A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Musings on Woodstock

OT: Musings on Woodstock

Last night my wife and I watched the most interesting documentary that I've ever seen on Woodstock. Since the 50th anniversary is still a week away, I'm sure PBS will be airing it again. The 105 minute program told a lot of what was going on behind the scenes, some of which I hadn't known before.

My wife being naturally inquisitive was full of questions. Since we've been together nearly 40 years, she knew the general story, that my car had broken down en-route and so I missed the first night. In a way that was a good thing. But she wanted to know a lot of the details, things I'd never spoken about before, mainly because no one was really interested.

She asked lots of "did you do this" and "why didn't you do that" kind of questions. It made me realize that going to Woodstock was in many ways like being in the military or having cancer... those who have never been there themselves have no idea what it's like. They cannot truly understand and just don't "get it". It wasn't just an experience... it was something I survived!

We are all put in various situations throughout our lifetimes, and we react in the best way we can at the moment, having no idea what the outcome will be. This is what becomes the story of our lives.

When my wife and I retired and emptied our house to move to Florida, the two "treasures" I always believed I'd find were my military dog tags and what was left of my Woodstock ticket. They may still be in a box somewhere in storage. Both are totally worthless but represent memories that I still hold dear.

And now that both my brother and my best friend have died within the past decade, there is no one left alive (other than maybe my younger sister) that could attest that I actually was there. Surprising, given that there were about a half million of us there, it's amazing that I've never bumped into anyone else who was there and might be interested in swapping our stories.

There was a lot more that happened on that trip. I lost my virginity and within months I would be drafted in the first draft lottery and shipped overseas. Would I change anything?

Probably not. Well, maybe I would not have had that hoagie with something called "kobatsa sauce" while waiting for my car to get fixed on the way home from the festival. But who knows what sort of "butterfly effect" that might have had.

Truth is, I am alive and have some great stories to tell, and a family that I can tell them to. Someday I'll be that old codger sitting in a rocking chair telling stories of my youth. A lot happens in fifty years, but there's been nothing quite like that summer.
    Late 2012: PSA 4, age 62 all DRE's 'normal'
    Early 2014: PSA 9.5, TRUS biopsy (false) negative
    2015: PSA's 12 & 20, LOTS of Cipro ... Mar'16: PSA 25, changed Urologist
    Jun'16: MRI fusion biopsy, tumor right base, 6/16 cores: 2ea 15-40-100% G8(4+4)
    Aug'16: DVRP,
    "broad cut" 11 LN-,-SM, 53g 25% involved, multifocal EPE, PNI, B/L SVI, pT3b

Jan'17:
    began Lupron ADT, uPSA's ~.03
    May'17: AMS800 implanted, revised 6/17
    Aug'17: 39 tx (70 Gy) RapidArc IGIMRT
    Jan'18-July 2019: PSA's <0.008, T~12
    Apr'18: Dx radiation colitis, Oct'18: Tx sclerosing mesenteritis
    "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you cannot see"

Mrs: Dec 2016: Dx stage 4 NHL/DLBCL,
    Primary Bone Lymphoma
    spinal RT boost+6X R-CHOP21+6X IT MTX via LP. Now in remission
    Read our story at CancerCoupleBlog

Senior User
    RobLee--

In the summer of 69, I was 10 and living on Vandenberg, AFB, listening to my parents grouse about the "hippies".

--MRJ
    Age at Dx 57
    PCa History: Father, Uncles, Grandfathers

Oct 2016 Biopsy 12 core: Adenocarcinoma, Gleason 4+3=7 Grade Group 3) w/PNI
    Left Lateral Base: Suspicious
    Left Lateral Mid: PIN
    Left Base: 4+3=7 (60% pattern 4) Core involvement 30% (5mm)
    Right Base: Suspicious
    Right Apex: 3+3=6 Core involvement 60% (7mm) discontinous
    Right Lateral Mid: 3+3=6 Core involvement 10% (1mm)
    Right Lateral Apex: 3+3=6 Core involvement 10% (1mm)

Jan 2017 DaVinci - Dr. Grant Taylor - Path = pT2c pNX pMX; Gleason 4+3=7; Weight: 42g

Jun 2019 AMS800 installed - Dr. David Rapp - Jul 2019 activated

ED: Light to moderate

(Note: All PSA tests prior to Jun19 were done by LabCore)
    PSA_TESTS

Apr 2016=5.1
    Jul 2016=4.7
    Aug 2016=5.13

----Surgery----

Mar17<0.01
    Jul17<0.01
    Oct17<0.01
    Jan18<0.01
    May18<0.01
    Nov18<0.01
    Jan19<0.01
    Jun19<0.02

Rob....some of my buddies were headed up to Woodstock, and wanted me to go with them. As a new 2nd LT, home on leave before entering pilot training at Williams AFB, there was no way I could take that risk. If even half of what my buddies boasted about was true, it was an amazing event.

