A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: SCLC-reoccurrence May 2018, now Mets to Brain & Stomach

Newbie New User

SCLC-reoccurrence May 2018, now Mets to Brain & Stomach

Looking for advice. My mom was orig diagnosed May 2016. Chemo+radiation. NED Sept 2016. Reoccurrence in lungs May 2018. Did first line chemo again Summer 2018. Then my dad got diagnosed 8/2018, stage 4 pancreatic cancer. 🙁 Mom got a break from tx, dad passed Dec 2018. Mom back on second line chemo 2019. Found lots of mets in brain Aug 2019. Now a spot in the stomach too. Deteriorating by the day. Weíve done 5 out of 10 scheduled radiation tx to brain. Less coherent, less good days. Dr says itís the brain cancer. With my dad, he had one bad week, lung collapsed, ICU for 4 days, came home on hospice & died 24 hours later. We arenít familiar with whatís going on with my mom. Is it too advanced? How long do we have? Doctors are saying 4-6 months. Iím not seeing it. Looking for feedback or your stories if youíve been in this situation.

Ishann, what you and your family are going through is not fair. Cancer is tragic enough but to have both of your parents get it? I am so sorry. My deepest condolences regarding your father as well.
    Have the doctors spoken to you regarding immunotherapy? There are a few cases with SCLC where immunotherapy has been effective.
    If that is not an option and there is no other treatment options available for your mom then, yes, as you know, it is only a matter of time before she too passes. Again my heart aches for you. As to how much time well that is impossible to say. What you must remember is that radiation she has received is still working as we speak. The tumor(s) that are receiving radiation continues to "cook" for days even weeks after treatment. So although she might not be having great days now, that may change in a week even two, to something much better. Maybe, maybe not. There is a chance the radiation may not work too. This is why doctors are very hesitant to say how much time a patient has left. There are way too many factors involved. No two cases are the same.
    What I do suggest is you take whatever time you have to just be with your mom. Love her. Talk to her. Tell her all you need to. Listen to her - tell her tell you all she needs to, even the tough stuff.
    And take care of you. We are here to support you as you go on the journey. You do not have to be alone.
    I am glad you reached out to us and I encourage you to continue to do so. Please, let us know how your mom and yourself are doing,
    Take care,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!