A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: This is getting very frustrating

This is getting very frustrating

I know that I have talked about my husbands bowels but nothing is improving. Something that has gotten worse over this past 4 days is when he gets that awful urge to need to go he is now getting a bad pain/cramp down there, the pain is always there but not bad until that urge is there and it is happening more during the day, even passing gas is causing pain. We still can't seem to get his bowel movements right. I don't know what to do to help him. We have an appointment later this week with his surgeon but I'm not hopeful he will be much help. We have tried starting fiber, 2 caps 2x per day but it still isn't doing much, he ended up having to do 2 doses of milk of mag and then had diarrhea for hours then next day lots of clustering. It's this stupid cycle. He is getting so frustrated. Has anyone dealt with this pain and if so what did you do? I believe it's called tenesmus.

Moderator Top User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    I am sorry to hear about the continuing problems and unfortunately I do not have any experience of anything like that.

Nick
    Age 1/2 way to 120 plus 1. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping 2weeks later and first competition 2 weeks after that. July 2012 - CT scan clear. June 2014 - CT scan clear. December 2014 - Colonoscopy clear. July 2017 - 6 year CT scan clear.

I am hoping the surgeon can help. If not perhaps contact a gastroenterologist.? I wish you the very best and I hope this stops

Quote Originally Posted by worriedwife69 View Post
    I know that I have talked about my husbands bowels but nothing is improving. Something that has gotten worse over this past 4 days is when he gets that awful urge to need to go he is now getting a bad pain/cramp down there, the pain is always there but not bad until that urge is there and it is happening more during the day, even passing gas is causing pain. We still can't seem to get his bowel movements right. I don't know what to do to help him. We have an appointment later this week with his surgeon but I'm not hopeful he will be much help. We have tried starting fiber, 2 caps 2x per day but it still isn't doing much, he ended up having to do 2 doses of milk of mag and then had diarrhea for hours then next day lots of clustering. It's this stupid cycle. He is getting so frustrated. Has anyone dealt with this pain and if so what did you do? I believe it's called tenesmus.
    Worried,

Seems to me you and your husband have been patient. It is time to get another opinion or go somewhere else. There has to be an advocate for the patient. If there isn't one in the hospital, you need to be that person. It is your husband's health here... keep asking the tough questions..... as MOJO suggests, there are other gastrointerologists....

good luck...
    doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED
    Continue ColoRectal Support Group monthly

We do have an appointment with the gastrointerologist unfortunately his appointment was a little over 2 months out from his surgery so we have another week and half. Today we did revisit the surgeon and we did not bring up to him the information about LARS that we have since learned. So my husband described to him his issue and low and behold he said you are one of about 30% of patients that gets LARS and he described to us what it was. Would have been really nice if they would have given us this information before the surgery as something that could happen instead of us thinking something was wrong. So he just told him the same as the other information we have learned that he needs to increase his fiber and as for the tenesmus (constant painful urge) should gradually get better. He did say that if it gets worse or doesn't get better then he may want to go in and have a look.
    Hoping that the gastro can shed more light on his other stomach issues that doesn't have really anything to do with the surgery.

Glad you got some information albeit a bit late

Quote Originally Posted by worriedwife69 View Post
    We do have an appointment with the gastrointerologist unfortunately his appointment was a little over 2 months out from his surgery so we have another week and half. Today we did revisit the surgeon and we did not bring up to him the information about LARS that we have since learned. So my husband described to him his issue and low and behold he said you are one of about 30% of patients that gets LARS and he described to us what it was. Would have been really nice if they would have given us this information before the surgery as something that could happen instead of us thinking something was wrong. So he just told him the same as the other information we have learned that he needs to increase his fiber and as for the tenesmus (constant painful urge) should gradually get better. He did say that if it gets worse or doesn't get better then he may want to go in and have a look.
    Hoping that the gastro can shed more light on his other stomach issues that doesn't have really anything to do with the surgery.
    Thanks for keeping us uptodate. Glad the info was helpful
    doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED