A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just don't know

Newbie New User

I just don't know

first off I want to get started by saying I'm not here undermine anyone who is actually afflicted by cancer in any capacity I just need a place to turn to until next week when I see my Doctor I'm not looking for a diagnosis because I know that is not what you folks do.

I'm a 32 year old white male who has maybe in his entire life smoked maybe a pack and it was usually associated with drinking none of that has been relevant for almost 5 years been going through Alarming symptoms for a couple of weeks now. ( I know that my fears are probably unfounded it)
    1.the most prominent and concerning is: poor appetite, fullness after eating a small amount of food, weight loss (I was at 190 when all this started and am now at 184 as of this morning, I have been in the process of losing weight and getting inshape but I had stopped about a month ago and my weight evened out between 190-193, then I suddenly lost my appetite and my weight started to fall with it) Also I do tend to get gassy after eating as well. some mild abdominal pain (almost like a twinge) and discomfort.
    my hunger does come in but much less frequently as it should
    2. all the while I have noticed a increase in urination maybe its from my increase in water again I don't know
    3. my bowel movements have kind of been all over the place as well sometime seemed to be minimal and much more lose than usual to having diarrhea a couple of times, to them looking as they normally should
    4. I sometimes will get a strange sensation to hot and cold that would run up my limbs that sometimes happen a few times a day very sporadic that give me a very light sweat
    5. Around the time everything started I had a pain that ran up the back of my neck on the right side and then eventually up on the left side. After a couple of days it disappeared and for a short time I would get a tight sensation when ever I craned my neck down, now I'm left with a residual twinge of pain if I move my head just right to the right angle i did also briefly experince some ear pain.
    everything seemed to hit me all at once.
    I did go to see a GP who gave me a physical and noted nothing was out of the ordinary and ordered a CBC and a comprehensive metabolic panel
    the panel shows everything within normal ranges
    the CBC causes a little concern form me but the nurse said it was just dehydration.
    my WBC is slightly elevated
    RBC slightly elevated
    Hemoglobin normal
    Heoatocrit slightly elevated
    MCV normal
    MCH Normal
    MCHC normal
    RDW slightly lower than normal
    Platelet normal
    Neut Absolute slightly elevated
    Lymphocytes normal
    Monocytes normal
    Eosinopils Absolute normal
    Basophil right at 0

I know I'm probably being more hypochondriac about it than I should be but again I just don't know

edit:the only instances of cancer in my family I can recall are, both on my Grandmother's side a Great uncle that I think died of PC or prostate, I'm not sure I was very young when he died, and a greataunt I believe died in her mid 50's from lung cancer even though she never smoked
    Last edited by Syndicate; 08-19-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Sorry you find yourself posting on a cancer site and as you already know, we can not guess to the cause of your many symptoms which has you worried. However, jumping to thoughts of cancer is pretty extreme based on random symptoms which may or may not be related. Guessing you may have Googled symptoms, thus bringing you to a cancer site?

You are doing the right thing by seeing your doctor. At your appointment, explain your worry and then see what your doctor has to say. It is all we can really suggest for the time being.

Good luck to you. Keep yourself busy until your appointment and do not Google.

Newbie New User
    yes google did bring me here, I know its an extreme to deal with especially at my age, I am aware that there is a good chance some or even all of these symptoms might be in my head. I wholeheartedly appreciate your sentiment

Newbie New User
    it appears my initial post has disappeared, I apologize for any confusion

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    What kind of cancer would do all that?
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    What kind of cancer would do all that?
    None that I know of. I know I need to quell my anxiety it doesn't help when you step on the scale every morning and see a pound gone without doing anything

Newbie New User
    if I have to be honest, I'm most afraid of it being Stomach cancer, primarily because its focused on fullness after eating a little, bloating, and loss of appetite.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    if I have to be honest, I'm most afraid of it being Stomach cancer, primarily because its focused on fullness after eating a little, bloating, and loss of appetite.
    and weight loss

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndicate View Post
    None that I know of. I know I need to quell my anxiety it doesn't help when you step on the scale every morning and see a pound gone without doing anything
    Anxiety can produce over 100 actual symptoms - those which you are experiencing and 90+ more. But, anxiety is 100% treatable, often without drugs.

Ask doctor about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy - the gold standard in aniety treatment.

Oh, and posting on a cancer forum feeds your anxiety. It can do nothing to help.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    Anxiety can produce over 100 actual symptoms - those which you are experiencing and 90+ more. But, anxiety is 100% treatable, often without drugs.

Ask doctor about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy - the gold standard in aniety treatment.

Oh, and posting on a cancer forum feeds your anxiety. It can do nothing to help.
    I will do just that, thank you for the advice, and don't take this wrong way, if next week I get good news, you will not hear from me again after this post