A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Worrying and Honesty...

Top User
    Unless prayer is just another vehicle for "sitting around with obsessive worry, concern and anxiety".

You can pray for anything: to lose weight, lower blood pressure, a good PSA result. But, if you believe in prayer your prayer has already been answered before you ask.

Pray all you want, but if you keep praying for the same thing then you're the one not listening.

Experienced User
    Disclosure: currently agnostic but raised Catholic.

I hope for the best, but still occasionally look upwards and pray for strength to handle whatever I am given.

The condensed advice from my RO that has helped me a lot:
    "Suck it up. Ask for help. Do the work."

Which I view as: Be honest with yourself about the situation and your reaction to it. Look for help when you need it since you are not alone. After you've accepted what needs to be done, get busy doing it.

When I had some struggles in college, my linguistics professor gave me a copy of this:
    http://www.pa56.org/ross/hajr3.htm
    Last edited by farmanerd; 08-04-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Advice not advise

Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by farmanerd View Post
    Disclosure: currently agnostic but raised Catholic.

I hope for the best, but still occasionally look upwards and pray for strength to handle whatever I am given.

The condensed advise from my RO that has helped me a lot:
    "Suck it up. Ask for help. Do the work."

Which I view as: Be honest with yourself about the situation and your reaction to it. Look for help when you need it since you are not alone. After you've accepted what needs to be done, get busy doing it.

When I had some struggles in college, my linguistics professor gave me a copy of this:
    http://www.pa56.org/ross/hajr3.htm
    Christians are agnostic. Correct that, more accurate to say Jesus was agnostic. He had his moments of doubt. Catholics, not so much. Disclosures: I accept the ways of Jesus; I find them quite remarkable and workable; the ways of the modern church of any era or faith, not so much.

Good attachment. Expectations are the source of all upset. The subsets being; unfulfilled expectation, thwarted intention, and undelivered communication. Any upset can be traced back to one or a portion of these three events.
    Last edited by Another; 08-04-2019 at 04:03 PM.

I would currently already be happy for a reliable option of getting my PSA checked. Easy in the US and Germany, major problem in Québec.

Here the system assumes patients have a PCP/family doctor and because I have cancer, my wait for a new one is just 274 days. I wonder why they don't just openly admit their tax funded system simply doesn't work. Instead, despite all their shortcomings, they are so patronizing that they don't allow patients like me to decide whether or not they need blood checked. Takes a referral from an MD. The slip of paper then needs be taken to some nurse service of theirs and results go back to the referring doctor. I as the patient may never learn about them because I couldn't understand them anyways. And sensitive PSA tests don't seem to exist or are done by labs I can't get referrals for.

All not ideal but the best I could do is stop worrying until I find a way to get descent standard service. Either next flight to Germany or does anyone know how much a PSA check costs in the US if I just go to a lab and have blood taken?

Quote Originally Posted by KarlEmagne View Post
    I would currently already be happy for a reliable option of getting my PSA checked. Easy in the US and Germany, major problem in Québec.

Here the system assumes patients have a PCP/family doctor and because I have cancer, my wait for a new one is just 274 days. I wonder why they don't just openly admit their tax funded system simply doesn't work. Instead, despite all their shortcomings, they are so patronizing that they don't allow patients like me to decide whether or not they need blood checked. Takes a referral from an MD. The slip of paper then needs be taken to some nurse service of theirs and results go back to the referring doctor. I as the patient may never learn about them because I couldn't understand them anyways. And sensitive PSA tests don't seem to exist or are done by labs I can't get referrals for.

All not ideal but the best I could do is stop worrying until I find a way to get descent standard service. Either next flight to Germany or does anyone know how much a PSA check costs in the US if I just go to a lab and have blood taken?
    Walk-in-lab's uPSA test (with Labcorp) is $109. Other Forum brothers have used them. Their other PSA tests are cheaper. Check if they, or another similar service, is also available in Canada.

Djin

Quote Originally Posted by DjinTonic View Post
    Walk-in-lab's uPSA test (with Labcorp) is $109. Other Forum brothers have used them. Their other PSA tests are cheaper. Check if they, or another similar service, is also available in Canada.

Djin
    It doesn't help if they were available in Canada because it's forbidden to use their services without first allowing some Québec MD to charge a consultation fee for agreeing that yes, with PCa I want to check PSA.

Never mind I can't get a family doc for referrals and that I'd have to line up for hours at their pathetic walk-in clinics.

But I will be travelling to NY shortly and then LabCorp might be an interesting option for me. They don't require a referral, do they?

Another unfunnily funny joke of theirs: migraine medication is prescription in Canada and when I managed to get to a doc last month I was told that there was no time for a migraine diagnosis nor prescription. Fine with them so long as the headaches are mine ...

