A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: how do tell if bolus is delivering FU-5

  1. #1
    Newbie New User
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5

    how do tell if bolus is delivering FU-5

    Had my first chemo of Oxiplatin infusion today and it is being followed by a bolus infusion to take place over 58 hours
    I have noticed that the plastic bolus does not visually seem to be emptying any FU-5 medication 10 hours after the tube from it was inserted into my port.

    How do I know if the FU-5 is actually being infused? I was told it is infused at a rate determined by a heat sensor that was attached to my chest.

    I will call my oncologist tomorrow morning about my concern but would appreciate any info clarifying how to tell if the bolus is working as it does not seem to be emptying

  2. #2
    Regular User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    42
    Are you sure the pump isn't for 46 hours? That is what I have and is also what others have described here. For the first day, it looks like the pump (you're calling it a bolus) hasn't emptied a single bit, but by the second day, you will see a huge difference in the pump size - after 46 hours, it almost flat.

  3. #3
    Experienced User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    64
    As Deb mentioned, the current standard of care for FOLFOX6 is to have the Oxali infused at the clinic along with the other pre meds followed by a 46 hour 5FU pump infusion. Deb is correct that the bag doesn't seem to decrease much in size during the first few hours. But you can certainly call your oncologist's office and they can verify things. I've never heard of a heat sensor being used which determines the rate of infusion. I had a pump which was programmed by a nurse based on the orders of my oncologist.

    Your use of the term bolus is incorrect. Part of the treatment is a one time bolus shot of 5FU that is done at the clinic before the pump is attached. Later in my treatment when my blood count numbers started to drop, my oncologist removed the bolus shot.

  4. #4
    Regular User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
    Your use of the term bolus is incorrect. Part of the treatment is a one time bolus shot of 5FU that is done at the clinic before the pump is attached. Later in my treatment when my blood count numbers started to drop, my oncologist removed the bolus shot.
    zx10guy - you just described my treatment plan to a T! I knew that bolus was being used incorrectly, but provlima is still new at all this. The Oxaliplatin gives me pretty severe neuropathy, but my onc prescribed Gabapentin which has really helped so far. Like you, I've had a problem with really low white blood cell counts, so now I have to inject myself with Nivestym every Saturday and Sunday (treatment day is Wednesday), no bueno.

    I just have to ask about your user name - is the zx10 affiliated with Nissan's ZX models? It caught my attention as I owned a 280ZX back in the early 80s - it was turbocharged, had the roof removable panels, honeycomb wheels and was black with a gold pinstripe package. I loved that car but had to give it up a few years later so I could buy a house, lol.

  5. #5
    Experienced User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by DebSeg View Post
    zx10guy - you just described my treatment plan to a T! I knew that bolus was being used incorrectly, but provlima is still new at all this. The Oxaliplatin gives me pretty severe neuropathy, but my onc prescribed Gabapentin which has really helped so far. Like you, I've had a problem with really low white blood cell counts, so now I have to inject myself with Nivestym every Saturday and Sunday (treatment day is Wednesday), no bueno.

    I just have to ask about your user name - is the zx10 affiliated with Nissan's ZX models? It caught my attention as I owned a 280ZX back in the early 80s - it was turbocharged, had the roof removable panels, honeycomb wheels and was black with a gold pinstripe package. I loved that car but had to give it up a few years later so I could buy a house, lol.
    I didn't have to have Neulasta shots or similar. My blood counts were low but were not low enough to stop any of my scheduled infusions. Neuropathy started midway in my treatment and got bad enough later where my oncologist removed Oxali from the infusion on the 11th round. I went back on it on the last round.

    My user name isn't affiliated to the Nissan cars. It's in relation to my 2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R motorcycle. But it's cool you're into cars. I'm also a car enthusiast. My current weekend toy is a 2013 BMW 135i.

  6. #6
    Regular User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
    My user name isn't affiliated to the Nissan cars. It's in relation to my 2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R motorcycle. But it's cool you're into cars. I'm also a car enthusiast. My current weekend toy is a 2013 BMW 135i.
    Thanks for the reply - yes, I've been a car enthusiast since my teens, which was unusual for a teenage girl during the late 70s. I've run the gamut of vehicles over the last 35 years, from a Volvo, Isuzu, Honda and Toyota. These days I drive an F150 Lariat edition as we live in a very rural area that has become overrun by the Eagle Ford shale play. I felt that a truck would give me a better chance of surviving a crash with one of the hundreds of 18-wheelers on the highway every day. Your Ninja sounds like a great ride!

 

Similar Threads

  1. What is bolus 5-FU?
    By ddessert in forum Pancreatic Cancer Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2017, 10:22 PM
  2. Who do you tell? and why tell them?
    By Maverick91 in forum Prostate Cancer Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 05:41 AM
  3. To tell or not to tell?
    By BKDub in forum Coping and Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2015, 10:20 PM
  4. To Tell or Not To Tell?
    By hbtheprodancer in forum Lymphoma - Hodgkin's and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •