A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else see the PA for results?

Over the years, I must have seen the Dr a dozen times... two of them for biopsies.

And only those times was when had the most beautiful, prettiest nurses...

I had a local for the biopsy. And I did pee blood for a couple of days after...

Quote Originally Posted by IndyGuy View Post
    Wait, what?!? You had the option of getting anesthetic prior to your biopsy?
    They knocked me out like Mike Tyson. I challenged the anesthesiologist that she didn't bring enough propofol to TCB and she was like "challenge accepted". I woke up feeling great with no idea of the sodomy that had just transpired using that xbox controller. 😀👍

I see an advantage to getting news of your (first) positive biopsy by phone and having x days before the first visit with your uro to begin to come to grips with the PCa diagnosis. Those who got their news at their visit can speak to how much you remembered of the info you got and whether emotions got in the way. While I didn't have any info like my G score, I did start reading about treatments before my first visit. I felt my uro and I were able to cover a good amount of ground in the two post-biopsy visits (perhaps 10 days apart). At the end of the second, I told my uro I wanted a RP, with him operating. He was even-handed about RT vs RP outcomes and offered to set me up with an RO. However, I had just about ruled out RT between the two visits.

Djin
    Last edited by DjinTonic; 09-21-2019 at 01:17 AM.
    69 yr at Dx, BPH x 20 yr, 9 (!) neg. Bx, PCA3-
    7-05-13 TURP for BPH (90→30 g) path neg., then 6-mo. checks
    6-06-17 Nodule on R + PSA rise on finasteride: 3.6→4.3
    6-28-17 Bx #10: 2/14 cores: G10 (5+5) 50% RB, G9 (4+5) 3% RLM
    Bone scan, CTs, X-rays: neg.
    8-7-17 Open RP, neg. frozen sections, Duke Regional
    SM EPE BNI LVI SVI LNI(16): negative, PNI+, nerves spared
    pT2c pN0 pMX acinar adenocarcinoma G9 (4+5) 5% of prostate (4.5x5x4 cm, 64 g)
    11-10-17 Decipher 0.37 Low Risk: 5-yr met risk 2.4%, 10-yr PCa-specific mortality 3.3%
    Dry; ED OK with sildenafil
    9-16-17 (5 wk) PSA <0.1
    LabCorp uPSA, Roche ECLIA:
    11-28-17 (3 m ) 0.010
    02-26-18 (6 m ) 0.009
    05-30-18 (9 m ) 0.007
    08-27-18 (1 yr.) 0.018 (?)
    09-26-18 (13 m) 0.013 (30-day check)
    11-26-18 (15 m) 0.012
    02-25-19 (18 m) 0.015
    05-22-19 (21 m) 0.015
    08-28-19 (2 yr. ) 0.016
    Avg. = 0.013

Quote Originally Posted by DjinTonic View Post
    I see an advantage to getting news of your (first) positive biopsy by phone and having x days before the first visit with your uro to begin to come to grips with the PCa diagnosis. Those who got their news at their visit can speak to how much you remembered of the info you got and whether emotions got in the way. While I didn't have any info like my G score, I did start reading about treatments before my first visit. I felt my uro and I were able to cover a good amount of ground in the two post-biopsy visits (perhaps 10 days apart). At the end of the second, I told my uro I wanted a RP, with him operating. He was even-handed about RT vs RP outcomes and offered to set me up with an RO. However, I had just about ruled out RT between the two visits.

Djin
    My URO called me the day after Xmas, Happy Mew Year.
    YOB 1957

DX 12/18, GS 8, 4+4 6/12 cores, LL Apex 100%, LM Apex 60%, LL Mid 50%, LMM 40%, LL Base 5%, LM <5%, Right side negative.

3/6/19. Pathology - Grade Group 4 with Intraductal Carcinoma
    T3aNO, GS8, 21 mm unifocal tumor 10%. -7 Nodes, - SV, - Margins, - PNI,
    - bladder neck neg., +LVI, + EPE non focal apex/mid lateral 1mm max extension, Cribriform pattern present. Decipher .86 High Risk.

PSA 3/27/19 03 (29 days)
    4/25/19 <.03. (58 days)
    5/25/19 <.02. (88 days)
    9/10/2019. <.02. (198 days)

3 Part Modality Treatment

2/25/19 Robotic Laparoendoscopic Single Site Surgery outpatient Cleveland Clinic,

ADT - started 6/19, end date 6/21.

