A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Which hospital to choose?

Newbie New User

Wife ovarian tumor 22cm. Cancer?

My wife was having a lot of pains in lower right side of stomach near pelvis. It was hard and after doing a cat scan they found a tumor thatís 22x19x11 cm big. What are the chances that this is cancerous? Doctors were scared so we are very scared now. She is 34 and have not had any weight loss and no eating issues but does have irregular periods .

Hello Nirrrr,
    I am moving your post to the Worried section as your wife does not have a confirmed diagnosis of cancer. The only way to confirm cancer is through a biopsy. Not even a CA125 test or ultrasound or even a CT scan can confirm is a mass is cancerous or not - only a biopsy can. Just so you know fibroids and cysts (very common for women) can be that large and non cancerous. These can also cause irregular periods. It is impossible for us, as non-medical professionals and with such little information, to tell you what the mass may be. Let her doctors follow through on their tests and likely surgery to remove the mass. I know patience is hard to have right now. Your wife and you will have your answers soon. May your wife have nothing but good news.
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Newbie New User

Which hospital to choose?

Wife will have a surgery/biopsy done to see if the tumor thatís 24cm/19cm/11cm is cancerous. However we made another apppointment with Sloan which is considered the best hospital for cancer (however itís a bit far from us.) question is, if what they suggest is doing the same thing then should I still stick with Sloan which is one of the best hospitals for cancer or go with the other hospital (Hackensack meridian cancer center) which is more convenient? Obviously I want to go with the better hospital but wondering if hospitals makes a difference if procedure is the same?

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    I have merged your threads as having all within it's own thread helps our members to respond better if they can read what has lead you up to your current question.

Now, in answer to your question, at this point, and this is only my opinion, why not proceed with the biopsy before making further appointnts? The biopsy will reveal if cancer or not. If, and we sincerely hope not, cancer is confirmed, then of course seeking a second opinion or options relating to treatment is suggested. I would also consider asking the current facility if they work remotely with Sloan. That may be an option to consider if cancer is confirmed.

Try not to think too far ahead as the biopsy is still yet to be done but good that surgery is scheduled.

Keep us posted.

Lisa

Super Moderator Top User ddessert's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would also say that you should keep any earliest appointments you have made. That size tumor should be hard to miss. With my father, delays from appointments really added up and I wished we had made them at the first possible opportunity.
    BRCA2 3398del5
    Dec 2010 - back/abd pain
    May 2011 - Unresectable stage III, 2.5cm tumor
    Jun-Aug 2011 - Gem/Cis, 9 rounds
    Oct-Nov 2011 - IMRT+Xeloda
    Oct 2011-Sep 2012 - shrinking tumor
    Feb 2012 - National Familial Pancreatic Study
    Aug 2012 - Downgraded to stage IIA, PGP
    Sep 2012 - Whipple, T3N0M0, 0.5cm tumor, 0/16 lymph nodes
    Dec 2012 - Quebec PanCan Study
    Sep 2012-May 2019 - NED
    Mar 2013-present - NCT01088789
    Jun 2019- NCT03805919
    @pancanology

Newbie New User

Survival rate for ovarian cancer?

What are the average survival rates for stage 1-4 ovarian cancer? Not looking for the avg survival rate for ď5year survival rateĒ but the average . It is really scaring me that most places just talk about avg 5 year survival rate. Is that all the time we are looking at or 10 more years of living especially in stage 3 or 4? Please god donít do this to my wife.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    I have merged your threads to keep everything under one roof. As it is, your wife does not have cancer, so it is too early to be upset about that. Many abdominal tumors are benign and simply need removal.

Life expectancy? Cart before the horse. In any event, we form our own survival curves. In your browsing, have you found any cancer with a 99.5% mortality rate? That is what I was ultimately faced with, and it all began over 11 years ago.