Did you really pop your cherry, in the mud, up there?
    72...LUTS for the past 7 years
    TURP 2/16,
    G3+4 discovered
    3T MRI 5/16
    MRI fusion guided biopsy 6/16
    14 cores; four G 3+3, one G3+4,
    CIPRO antibiotic = C. Diff infection 7/16
    Cured with Vanco for 14 days
    Second 3T MRI 1/17
    Worsened bulging of posterior capsule
    Oncotype DX GPS 3/17, LFP risk 63%, Likelihood of Low
    Grade Disease 81%, Likelihood of Organ Confined 80%
    RALP 7/13/17 Dr. Gonzaglo @ Univ of Miami
    G3+4 Confirmed, Organ confined
    pT2 pNO pMn/a Grade Group 2
    PSA 0.32 to .54 over 3 months
    DCFPyl PET & ercMRI Scans - 11/17
    A one inch tumor still in prostate bed = failed surgery
    All met scans clear
    SRT, 2ADT, IMGT 70.2 Gys @1.8 per, completed 5/18
    Radiation Procitis, and Ulcerative Colitis flaired after 20 years
    PSA <.006 9/18, .054 11/18, .070 12/18, .067 2/19, .078 5/19, .074 7/19, .081 9/19
    We'll see....what is not known dwarfs what is thought to be fact

My sister has lived in Woodstock since 1967.

She and her late husband attended the 1969 event and all others at the (35 miles away) site since then. Always, they broke in without paying. What did you expect of hippies?

She’s 83 now, and still sky dives from high altitudes. Ah, to have an older sister who is still cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ASAdvocate View Post
    She’s 83 now, and still sky dives from high altitudes...
    The best altitudes to sky dive from!

Experienced User
    It’s a long story but I spent approximately thirty minutes at the festival on Sunday. I can prove it with the two complimentary Sunday tickets that I never had to present.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by garyi View Post
    Did you really pop your cherry, in the mud, up there?
    Yes and no... it wasn't in the mud at the festival, but on the trip home. I stopped in to visit a friend... He had started the trip with me but took a bus back home when the going got tough. When he saw me (god knows how I must have looked) he just said, "you should be DEAD!"

A friend of his was something of a nympho. Once I got cleaned up we were talking and the subject of my sexual inexperience came up, and she whispered in my ear "I know what to do with virgins" and led me into the bedroom.

Needless to say, I was exhausted and didn't do well. Heck, the whole trip was exhausting. That's why 18 year olds are the ones who were drafted and sent off to war. The fact that I lived thru all of this is still amazing, even to me.

Great diversion Rob! Glad you survived Woodstock '69 and now share your experience!

Very sorry that you will not be jumping into your car next week and heading up I-95 to the Baltimore area (No Not to Johns Hopkins!) for the now cancelled Woodstock 50th Anniversary Event.

Maybe we FBs & FSs should all get together and have a "ForumStock" gathering in some remote corner of the country.

Enjoy the memories!

MF
    Last edited by Michael F; 08-08-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael F View Post
    Great diversion Rob! Glad you survived Woodstock '69 and now share your experience!

Very sorry that you will not be jumping into your car next week and heading up I-95 to the Baltimore area (No Not to Johns Hopkins!) for the now cancelled Woodstock 50th Anniversary Event.

Maybe we FBs & FSs should all get together and have a "ForumStock" gathering in some remote corner of the country.

Enjoy the memories!

MF
    My name proposal: The Prostate Cancer Forum's 2020 Jamboree, subtitled: Putting your Finger on Prostate Problems

Quote Originally Posted by ASAdvocate View Post
    My sister has lived in Woodstock since 1967. She and her late husband attended the 1969 event and all others at the (35 miles away) site since then. Ah, to have an older sister who is still cool!
    Yes, she sounds very cool, and I hope she is doing well. For me, no way I would ever be interested in returning there!

Quote Originally Posted by enock View Post
    It’s a long story but I spent approximately thirty minutes at the festival on Sunday.
    Interesting that you were able to get in and out so easily (I presume). For me it was an ordeal, took over a week, walked many miles, nearly starved. But as with many things in life, it could have gone a lot worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael F View Post
    Very sorry that you will not be jumping into your car next week and heading up I-95 to the Baltimore area for the now cancelled Woodstock 50th Anniversary Event.

FWIW, that "other prostate forum" is planning a gathering in Baton Rouge area within coming weeks.
    Late 2012: PSA 4, age 62 all DRE's 'normal'
    Early 2014: PSA 9.5, TRUS biopsy (false) negative
    2015: PSA's 12 & 20, LOTS of Cipro ... Mar'16: PSA 25, changed Urologist
    Jun'16: MRI fusion biopsy, tumor right base, 6/16 cores: 2ea 15-40-100% G8(4+4)
    Aug'16: DVRP,
    "broad cut" 11 LN-,-SM, 53g 25% involved, multifocal EPE, PNI, B/L SVI, pT3b

Jan'17:
    began Lupron ADT, uPSA's ~.03
    May'17: AMS800 implanted, revised 6/17
    Aug'17: 39 tx (70 Gy) RapidArc IGIMRT
    Jan'18-July 2019: PSA's <0.008, T~12
    Apr'18: Dx radiation colitis, Oct'18: Tx sclerosing mesenteritis
    "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you cannot see"

Mrs: Dec 2016: Dx stage 4 NHL/DLBCL,
    Primary Bone Lymphoma
    spinal RT boost+6X R-CHOP21+6X IT MTX via LP. Now in remission
    Read our story at CancerCoupleBlog