ART - Completed 9/26/19. (78 Gy, yes, I glow in the dark)

Quote Originally Posted by DjinTonic View Post

Djin
    I see no value to him or her telling me in person unless there is some circumstances that require passing papers back and forth or drawing things on paper.

I think back to my original posts waiting on the first biopsy. Man I annoyed the ever loving g crap out of my own self. I didn't understand anything so it was hard to compartmentalize.

The call of cancer it was really a meh moment. We will deal with it.

This biopsy I simply no longer care. It's either gonna be nothing found, the same thing as last time found or catastrophic news. And frankly, today, I really no longer care which. If they cure me, I just end up working myself out death.

But I'm thankful for the sedation, that I'll give you.

Quote Originally Posted by IceStationZebra View Post
    I would be surprised if they already know he results it was done at 10am yesterday. I can't imagine they already know.
    They might not know to a moral certitude what the results are going to be. But they've done enough of them to make a pretty good guess i bet.
    Nov 2013 PSA 4.2 Biopsy Jan 2014- 1 core positive, 20% Gleason 6, doctor highly reco'ed robotic RP - 2nd opinion at UPMC April 2014, put on active surveillance. 2nd biopsy Feb 2015, results negative. PSA test Feb 2016, 3.5. 3rd Biopsy Feb 2016. 3 positive cores less than 5%, Gleason 6. Octotype DX done April 2016, GPS Score of 24--rated "Low risk". PSA test 8/2016, 3.2. PSA test 1/2018 2.2 (after 7 months of proscar) PSA test 7/2018 2.3, PSA test 7/2019 2.0

DOB 1956, in Pittsburgh, USA

Experienced User
    They had me almost do something like a mini-prep for a colonoscopy the night and morning before the TRUS biopsy. Was given one oxycodone to take about one or two hours before the procedure, then a few more if needed at home afterwards. Internal numbing injections beforehand. Then twelve snaps of the 'gun' and it was over. Awake the whole time. Showed me the container with the twelve small strings of tissue in their individual labelled cells. Told me to expect some blood in the urine for a while and also some in the ejaculate for a while too -- that bright red was scarier to see than the dilute stuff in the urine, eventually went to a rust color before disappearing nearly a month later.

Received a call from my URO as I was driving to work a few days later -- when I saw the caller ID on the hands-free, I did not answer, since I didn't want to risk having the conversation while dealing with high-speed morning rush hour traffic, so I sent it to voicemail. In the parking lot at work, I listened to the message which was basically, "Call me." With my first PSA at 11.5 and the second three months later at 12.4, I think that stats said 50/50 chance of cancer, so I expected to hear that from him when I called back from the car before going in to work. It was as expected, "Mark, you've got prostate cancer. It's a Gleason 7. Call back later today and we will set up an appointment to discuss the options." "Is the Gleason 7 a 3+4 or a 4+3?" "It's a 3+4, but approaching 50% 4." "OK. I'll call your office this afternoon." Went into the building, dumped my stuff in my office, and went outside and took a long walk with quite a bit of cursing and waving of my arms, and it wasn't the cold breeze that brought tears to my eyes. Back at work, I closed my office door, printed out the pathology report from MyChart, and began to work on figuring out what all of it meant. Left work a little early and really cranked the music while driving home to try to drown out my thoughts of my cancer. I hadn't call my wife with the earlier than expected biopsy pathology results -- this was a conversation that needed to be done face-to-face.

I arrived at home, said a cursory "Hi" to my three teenaged children and went up to our bedroom. My wife came home in a short while, and when she came into the bedroom, I closed the door, looked at her and simply gave a few nods "yes" and more muttered than stated, "I have cancer." We tearfully clung to each other for a while. We slowly dressed for dinner out that night. The conversation was quite subdued between us at dinner -- we mostly held hands across the table and reminisced about what we'd been through, good and bad, in our years of marriage. We will always remember our 20th anniversary, the day that I was told that I had prostate cancer.
    6/18 New PCP asks "When was your last PSA level checked?" --> 11.5 so off to URO
    9/18 PSA 12.4, TRUS biopsy 10/18 yields 2 of 12 positive: LA GS6 <5%, RA GS7(3+4) 5% and the 4 is cribriform approaching 50%
    Clinical staging T1c, Decipher biopsy 0.94, 58 years old at DX
    12/18 RARP, pathology GS7(4+3) with cribriform, tumors in 10-15% of gland
    -SVI, -LVI, +EPE, +PNI, +BNI, +SM multifocal >=3mm pattern 4
    pT3a,pNx (lymph nodes inaccessible due to large mesh placement from 15 year ago bilateral hernia repair
    4/19 second opinion of pathology GS8, primary tumor composed of >95% cribriform (4+4), <1% pattern 5 and very minor focus comedo-necrosis, intraductal and postive margin at bladder resection
    still at pT3a,pNx and started six months of ADT 4/19, ART completed 9/13/19
    PSA <0.1 on 1/19, 4/19, 7/19, 10/19

