A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stage 3A lung cancer questions

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by mike.b View Post
    Thanks for the prayers! I don't feel that I 'won' this fight. I'm expecting that cancer will lead to my demise. But I'm grateful for the extra time.

My chemo regimen is different from your's, for me day 4-7 were the worst by the second week I was starting to feel human again. The rads didn't bother me however by the end of my treatment I was getting tired of having to go to the hospital. My hospital was a 45 minute drive from my home. So it was a good half day effort to get to there.

PS: I don't know if it would be helpful to you but there is a thread below on the first two years of my treatment and follow up.

mike
    Mike:

Hopefully there will be new drug to deal with when it comes back.

Do you suggest to avoid going to public place during radiation and chemo?

My Saturday (today) routine used to be grocery shopping for half day and eating out, then back to work until mid-night. I have not touched any work for over 10 days now. I am learning to live a new life. Work was my life and Life was work. Why was I so stupid?

God Bless.

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by jorola View Post
    Hello Kudo,

I wanted to welcome you to the forum and say how sorry I am to hear of our diagnosis. I am one of the moderators here on the Lung Cancer forum.

I could not agree more about how scary and overwhelming of a process this can be. Especially all the medical terms being thrown at you. You'll be surprised though how fast you learn. Please keep asking questions here and we will do our best to answer them. Do not by shy and do not feel silly asking any question. We all asked them when we first on our journeys. I drove my husband nuts with all the questions I asked his treatment team about his lung cancer (squamous non small cell stage 3b) LOL.

May I suggest a few websites that do an excellent job in explaining things in plain language as well?
    https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/...l/introduction
    https://www.cancer.org/cancer/lung-cancer.html
    https://www.cancer.gov/types/lung

I do strongly caution to take any statistics given on these sites with a 10 pound bag of salt though. These stats are based on information from 10 years or more ago. Treatment has significantly improved since then so these numbers are so far out of whack it is not even funny.

Waiting and down time is difficult. I suggest that during these times to keep yourself as busy as possible. Go out with friends for coffee or lunch, if you have a hobby then keep going at it, or start a hobby, read, clean out that closet you have been meaning to. It is good to have an easy hobby like reading or having a favourite show to watch in the later stages of treatment as you will likely not have a lot of energy to do much else.

Do you have friends or family support? As you progress through treatment you may find you need some help around home, even rides to treatment. It is best to look into that now rather than having to do that last minute. This is not a time to be stubborn or shy about asking for help either. It is what it is. Trying to do too much going through treatment is only going to make it harder on yourself.

Here are some things that we found help my hubby going through chemo:
    - Dress in layers or even take a light blanket. Those places are usually cooler and the treatment can make you fell cold sometimes. It would suck to be there freezing.
    - Take some snacks and drinks (water). Depending on the treatment and day you can be there a long time. You may get hungry and then it is good to have something if you do get nauseous.
    - Along that line, take something to do. Besides napping all there is not a lot to do. Depending on your chemo neighbour you can have some great conversations but that does not always happen.
    - Make sure you have rides to your treatments, at least until you know how it affects you. The drugs my hubby got (etoposide and cisplatin) made him kinda drunk, funny, weird and annoying all at the same time LOL. He would not have been able to safely drive afterwards as he was truly impaired.
    - Drink LOTS of water. Dehydration is your enemy. It also help to help the chemo flushed around your system better.

I hope you find at least some of this information useful Kudo. Please continue to let us know how you are doing.

Take care, Jodie
    Hi Jodie:

Thank you for your advice. It is very helpful.

I only found this out about 10 days ago. I am still learning how to deal with it. I have a lot of support from family and friends, but I feel lonely at times. They can only help me from outside, I need to face it from inside. It is tough and scary.

Do you suggest avoiding closed public place like theater during treatment?

