A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Squamous Cell LC with occult primary

Experienced User
    I have some very good news and some questions.

Last Friday (end of week 4 of chemoradiotherapy), my radiation oncologist told me that all three of my lymph node tumors had dramatically shrunk and were almost gone. Since I didn’t have any actual tumor in my lungs (as far as they could tell), this is really good news. I saw my radiation oncologist again this morning, but she didn’t give me any more updates on progress. I think that was because we were more concerned about side effects. Or rather side effect singular, because the only serious side effect I have had so far is radiation burn on my neck. She assured me that what she saw I.e. the actual condition of my skin was more or less standard for this stage of treatment. I am just having an issue with pain, because the Oxycodone is turning out to be ineffective for me (well, it gives me side effects, but doesn’t seem to relieve the pain); Tylenol is more effective as far as it goes. I suppose I will just have to suck it up. Only 5 more radiation treatments left.

My medical oncologist wants me to extend the Carbotaxol for two additional sessions because I have been doing so well on it. So, we are going to tack on infusion 7 & 8 next week and the week after.

So good news there.

My question is about possible immunotherapy. I am worried about this because I have a history of autoimmune disease (and tested positive for anti-nuclear antibodies). As far as I know, the clinical trials with Imfinzi excluded patients with autoimmune disease, so there just isn’t a lot of information out there on the safety of immunotherapy in cases like mine. That coupled with the fact that by the time we do pre-immunotherapy CT-scan six weeks after the end of chemoradiation, I may very well have a “complete response” makes me wonder if I should risk not going forward with the Imfinzi.

I have already discussed the possibility with my thoracic oncologist (one of the authors of the Pacific Trial; so, a real expert) before I began chemoradiation and he seemed genuinely perplexed about what to recommend. He hemmed and hawed, mentioned the fact that I had autoimmune disease (possible counterindication) that my PD-L1 was high (possible motivation) and finally just said: “Let’s see how you handle the chemoradiation. In the meantime, we will keep that as a maybe.”

Another issue as I see it, is that Imfinzi is for people with stage 3 NSC lung cancer, but I only have presumed stage 3 NSC lung cancer. In other words, it is not even 100% sure I have lung cancer.

I think it would be nice to get the Imfinzi to mop up any micrometastases that may be out there. But I also know that squamous cell carcinoma tends to spread locally and regionally before it metastasizes distantly and the radiation I am getting is already including apparently uninvolved lymph nodes surrounding the involved ones.

I’m not expecting any one here to make a decision for me (I mean if even an expert is left scratching his head ....), I just want to say that I think it will be a hard choice to make and do not know how I will make it.

Hi

Sounds like treatment is going well. Congrats on that!

With regards to the follow on treatment. Would you be in the PACIFIC Trial? Or would you be definitely be given Imfinzi? If you are in the trial you might be given a placebo.

mike
    At the time - 46 yo male, non-smoker
    Sept 2012 - DX - One tumor NSCLC Squamous Cell Right Upper Lung
    Oct 2012 - TX - Treatment similar to Pancoast Tumor - Pre-operation radiation and chemo (5.5 weeks of IGRT and 3 cycles of Cisplatin and Etoposide)
    Dec 2012 - Surgery - Remove RUL, Surgical Pathology Report Adenocarcinoma T2N0M0
    Now - Wait, watch, & pray

Very good news on your progress.

As for you question that is a difficult one. My husband lucked out and the chemo and radiation was enough to make him NED (no evidence of disease) and has been now for 5+ years. Due to your unique situation it is hard to say even if you are NED afterwards if that will be all the treatment you need with no danger of recurrence. I guess that would be my question to the doctors - based on the info they have now, what do the doctors think your chance of recurrence is?

May your good progress continue!
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Hi, Melisande. Nice to hear your update. I have to say that I’m perplexed that a doctor suggested immunotherapy following your chemoradiation. It sounds speculative at this point, at the best. To suggest that there may be “microstases” following radiation AND chemotherapy defies my understanding, but I am not a doctor.

As immunotherapy is relatively newer, especially Imfinzi, ask your doctor what their approach would be if Imfinzi didn’t exist? If there wasn’t yet another expensive treatment to administer?

Remember what we said before, there are no 100% guaranteed treatments in this space.

Experienced User
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.b View Post
    Hi

Sounds like treatment is going well. Congrats on that!

With regards to the follow on treatment. Would you be in the PACIFIC Trial? Or would you be definitely be given Imfinzi? If you are in the trial you might be given a placebo.

mike
    It wouldn’t be the trial. It would just a treatment option plain and simple.

Experienced User
    @jorola,

Thanks, that was exactly the question I was thinking of asking.

I’m am going to go back and read about your husband’s experience again.

Experienced User
    @IndyLou,

Yes, immunotherapy after concurrent chemoradiation is now considered standard of care for stage III NSC lung cancer. For H&N cancer, immunotherapy is only offered for stage IV disease.

The problem as I see it is that it has not been proven I actually have lung cancer, it is merely presumed. I stopped worrying about the actual diagnosis during chemoradiation because I would have been treated in a very similar fashion whether I had a H&N cancer or lung cancer. Well, actually, my thoracic oncologist (the medical oncologist) told me that the radiation I am getting is non-standard for lung cancer, but standard for H&N. (Among other things, lung cancer patients get a lower dosage of radiation— only 60Gy in 30 sessions. I am getting 66Gy in 33 sessions.) My Carbotaxol chemo is standard for stage 3 lung cancer, but I probably would have had it anyway even if I had had a clear H&N diagnosis because I would not have accepted Cisplatin.

But now with immunotherapy it will make a difference if it really is lung cancer or not. Presumably my thoracic oncologist is aware of all the question marks behind the diagnosis and will be open to me possibly refusing the treatment.

Although, I have to say, it is psychologically difficult to refuse any treatment even if it might be the right thing to do.

I am also wondering what the efficacity curve for immunotherapy is like. I think it’s possible that you get the most benefit for your treatment buck early in the game, so maybe I could just have a few sessions instead of doing an entire year of treatment. That is something else I am going to ask about.

But then again, if I have NED by late December which I am expecting at this point (golly probably shouldn’t write that and tempt fate though), how will I know if the immunotherapy is doing anything or not?