Quote Originally Posted by farmanerd View Post
    They had me almost do something like a mini-prep for a colonoscopy the night and morning before the TRUS biopsy. Was given one oxycodone to take about one or two hours before the procedure, then a few more if needed at home afterwards. Internal numbing injections beforehand. Then twelve snaps of the 'gun' and it was over. Awake the whole time. Showed me the container with the twelve small strings of tissue in their individual labelled cells. Told me to expect some blood in the urine for a while and also some in the ejaculate for a while too -- that bright red was scarier to see than the dilute stuff in the urine, eventually went to a rust color before disappearing nearly a month later.

Received a call from my URO as I was driving to work a few days later -- when I saw the caller ID on the hands-free, I did not answer, since I didn't want to risk having the conversation while dealing with high-speed morning rush hour traffic, so I sent it to voicemail. In the parking lot at work, I listened to the message which was basically, "Call me." With my first PSA at 11.5 and the second three months later at 12.4, I think that stats said 50/50 chance of cancer, so I expected to hear that from him when I called back from the car before going in to work. It was as expected, "Mark, you've got prostate cancer. It's a Gleason 7. Call back later today and we will set up an appointment to discuss the options." "Is the Gleason 7 a 3+4 or a 4+3?" "It's a 3+4, but approaching 50% 4." "OK. I'll call your office this afternoon." Went into the building, dumped my stuff in my office, and went outside and took a long walk with quite a bit of cursing and waving of my arms, and it wasn't the cold breeze that brought tears to my eyes. Back at work, I closed my office door, printed out the pathology report from MyChart, and began to work on figuring out what all of it meant. Left work a little early and really cranked the music while driving home to try to drown out my thoughts of my cancer. I hadn't call my wife with the earlier than expected biopsy pathology results -- this was a conversation that needed to be done face-to-face.

I arrived at home, said a cursory "Hi" to my three teenaged children and went up to our bedroom. My wife came home in a short while, and when she came into the bedroom, I closed the door, looked at her and simply gave a few nods "yes" and more muttered than stated, "I have cancer." We tearfully clung to each other for a while. We slowly dressed for dinner out that night. The conversation was quite subdued between us at dinner -- we mostly held hands across the table and reminisced about what we'd been through, good and bad, in our years of marriage. We will always remember our 20th anniversary, the day that I was told that I had prostate cancer.
    My experience was strange. The doc called one Friday with "no cancer we will just watch you". He called back the next Friday with "two cores precancer and one core cancer". WTH? He acted as if he didn't even remember calling me and talking for nearly 30 minutes the week before.

My daughter is in the band and made all State. So the week the doc revised the results my wife and daughter were at All State and having fun staying in a hotel for a few nights. I went to the performance (magnificent) and came home. I thought about telling the wife that night but decided I would still have cancer on Sunday am, so I figured I would let her get a good night's sleep. I told her Sunday am before Church. Initially she was a little hot that I waited but seemed to understand the reasoning. I thought it was considerate, she thought it was mean 😀

Top User
    One view of integrity is when I know you know. Something is there for you to clean up with her, imo. Nothing wrong, but you may want to put this spoke back in the wheel moving forward. Also, your withdrawal is understandable, but not an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Another View Post
    One view of integrity is when I know you know. Something is there for you to clean up with her, imo.
    No not really. In fact, she was looking at the pictures of that weekend just the other day and talking about how much fun they had and then said "then I got the news". We were 60 miles apart and had I told her, she wouldn't have had fun again the rest of the entire weekend.

So now she has the memories of that weekend of having fun and not having to hold it together for my daughter's sake. Delaying the news by 48 hours really changed nothing.

Nothing to clean up, 27 years married and 33 together. I think we will make it.