A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: prostate cancer?

Top User
    Probably. The stand out clue for him is the rapid change in one year. Eighty percent of all men will have prostate cancer by the time they are 80. When it begins and how aggressive it is marks the beginning of the journey.

Early detection early treatment is the most consistent path to success with this malady. Dealing with it head on produces the best outcomes. This cancer is treatable and beatable if you practise good health care. What it looks like is a biopsy if your PSA hits 4. Some men have multiple biopsies to monitor or find the cancer.

Welcome to old age. It's not for the weak and faint at heart.
    Last edited by Another; 10-18-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi2911 View Post
    Good morning.
    Some update.....
    My partner has not yet decided to have a biopsy.
    So, his PSA on 08/2019 was 4.6 and % PSA Free 30 and now 10/2019 his PSA is 4.4 and % PSA Free 30 again.
    Two uros say that since the DRE is normal and free percentage is that good, he should recheck in 2-3 months.
    One uro says DRE OK, free precentage OK, but do a biopsy, never hurt anyone.
    He told me that he wants to recheck it in 2 months and then decide what to do.
    His PSA last year was 2.6 (07/201 and his prostate volume is normal, around 30cc (not from rectal ultrasound)
    He just turned 60

I am so confused and worried from everything I have read here.
    Is it so likely for him to have cancer?
    I'm having my prostate out after nearly two years of testing. No dre ever found anything. Biopsy 1 was all clean, no cancer or precancer. Biopsy 2 found some pre cancer and a small amount of G6. Biopsy 3 found three areas of G6 plus additional precancer. I've never had symptoms besides MAYBE getting up 1x a night to pee. If I went on symptoms and the DRE, I might be delaying long enough for this to get out of hand.

The PSA is indicative of a problem.

Have the biopsy. Please.

Regular User
    @IceStationZebra
    Thanks for the reply.
    I think that eventually he won't avoid the biopsy!
    Your free psa % was high too?

Regular User
    @another
    I like that you are straight in your words, although not pleasant !
    Thank u

That excellent free psa result could mean that he either has no cancer, or a low risk case.

The biopsy will serve as a baseline. If it is negative or minimal, and the psa keeps rising, then an MRI should be done.

When confronting the possibility of having prostate cancer, it is valuable to understand that the American Cancer Society states that of 100 men diagnosed today, 98 will not die from prostate cancer during the next ten years. And, thats based on treatments available today,
    DOB: May 1944
    In Active Surveillance program at Johns Hopkins
    Strict protocol of tests, including PHI, DRE, MRI, and biopsy.
    Six biopsies from 2009 to 2019. Numbers 1, 2, and 5 were negative. Numbers 3,4, and 6 were positive with 5% Gleason(3+3) found. Last one was Precision Point transperineal.
    PSA has varied up and down from 3 to 10 over the years. Is 4.0 as of September 2019.
    Hopefully, I can remain untreated. So far, so good.

@IceStationZebra
    Thanks for the reply.
    I think that eventually he won't avoid the biopsy!
    Your free psa % was high too?
    No my free was something like 13 or 17%. I was frustrating, some tests were indicative of a problem and others pointed away. With the first clean biopsy and tests that pointed away, I almost walked away thinking I was fine.

Top User
    @another
    I like that you are straight in your words, although not pleasant !
    Thank u
    I'm certain the doctor was pleasant enough when he recommended the biopsy.

Pleasant doesn't work with some men. If your partner chose the antibiotics, time for pleasant to become real. In real life, I'm considered quite charming.

The use of antibiotics puts your partner at risk for resistance to them. The overuse of antibiotics can be the source of life threatening complications from the biopsy. If your partner has used antibiotics often be sure to inform the doctor.

The risk in the use of antibiotics to pretend to screen for prostate cancer is a subsequent drop in PSA will be used as an excuse to avoid the biopsy. Clinical studies show any drop in PSA after the use of antibiotics is no different than random drops in PSA in the control group of men with PCa. It's a waste of time, a practise that squanders the use of a valuable resource now approaching a world health crisis (abuse of antibiotics), and tempts men to delay in monitoring a disease curable with early detection and early treatment.

I am also ruthlessly persistent. I owe my good fortune in treatment of this disease to a persistent doctor who went out of his way to intervene in my own denial and delay phase. My only criticism of him is he could have stop being pleasant sooner.
    Last edited by Another; 10-19-2019 at 07:19 AM.