Take care, Kudo

You are most welcome Kudo.
    Yes I understand that family and friends may not understand the thoughts and feelings going through your head. Please know as a caregiver, I felt the same at times. This is why I strongly encourage communication. This is the time to be talking about what you are going through and helping your loved ones understand what it is your are thing and feeling. While they may not fully get it as they are not in your shoes, communication helps everyone and builds stronger relationships. Adding to that you can learn to understand what they are going through from their perspective.
    However when I asked about support, I was more inquiring from the point of you having assistance when you need it as you go through treatment. Assistance such as cooking meals. tidying the house, driving you to appointments. That sort of thing.
    As for going out into public, I suggest you speak to you dr and also gauge that by how you are responding to treatment. My husband and I did ban anyone who was sick from coming to the house but that was much closer quarters. If you are talking about right now and early in the treatment you are likely to be fine but again check with your dr as they know the specifics of your situation.
    The beginning of this journey is like a tornado. It swoops down out of the sky and spins you rapidly about. Like all tornadoes they loose their gusto. Sometimes the storm they come with blows you about a bit but it is nowhere near the spinning of the tornado.
    Hang in there.
    Wife to husband with squamous lung cancer stage 3 b
    dx - April 20/14
    tx started May 20/14 - radiation and chemo
    June 23 - chemo finished
    July 4 - radiation finished
    July 8 - PET scan shows tumor almost gone, lymph nodes back to normal
    Married July 19/14
    Sept 9/14 - repeat can shows tumor continues to shrink more, no new spots. New coughing and pain due to chest infection or side effect of radiation.
    Sept 19/14 - not infection but pneumonitis, place on dex for 4 weeks
    Oct 22/14 - now off of dex and facing even more symptoms of withdrawal
    Dec 16/14 - pretty much nothing left but a scar
    April 7/15 - ditto scan and screw you stats
    Oct 6/15 - more scarring but still cancer still gone
    Feb 2016 -scan the same
    Aug 2016 - more of the same
    Aug 2017 - and ditto
    Aug 2018 - 4 yrs NED - no evidence of disease
    Aug 2019 - 5 yrs NED and discharged from cancer clinic!!!!!

Senior User
    Hello Kudo,

Like Pet, Iím Stage 4, (but with different outcome.) You are lucky in one sense-- you have caught it early.

Both Jodie and Mike b. are plank owners here and offer sage advice.

So Listen.

I should tell you that Cistplatin will knock you down a peg or two. It Canít be helped. So get prepared, If you donít have a blender, get one. Start making protein milkshakes before treatment so that you get used to them. (Add the protein power sparingly to start with.) EVERYTHING will taste different. Itís OK, it is the same stuff as before , it just taste different. (Often metallic)Ö They will give you steroids to help you eat, they will screw with your head, so recognize the effects and laugh them off.

Not knowing your situation, Iíll throw in: YOU must take care of your caregiver!! This whole thing can be more scary for them that you; so pucker up and look around you.

Again, I donít know where you live, but as a non-smoker , you should have your residence checked for RADON! It is a little known silent cause of lung cancer and can creep up on you.

Regards, zim

Quote Originally Posted by Kudo View Post
    Do you suggest to avoid going to public place during radiation and chemo?

My Saturday (today) routine used to be grocery shopping for half day and eating out, then back to work until mid-night. I have not touched any work for over 10 days now. I am learning to live a new life. Work was my life and Life was work. Why was I so stupid?
    You should do as much as you can. We have a saying around here "its better to be doing then sitting". The only reason you shouldn't be out and about is if your white blood cell count dips too much. Otherwise, do as much as you can. Even work, if that's what you want to do.

mike
    At the time - 46 yo male, non-smoker
    Sept 2012 - DX - One tumor NSCLC Squamous Cell Right Upper Lung
    Oct 2012 - TX - Treatment similar to Pancoast Tumor - Pre-operation radiation and chemo (5.5 weeks of IGRT and 3 cycles of Cisplatin and Etoposide)
    Dec 2012 - Surgery - Remove RUL, Surgical Pathology Report Adenocarcinoma T2N0M0
    Now - Wait, watch, & pray

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by icaps3 View Post
    Hello Kudo,

Like Pet, Iím Stage 4, (but with different outcome.) You are lucky in one sense-- you have caught it early.

Both Jodie and Mike b. are plank owners here and offer sage advice.

So Listen.

I should tell you that Cistplatin will knock you down a peg or two. It Canít be helped. So get prepared, If you donít have a blender, get one. Start making protein milkshakes before treatment so that you get used to them. (Add the protein power sparingly to start with.) EVERYTHING will taste different. Itís OK, it is the same stuff as before , it just taste different. (Often metallic)Ö They will give you steroids to help you eat, they will screw with your head, so recognize the effects and laugh them off.

Not knowing your situation, Iíll throw in: YOU must take care of your caregiver!! This whole thing can be more scary for them that you; so pucker up and look around you.

Again, I donít know where you live, but as a non-smoker , you should have your residence checked for RADON! It is a little known silent cause of lung cancer and can creep up on you.

Regards, zim

Hi Zim:

Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't know what to say....

Great point about Radon. I definitely will check. Very good point about caregiver too.

I heard Carboplatin has less side effect than Cisplatin. Do you have any experience with Carobopltin?

Best regards,

Newbie New User
    Hi Jodie:

Thanks for advice.

Best regards,