A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer that has mets

Newbie New User

My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer that has mets

This is my first post and I am just sick with my dads diagnosis. He is 72 and smoked for over 50 years (quit 11 years ago). I think we all knew this could happen someday but I was not ready to hear it.

The tests are back and he has stage 4 small cell lung cancer. It doesn't sound good for my dad. He has it in his lymph nodes, liver, lungs, and adrenal glands that we know for sure. He had an MRI on his brain and that came back fine. They are not doing any bone scans. They are treating him with 2 chemos and 1 immunotherapy drug. Does anyone have any input on how much time my dad could get with this treatment? He had his first 3 rounds last week and has 2 1/2 weeks off before they do it again. They will do this 4 times. They told us last week he had 2-4 weeks if not treated. We are taking a cruise in January and the oncologist said not to cancel that my dad will be here. How does he know? I know nobody knows but from what I read, my dad is already on borrowed time.

My heart is breaking. Last week he looked like he was on his way out of this world. Now, only a week later, after the treatments he received. He looks so much better. How can a man who is so sick make such a change in a week? He had lost 20 pound lbs in 3 weeks. He has gained 6 back. What is going on? Do the treatments make that quick of a change? My mom keeps telling me he will be here for a long time. She hasn't done any research. The sad thing is I have. My father in law was diagnosed with Gleason 10 prostate cancer 3 1/2 years ago. We would have never thought he would still be here. Could this happen for my dad? Dear Lord I hope so.

Any advice and honesty would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lisa

Senior User
    Hello Lisa,

Although I say "welcome" here, we all know that you would rather be anywhere else.

SCLC is a tough nut to crack. I am stage 4 NSCLC, so I don't know much about SCLC, but I do know that it responds to chemo well. The addition of a immunotherapy drug can't hurt.
    The weight gain may be due to steroids, but any weight gain is good. (Steroids can change personality, so be aware.)

How long? Who knows? If he walks across the street, he may be hit by a bus. So, the important thing is that he is here TODAY! Hug your dad, relieve your Mom when you can but don't be a human overcast for either of them. AND, Don't beat him up for smoking! It's history and you can't change it! Remember that, at 72, he has had a long time to be set in his ways, so let him do it "His Way!" By the way, What is your father's name?

Hang in there, stick with us through this and keep us informed.

Regards, zim (aka icaps3)

Newbie New User
    My dads name is Jim. I don't say anything about his smoking because I know he has so many regrets and one is the smoking he did. The last thing he needs is anyone telling you "I told you so". I won't do that to him. The one plus is my baby brother stopped smoking last week when he found out about our dad. I hope he is successful with quitting.

Hi Lisa,
    I wanted to stop by and lend my support. Personally I think you are handling the smoking situation great. As an ex-smoker having the "I told you so" thrown in my face is the last thing I would want to hear. No one has more regret than him. My husband can attest to that fully. Good for your brother for quitting.
    Sending out strength to you all.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!