss having such a break once in while to give the body time to recover.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    1/12/2016 No symptoms except ongoing fatigue; blood test revealed elevated liver enzymes
    1/18/2016 Liver ultrasound, then MRI confirmed enlarged bile duct
    1/21/2016 ERCP and placement of a temporary stent
    1/28/2016 CT-Scan showed a lesion on the head of pancreas
    2/09/2016 2nd ERCP + EUS + FNA
    2/12/2016 DX Borderline resectable pancreas ductal adenocarcinoma - Stage 3 @ 61
    2/24/2016 FOLFIRINOX 3 cycles (6 infusions)
    5/12/2016 CYBER-KNIFE Stereotactic Radiation 3 sessions
    6/16/2016 WHIPPLE + portal vein and right hepatic artery reconstructions - 0/19 nodes pos - no mets. Restaged to 1A
    8/31/2016 FOLFOX for 3 cycles (6 infusions)
    Sept 2016 Know Your Tumor - PANCAN.org
    11/4/2016 CT Scan clear - NED
    May 2017 Liver lesion - DX mild fatty liver disease - NED
    Aug 2017 Several small lung nodules - slow growth - NED until August 2018
    Aug 2018 Pancreatic metastasis confirmed by biopsy.
    Sept 2018 Starting clinical trial with RX-3117 and Abraxane (NCT03189914)
    March 2019 Lung nodules are stable