A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: peritoneal metastisis

Senior User
    Hi Susan,

I'm scared too! (Check out new signature). I was glad to hear about your tumor killing success and sorry for the new developments. I thought for sure you would have graduated the forum by now since you would be cured. we would have missed you! Maybe it Will take just a little more work - do not be discouraged. your oncologist sounds positive - that's fantastic! One thing you said in your initial post - "I know I shouldn't be googling" - caused me some worry. Googling/researching could help. You may find a promising clinical trial your Dr was not aware of. Or a treatment others used that your Dr had not thought of. Those guys are very time limited and can't tailor treatment to each patient. Sometimes a suggestion to them really helps.

Chemo is going ok. My onc does metronomic therapy so I am chemo-dressed all the time albeit with a lower dose. Tired, hard to find something apetizing, and running for the toilet. Not much nausea with this treatment. Just praying that it will be effective for a long time.

Best wishes!
    Mar. '18 - Diagnosed Stage IV with liver mets CA-19 124,000
    Apr. '18 - Started chemo - Gem, Abrx, Cis
    July and Sept '18 - Ct scan - all tumors shrinking
    Oct. '18 - CA-19 - 1,495
    Oct. '18 - Started Gem, Abrx 1/2 dose
    - Ca-19 up to over 6,000
    April '19 - Started 5-fu, Abraxane, Oxaliplatin
    Ca-19 down to 600, missing many doses due to
    low platelets
    Aug '19 - Started Irrinotecan, abraxane, cysplatin
    missing doses, low platelets
    Sept '19 - Ca-19 holding steady, ct scan shows 2 small
    lung nodules - 3mm, 5mm, blood clot in pulmonary
    vein, primary and liver mets stable started blood thinner
    Oct. '19 Switched back to POLF treatment - Paclitaxel,Oxaliplatin,
    Leucovorin, 5FU

Regular User
    Hi Jamiepat,

Sorry about your situation. My mom is feeling the same things except thankfully she does not have that much diarrhea.

If I may go a little bit off topic, may I know what is your usual platelet counts the day before chemo?

Recently, even with the reduced dose, my Mom was having problem with her platelet counts. So her Folfirinox has been postponed, becoming 3 weeks (from the usual interval of every 2 weeks). Doctor said it is common to have myelosuppression after many cycles. (This is going to be her 12th cycle.) But she does not have problems with the other counts.

She was also prescribed 25mg of eltrombopag (Revolade) for 3 days to boost the platelets, but it did not help this time.

Her D-1 count was only 60k.

John

Senior User
    Hi johndoe60,
    platelets and neutrophils go low after treatment. Bone marrow stimulants help with the white cells but I need to miss a treatment if platelets drop below 60. Average is maybe 60 to 80 on a good cycle. Sometimes they just pop back up - wish I could control the pattern.
    Your mom sounds like she is doing very well considering the chemo. I wish there was a solution to low platelets for us.
    Oct. '18 - CA-19 - 1,495
    - Ca-19 up to over 6,000
    low platelets
    Leucovorin, 5FU

Senior User
    Jamiepat,
    I am no longer considered curable...that went out the window when they found the enlarged node at the surgical site...and now w/tumors around my liver...well...Im in the same boat as everyone else.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    53 yrs old
    3/8/18 went to ER w/what i thought to be gall bladder issues...CT and MRI found 1.5 cm spot on body/neck of pancreas
    Followed up with EUS No mets/contained
    3/18 started 4 cycles of Gem/Abrax
    5/18 CT scan showed tumor shrinkage .97cm
    7/18 Pre surgery CT scan shows slight tumor growth (1.2cm) could be necrosis.
    8/3/18 distal pancreatomy/splenectomy-open procedure. No mets, 1 lymph node involvement.(distant) Staged 2B
    9/18 CA19 33 NORMAL
    10/10/18 Starting 3 mos Folfirinox adjuvant therapy.
    5/19 CT scan shows enlarged lymph node at surgical site. EUS biopsy determines cancer. Local and contained.
    6/19 Begin radiation. View Ray MRI 5 day regimen.
    8/19 CA19-9 down! no signs of lymph node!!!
    10/2 3 weeks of abdominal/right side pain. CT scan shows small (1mm) soft tissue nodule suspect for Peritoneal Mestastasis. CA 19- way up (1010)

Senior User
    I'm so sorry events took that turn. It was hard to believe since things started out positively and you worked so hard with the chemo and whipple and after effects. It's not fair, and I 'll just say it - it's not fair. You did everything correctly and should have had a cure.
    Can you move to any clinical trials or other treatments? I've read a bit about hipec for the intraperitoneal mets. Who knows how long you might be able to push things out? That's where I'm at - trying for more time. Let's work on it.
    Sending my most gently encouraging thoughts to you.
    Oct. '18 - CA-19 - 1,495
    - Ca-19 up to over 6,000
    low platelets
    Leucovorin, 5FU

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiepat View Post
    I'm so sorry events took that turn. It was hard to believe since things started out positively and you worked so hard with the chemo and whipple and after effects. It's not fair, and I 'll just say it - it's not fair. You did everything correctly and should have had a cure.
    Can you move to any clinical trials or other treatments? I've read a bit about hipec for the intraperitoneal mets. Who knows how long you might be able to push things out? That's where I'm at - trying for more time. Let's work on it.
    Sending my most gently encouraging thoughts to you.
    It is kinda hard to believe that i started out w/so many things in my favor. I have not heard of hipec, i will look it up. Let's definitely do all we can. You are such a kind person for encouraging everyone else. XOXO
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    53 yrs old
    3/8/18 went to ER w/what i thought to be gall bladder issues...CT and MRI found 1.5 cm spot on body/neck of pancreas
    Followed up with EUS No mets/contained
    3/18 started 4 cycles of Gem/Abrax
    5/18 CT scan showed tumor shrinkage .97cm
    7/18 Pre surgery CT scan shows slight tumor growth (1.2cm) could be necrosis.
    8/3/18 distal pancreatomy/splenectomy-open procedure. No mets, 1 lymph node involvement.(distant) Staged 2B
    9/18 CA19 33 NORMAL
    10/10/18 Starting 3 mos Folfirinox adjuvant therapy.
    5/19 CT scan shows enlarged lymph node at surgical site. EUS biopsy determines cancer. Local and contained.
    6/19 Begin radiation. View Ray MRI 5 day regimen.
    8/19 CA19-9 down! no signs of lymph node!!!
    10/2 3 weeks of abdominal/right side pain. CT scan shows small (1mm) soft tissue nodule suspect for Peritoneal Mestastasis. CA 19- way up (1010)