Regular User
    Well some news....
    We visited a highly recommended urologist. He said that during DRE he found induration at the right lobe (other two uros did not find anything). So, he wants to have an mp-MRI. It is scheduled for Friday.
    Last edited by Sushi2911; 11-04-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Grammar

Well some news....
    We visited a highly recommended urologist. He said that during DRE he found induration at the right lobe (other two uros did not find anything). So, he wants to have an mp-MRI. It is scheduled for Friday.
    I'm thinking that indurations are a gray area best judged in context. After my TURP (which included my 9th negative biopsy!) My uro had me on 6-month, instead of annual, visits; however, the DRE continued only yearly. At one of those DRE, he felt an induration on the left. When I asked if this meant another biopsy, he said no, but we'd monitor it with DREs every 6 months. He confirmed the
    (unchanged) induration at following visits.

Several visits layer he felt a new nodule on the right (the biopsy it triggered found two lesions on the right, a G10 and a G9). When I asked about the induration, he said it had disappeared. Moral: trust your uro. It's probable that all indurations aren't the same.

Sushi, kindly create a signature file. It will be appended to all your posts automatically, will save you from typing it, and will give those replying the salient history that makes replying much easier without having to hunt through past threads and posts. Near the top of the main Forum page there is a Sticky Post with instructions for creating a signature. See other signatures for what to include.Thanks!

Djin
    Last edited by DjinTonic; 11-04-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    69 yr at Dx, BPH x 20 yr, 9 (!) neg. Bx, PCA3-
    7-05-13 TURP for BPH (90→30 g) path neg., then 6-mo. checks
    6-06-17 Nodule on R + PSA rise on finasteride: 3.6→4.3
    6-28-17 Bx #10: 2/14 cores: G10 (5+5) 50% RB, G9 (4+5) 3% RLM
    Bone scan, CTs, X-rays: neg.
    8-7-17 Open RP, neg. frozen sections, Duke Regional
    SM EPE BNI LVI SVI LNI(5L, 11R): negative, PNI+, nerves spared
    pT2c pN0 pMX acinar adenocarcinoma G9 (4+5) 5% of prostate (4.5x5x4 cm, 64 g)
    11-10-17 Decipher 0.37 Low Risk: 5-yr met risk 2.4%, 10-yr PCa-specific mortality 3.3%
    Dry; ED OK with sildenafil
    9-16-17 (5 wk) PSA <0.1
    LabCorp uPSA, Roche ECLIA:
    11-28-17 (3 m ) 0.010
    02-26-18 (6 m ) 0.009
    05-30-18 (9 m ) 0.007
    08-27-18 (1 yr.) 0.018 (?)
    09-26-18 (13 m) 0.013 (30-day retest)
    11-26-18 (15 m) 0.012
    02-25-19 (18 m) 0.015
    05-22-19 (21 m) 0.015
    08-28-19 (2 yr. ) 0.016
    12-18-19 (24 m)
    Avg. = 0.013

Well some news....
    The good news = "an mp-MRI. It is scheduled for Friday." This should identify any areas of suspicion and determine if follow up biopsy is needed at this time.

Keep us updated.

Good luck!

MF
    PSA: Oct '09 = 1.91, Oct '11 = 2.79, Dec '11 = 2.98 (PSA, Free = 0.39ng/ml, % PSA Free = 13%)
    Referred to URO MD
    Jan '12: DRE = Positive: "Left induration"
    Jan '12: Biopsy = 6 of 12 Cores were Positive: 1 = G7 (3+4) and 5 = Gleason 6
    Referred to URO Surgeon
    March '12: Robotic RP: Left: PM + EPE. MD waited in surgery for preliminary Path Report then excised substantial left adjacent tissue(s) down to negative margins and placed 2 Ti clips for SR guidance, if needed in future.
    Pathology: Gleason (3+4) pT3a pNO pMX pRO c tertiary pattern 5 / Prostate Size = 32 grams / Tumor = Bilateral: 20% / PNI: present
    3 month Post Op standard PSA = <0.1 ng/ml
    1st uPSA at 7 months Post Op = 0.018 ng/ml
    uPSA remains "stable" at 91 Months Post Op: Mean = 0.022 (22x uPSAs: Range 0.017 - 0.032) LabCorp: Ultrasensitive PSA: Roche ECLIA
    Continence = Very Good (≥ 99%)
    ED = present