A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Exercise w/ Central Port

Newbie New User

Exercise w/ Central Port

Hi - I was diagnosed June 11, 2019 with Stage IV PC. I have gone through 4 cycles of Folfirinox via central port just below my right clavicle. It has healed well and is in really good shape presently. My question: does anyone else do moderate (or greater) exercise with ports? I am relatively young ( 48 ), and was a runner up until my dx. Now I feel as though my muscles are wasting away and I get out of breath far too easily -- but I am very worried about overdoing it with the port. Any input appreciated.

Brad

Super Moderator Top User ddessert's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It was an Ironman athlete like this one that motivated me to get off my butt 5 weeks after the Whipple and start riding the bike again. I recall reading that she was training for these events on her bike with the 5-FU 46-hour pump behind her saddle. I thought that if she could do that, I could get back to it, too.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/07/2...cancer-battle/

While I was doing chemo (not with a port, but a PICC line), I rode my bike almost every day. On my weakest days, I could only do 2-3 miles, but I’d work my way up to 30+ miles before the next cycle. My biggest concern was diarrhea, but I found that my intestines sorta shut down while exercising, possibly because the blood was needed for my legs.
    BRCA2 3398del5
    Dec 2010 - back/abd pain
    May 2011 - Unresectable stage III, 2.5cm tumor
    Jun-Aug 2011 - Gem/Cis, 9 rounds
    Oct-Nov 2011 - IMRT+Xeloda
    Oct 2011-Sep 2012 - shrinking tumor
    Feb 2012 - National Familial Pancreatic Study
    Aug 2012 - Downgraded to stage IIA, PGP
    Sep 2012 - Whipple, T3N0M0, 0.5cm tumor, 0/16 lymph nodes
    Dec 2012 - Quebec PanCan Study
    Sep 2012-May 2019 - NED
    Mar 2013-present - NCT01088789
    Jun 2019- NCT03805919
    @pancanology

Newbie New User
    Thank you. Truly inspiring.

Newbie New User
    I've had a port in my chest near my left shoulder for 5-1/2 years. My surgeon knew that I was a runner and encouraged his patients to maintain reasonable activity. On the day he was to install the port I asked him how long to avoid running. He told me I could go running the day after my surgery. So I did and had a good run of about 2 miles with no problem.

He was also my doctor for colon surgery. I had a 6 inch incision in my right side and had to have abdominal muscles cut there. The same surgeon had me up and walking the day after surgery. He also mapped out scheduled activity to get me back running after surgery. That took a while but as you mentioned an exercise bike helps a lot. With my doctor's help I completed a 35 mile triathlon 3 months after surgery with no problems. I was 59 then. I did the same race last year at 63 and 4-1/2 years of Stage 4 cancer that has been controlled fairly well by fairly aggressive chemo.

I'm very thankful to feel great (except for those dreaded side effects). I'm also thankful for the prayers of many friends and believe I'm still here because of the grace of God. Not that I'm any better than anyone else, maybe just a bit more dependent on help from above (because I've needed it).

By the way you are a trooper for doing 4 Folfirinox sessions. I'm on my second now but my oncologist had to cut out the oxaliplatin. For some weird reason it crashed my blood pressure. Thankfully, the nurses cut off the chemo and gave me fluids. Even then I was unconscious for 5 minutes in my chemo chair. That was treatment 2 of my second session. I'm glad you handle it better than I do.

This may sound like a lot but I was just returning to my usual level of activity. If you have a doctor that sees the value of exercise then be sure to get his advice. If not then try to find a physical therapist or doctor who will probably tell you that you can do more than you think you can.

Live long and prosper.
    Last edited by BlessedToday; 08-16-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyLumpkin View Post
    Hi - I was diagnosed June 11, 2019 with Stage IV PC. I have gone through 4 cycles of Folfirinox via central port just below my right clavicle. It has healed well and is in really good shape presently. My question: does anyone else do moderate (or greater) exercise with ports? I am relatively young ( 48 ), and was a runner up until my dx. Now I feel as though my muscles are wasting away and I get out of breath far too easily -- but I am very worried about overdoing it with the port. Any input appreciated.

Brad
    The doctor that put my port in said I could do anything I wanted except for contact sports. He also said to avoid water that isn't treated, e.g. don't swim in a nasty creek or lake.

I've exercised some since my port was put in. Same location as yours. The problem I have here is the heat. I just can't take it while recovering in between chemo infusions.

I sometimes get some soreness around my port after physical activity, but nothing too bad and my doctor said it's okay. I've walked, hiked, run, and been biking. And I've thrown baseballs with my kids. I regularly do yard work (mow grass, etc) and it's all okay. I'm just a lot slower than I used to be

Be careful with hugs. I'm kind of tall, and people have hit my port with their head. It can hurt.

BTW - I just saw your PM and responded to it. Sorry, I haven't been on the forum here in a while.
    Apr. '19 - Diagnosed Stage IV with many liver mets, CA 19-9 500,000
    May. '19 - Started chemo - FOLFIRINOX
    Jul. '19 - CA 19-9 100,000
    Aug. '19 - CA 19-9 77,000 CT scan shows shrinkage in tumors
    Sep. '19 - CA 19-9 52,000 (continuing chemo)
    Houston,TX

Newbie New User
    Thank you Blessed and lego! I'm going to start with some easy 2 mile runs to see how things go. Appreciate all the input.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by BlessedToday View Post
    By the way you are a trooper for doing 4 Folfirinox sessions. I'm on my second now but my oncologist had to cut out the oxaliplatin. For some weird reason it crashed my blood pressure. Thankfully, the nurses cut off the chemo and gave me fluids. Even then I was unconscious for 5 minutes in my chemo chair. That was treatment 2 of my second session. I'm glad you handle it better than I do.
    Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm through 5 now, and the major side effect from the ox is the neuropathy. Pretty bad and lingering longer with each session - but thankfully it's still warm up here in Mass.