A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: My mother cancer case

Newbie New User

My mother cancer case

Dear All Members,

My mother has been suffering from metastatic clear cell carcinoma two years ago. She has since been treated and had a couple of surgeries where a peri anal mass was extracted along with a number of lymph nodes in addition to both chemotherapy and radiotherapy. In her recent PET scan, a progressive metastatic disease in the bilateral lungs was found. The doctor is suggesting now new treatment sessions of Avastin and Gemcitabine.
    I have been reading some article on using this treatment and it doesn't look very convincing.

Have any of you had an experience with Avastin and Gemcitabine treatment.
    I am very worried that my mother case is not progressing in the right direction, so I appreciate your feedback.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
    Morten

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Morten

I am sorry to hear all that your Mom has been through and prior treatments have not provided the outcome you all have been hoping for.

Reading your post it sounds like the doctors are suggesting another treatment. Metastatic cancer is very complicated, what was the primary, originating disease? Renal ? Although it is now showing activity in her lungs, the original diagnosis would be the same. Have the doctors discussed this new treatment with your Mom? The success rate? However keep in mind, no two patients are alike and success rates are best on overall population not individual basis.

We may have some members that can offer some insight if they have experience with this treatment. For now, will keep the thread here within the LC forum but it could be beneficial to move it once we know the origin of the primary.

Lisa

Newbie New User
    Hello Lisa,

Many thanks for the prompt reply.
    Her primary disease was classified by the doctors as vaginal cancer and she had a large mass removed along with a number of lymph nodes.
    The main issue we are having that I think the doctors are not communicating very clearly about the success or the response rate of the new treatment, so I would like to hear more from someone who knows or tried this type of treatment.
    Please feel free to move this thread to wherever it may be suitable.
    I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Best Regards,
    Morten

Hello Morton,
    I am a moderator here and I help assist on both the lung and cervical forums. I moved your post here as this is where it should be. Please be patient as sometimes it may take a day or two for a response This area is not as active as some of the others.
    However one suggestion I do have for you is to check and see if the clinic/hospital where your mom is being treated has a Patient Advocate. These people are there to help in situations like you have described - poor communication between the patient and the doctors and much more. They can even set up conference meetings to help resolve matters. Maybe check into this?
    Please continue to let us know how your mom is doing and how her situation is going. We'll continue to support you and see if there are any members with experience with those chemos.
    All the best,
    Jodie
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Newbie New User
    Hello Jodie,

Many thanks for moving the case here.
    I have an update as I have been in contact with the doctor and he said that the aim of the treatment is palliative and not curative.
    I would need others opinion or experience on this. What does this mean? Is this like saying we just need to extend her life by some months or there would really be an impact by using Avastin and Gemcitabine?
    Would there be any curative treatment for the case instead, or it is already late with a stage 4 cervical cancer.
    I am very worried of the doctor statement, so I appreciate any opinion on this.

Best Regards,
    Morten

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Morten:

Sorry the doctors were not more detailed in their approach with your Mom's treatment and explaining things in terms you can understand. Doctors have a way of doctor in medical terms vs terms we can actually understand. Now, while I do not have any specific knowledge regarding Cervical Cancer especially at stage 4, I wanted to at least try and answer your question to the best of my ability. In the simplest terms, curative care involves treatment in an effort to extend the patientís overall length of life; while palliative care involves treatment that will hopefully improve the patientís quality of life but generally, may not extend life.

It is almost impossible for even the doctors to predict a patients actually response to a treatment protocol. Also, statistics are based on overall population not on an individual basis. Stage 4 is rough regardless of certain types of cancer. Will the new treatment work in keeping the cancer for progressing or even stopping it? We can not possibly answer that question.

What we suggest, write down all your questions for the doctor. Request that your questions be answered in terms you can understand. Keep records of these questions or further questions that arise.

Our thoughts are with you Morten and your Mom so please do let us know how things are going. We may not have the answers, we do our best, but we are good listeners.

Lisa