It doesn't help if they were available in Canada because it's forbidden to use their services without first allowing some Québec MD to charge a consultation fee for agreeing that yes, with PCa I want to check PSA.

Never mind I can't get a family doc for referrals and that I'd have to line up for hours at their pathetic walk-in clinics.

But I will be travelling to NY shortly and then LabCorp might be an interesting option for me. They don't require a referral, do they?

Another unfunnily funny joke of theirs: migraine medication is prescription in Canada and when I managed to get to a doc last month I was told that there was no time for a migraine diagnosis nor prescription. Fine with them so long as the headaches are mine ...
    I'm sure a Forum Brother familiar with their procedure will fill you in.

You will probably need a order for a PSA test in NY. Available on line for a few dollars.
    DOB 5/1957

PSA - 11/2010=1.9, 6/12=2.3, 12/13=2.19, 12/14=2.64, 3/17=5.29, 3/17=3.91, 6/17=3.47, 12/17=4.50, 12/17=3.80, free PSA low risk (local (Uro, “My opinion you don’t have cancer), 8/18=5.13, 10/18=5.1, 10/19 ISO PSA 56% risk cancer. All DREs negative.

DX 12/18, GS 8, 4+4 6/12 cores, LL Apex 100%, LM Apex 60%, LL Mid 50%, LMM 40%, LL Base 5%, LM <5%, Right side negative, (Uro opinion “This has been going on for a year”.... ah, more like 2 years ). Bone scan/CT negative

2/25/19 Robotic Laparoendoscopic Single Site Surgery outpatient Cleveland Clinic,

3/6/19. Pathology - Grade Group 4 with Intraductal Carinoma
    T3aNO, GS8, 21 mm unifocal tumor 10%. -7 Nodes, - SV, - Margins, - PNI,
    - bladder neck neg., +LVI, + EPE non focal apex/mid lateral 1mm max extension, Cribriform pattern present. Decipher .86 High Risk.

PSA 3/27/19 .03. (29 days)
    4/25/19 <.03. (58 days)
    5/25/19 <.02. (88 days)
    9/10/2019. <.02. (198 days)

ADT - 6/3/19
    ART - 5 left

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybun078 View Post
    Hi guys.

Thank you so much for helping this scared wife. I'm stronger than I was when I first came here but still have some afraid moments.. I talk to Djin so much in his inbox that I felt he deserved a public thank you.

I can't lie, I try so hard not to worry about this upcoming PSA in Sept. Because I know it doesn't change anything except taking away today's peace.

Being realistic, even with a good final path you still just never know what your psa would be or if you can expect BCR. And it scares me so much. Can I get you guys honest thoughts on our Final path and how concerned you would be with this final path. I was talking to a coworker who husband went thru Ralp and etc and she has truly now freaked me out. I know each case is different but man.. This is so scary.. I commend all you strong folks in here. And those who have mastered not having psa anxiety, I need a class lol

And I share this with you guys because I have to be strong, hopeful, prayeful and worry free for him. Thanks for the no judgment.

One thing I think you should remember with support groups, whether online or in person- those who resolve their issue don't always stick around. In PC, this means that if someone has mono therapy surgery or radiation, their followup PSA scores are all fine, they tend to leave and that is that.

There are no decisions left to make, none to sound off of other patients, and they move on.

Its just the nature of this kind of place.

A lot of patients do well, the treatments are effective and the side effects are manageable.
    Nov 2013 PSA 4.2 Biopsy Jan 2014- 1 core positive, 20% Gleason 6, doctor highly reco'ed robotic RP - 2nd opinion at UPMC April 2014, put on active surveillance. 2nd biopsy Feb 2015, results negative. PSA test Feb 2016, 3.5. 3rd Biopsy Feb 2016. 3 positive cores less than 5%, Gleason 6. Octotype DX done April 2016, GPS Score of 24--rated "Low risk". PSA test 8/2016, 3.2. PSA test 1/2018 2.2 (after 7 months of proscar) PSA test 7/2018 2.3, PSA test 7/2019 2.0

DOB 1956, in Pittsburgh, USA

Worrying will not help prevent future unwanted medical adversities (if anything, you can make a case that chronic worrying may compromise your immune system and thus work against you). If you worry, and in, say, 5 years your PSA is fine, you've worried needlessly and fruitlessly for 5 years (or 10, or any number you choose!) If your PSA goes up in, say, 14 years, then, if you really must, start worrying then.

If this argument convinces you not to worry, great. If it doesn't, then let yourself be convinced by it. Things might really be that simple. If worrying about something prods you to take action, fine, it had a purpose; otherwise think carefully about the word needless in the phrase needless worry and just toss it out.

Djin
    Last edited by DjinTonic; 08-10-2019 at 03:31 AM.