If you can, try to relax. If you cannot, you might consider receiving help from doctor as well. The diagnostic process is protracted and as I see it, this is no time to be a nervous wreck
    05/08-07/08 Tumor appears behind left ear. Followed by serial medical incompetence on the parts of PCP, veteran oncologist and pathologist (misdiagnosis via non-diagnosis). Providential guidance to proper care at an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center.
    07/08 Age 56 DX 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma-Not Otherwise Specified. Stage IV-B, >50 ("innumerable") tumors, bone marrow involvement.
    08/08-12/08 Four cycles CHOEP14 + four cycles GND (Cyclofosfamide, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Etoposide, Prednisone & Gemcitabine, Navelbine, Doxil)
    02/09 2) Relapse.
    03/09-06/13 Clinical trial of Romidepsin > long-term study. NED for 64 twenty-eight day cycles, dose tapered.
    07/13 3) Relapse, 4) Suspected Mutation.
    08/13-02/14 Romidepsin increased, stopped for lack of response. Watch & Wait.
    09/14 Relapse/Progression. Visible cervical nodes appear within 4 days of being checked clear.
    10/06/14 One cycle Belinostat. Discontinued to enter second clinical trial.
    10/25/14 Clinical trial of Alisertib/Failed - Progression.
    01/12/15 Belinostat resumed/Failed - Progression. 02/23/15
    02/24/15 Pralatrexate/Failed - Progression. 04/17/15
    04/15 Genomic profiling reveals mutation into PTCL-NOS + AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma. Stage IV-B a second time. Two dozen tumors + small intestine (Ileum) involvement.
    04/22/15 TEC (Bendamustine, Etoposide, Carboplatin). Full response in two cycles. PET/CT both clear. Third cycle followed.
    06/15-07/15 Transplant preparation (X-rays, spinal taps, BMB, blood test, MUGA scan, lung function, CMV screening, C-Diff testing etc. etc. etc.) Intrathecal Methotrexate during spinal tap.
    BMB reveals 5) 26% blast cells of 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome MDS), a bone marrow cancer and precursor to Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    07/11-12/15 Cyclofosfamide + Fludarabine conditioning regimen.
    07/16/15 Total Body Irradiation.
    07/17/15 Moderate intensity Haploidentical Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant receiving my son's peripheral blood stem cells.
    07/21-22/15 Triple dose Cyclofosfamide + Mesna, followed by immunosuppressants Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate Mofetil.
    07/23-08/03/15 Marrow producing zero blood cells. Fever. Hospitalized two weeks.
    08/04/15 Engraftment occurs, and blood cells are measurable - released from hospital.
    08/13/15 Day 26 - Marrow is 100% donor cells. Platelets climbing steadily, red cells follow.
    09/21/15 Acute skin Graft versus Host Disease arrives.
    DEXA scan reveals Osteoporosis.
    09/26/-11/03/15 Prednisone to control skin GvHD.
    11/2015 Acute GvHD re-classified to Chronic Graft versus Host Disease.
    05/2016 Tacrolimus stopped. Prednisone from 30-90mg daily tried. Sirolimus begun. Narrow-band UV-B therapy started, but discontinued for lack of response. One treatment of P-UVAreceived, but halted due to medication reaction.
    09/16/16 Three skin punch biopsies.
    11/04/16 GvHD clinical trial of Ofatumumab (Arzerra) + Prednisone + Methylprednisolone begun.
    12/16 Type II Diabetes, Hypertension - both treatment-related.
    05/17 Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP) begun in attempt to control chronic Graft-versus-Host-Disease (cGvHD. 8 year old Power Port removed and replaced with Vortex (Smart) Port for ECP.
    05/2017 Chronic anemia (low hematocrit). Chronic kidney disease. Cataracts from radiation and steroids.
    06/17 Trying various antibiotics in a search for tolerable prophylaxis.
    08/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals the presence of 2% cells with 20q Deletion Myelodysplastic Syndrome, considered to be Minimum Residual Disease.
    12/17 Bone marrow biopsy reveals no abnormalities in the marrow - MDS eradicated. The steroid taper continues.
    01/18 Consented for Kadmon clinical trial.
    03/18 Began 400mg daily of KD025, a rho-Associated Coiled-coil Kinase 2 Inhibitor (ROCK2).
    09/18 Due to refractory GvHD, Extracorporeal Photopheresis halted after 15 months ue to lack of additional benefit.
    10/18 I was withdrawn from the Kadmon KD025 clinical trial due to increasing fatigue/lack of benefit.
    11/18 Began therapy with Ruxolitinib (Jakafi), a JAK 1&2 inhibitor class drug. Started at half-dose due to concerns with drug interactions.

To date: 1 cancer, relapse, second relapse/mutation into 2 cancers, then 3 cancers simultaneously, 20 chemotherapy/GVHD drugs in 11 regimens (4 of them at least twice), 5 salvage regimens, 4 clinical trials, 5 post-transplant immuno-suppressant/modulatory drugs, the equivalent of 1,000 years of background radiation from 40+ CT series scans and about 24 PET scans.
    Both lymphoid and myeloid malignancies lend a certain symmetry to the hematological journey.

Believing in the redemptive value of suffering makes all the difference.

A large, possibly cancerous, tumor in such a young woman points to the possibility of a tricky diagnosis and treatment plan. It really makes sense to go to a major academic medical center instead of a community hospital facility. They have a lot more experience in more rare medical situations, and there isn't anything "garden variety" about cancer in a woman in her early 30's. The average age of ovarian patients at diagnosis is in their 60's.
    Nov 2013 PSA 4.2 Biopsy Jan 2014- 1 core positive, 20% Gleason 6, doctor highly reco'ed robotic RP - 2nd opinion at UPMC April 2014, put on active surveillance. 2nd biopsy Feb 2015, results negative. PSA test Feb 2016, 3.5. 3rd Biopsy Feb 2016. 3 positive cores less than 5%, Gleason 6. Octotype DX done April 2016, GPS Score of 24--rated "Low risk". PSA test 8/2016, 3.2. PSA test 1/2018 2.2 (after 7 months of proscar) PSA test 7/2018 2.3, PSA test 7/2019 2.0

DOB 1956, in Pittsburgh, USA

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirrrr View Post
    What are the average survival rates for stage 1-4 ovarian cancer? Not looking for the avg survival rate for “5year survival rate” but the average . It is really scaring me that most places just talk about avg 5 year survival rate. Is that all the time we are looking at or 10 more years of living especially in stage 3 or 4? Please god don’t do this to my wife.
    You must be so devastated. Here's to hoping it's really nothing and definitely not cancer. My prayers to your wife.