A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Please Help....Very Worried (About Oral Cancer)

Newbie New User

Please Help....Very Worried (About Oral Cancer)

Hello.. I am new here.. I went to ER 2 days ago due to a painful lump inside on my lower lip.. they did CT scan ..can someone help
    me about this result please... I saw it on my patient portal last night..I am scares and worried...Is it cancer ?? Please help
    IMPRESSION:
    1. Buccal mucosa over the left mandible shows asymmetric rounded peripheral
    enhancement up to 6 mm at the canine / premolar level (series 6, images
    117-122). Reported known buccal mucosa lesion, which is potentially inflamed.
    Correlate with oral cavity mucosal exam. Biopsy has reportedly been planned
    prior to ER presentation today. Recommend clinical follow-up.
    2. No neck lymphadenopathy.
    3. Corrugated luminal regularity right mid cervical ICA, possible mild FMD
    (fibromuscular dysplasia) - not definitive.
    4. Heterogenous thyroid gland which is normal size. Correlate with thyroid
    function tests.

Hello, there's nothing in the report you provided that indicates cancer. Buccal mucosa lesions are quite common, and can be exacerbated by salty or spicy foods. You actually went to the ER for this--did you try swishing warm salt water, a water + peroxide solution, or even something like Orajel? All three of those can help with oral lesions or other common mouth sores.

What makes you think this might be cancer?
    Age 54 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    3/7/13 - CT-scan inconclusive, endoscopy negative
    3/9/13 - FNA of neck mass
    3/14/13 - Received dx of squamous-cell carcinoma, unknown primary
    3/25/13 - CT-PET scan reveals no other active tumors
    3/26/13 - work/up for IMRT
    4/1/13 - W1, D1 of weekly cetuximab
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    5/20/13 - complete 8 week regimen of weekly cetuximab
    5/24/13 - Complete 35-day regimen of daily IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2014 - No signs of cancer
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED
    Spring 2019 - NED

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyLou View Post
    Hello, there's nothing in the report you provided that indicates cancer. Buccal mucosa lesions are quite common, and can be exacerbated by salty or spicy foods. You actually went to the ER for this--did you try swishing warm salt water, a water + peroxide solution, or even something like Orajel? All three of those can help with oral lesions or other common mouth sores.

What makes you think this might be cancer?
    Hello IndyLou... Thank you for your reply...The tumor is deep inside my lower lip ..I tried all those thing you mention but it doesn't help... It swollen and it hurts so bad... I google Buccal mucosa tumor and they said 90% is cancer

Where in the report did they call this a "tumor?" A "lesion" does not mean the same thing as "a tumor."

I understand this medical issue is causing you some anxiety, but by substituting words and Googling for information, you're only causing yourself to worry.

The report did suggest to have a clinical follow-up. Do you have one of those scheduled?

By the way, what are your demographics...age, male/female...do you use alcohol or smoke? Any family history of cancer?
    Age 54 Male
    early Feb, 2013 - Noticed almond-sized lump in shaving area, right side of neck. No other "classic" cancer symptoms
    late Feb, 2013 - Visited PCP for check-up, PCP advised as lymphoma. Did blood work, orders for CT-scan, referred to ENT
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    mid-July 2013 - CT-PET scan reveals no active tumors, but shows necrotic tissue at site of original tumor
    early Sept 2013 - partial neck dissection to remove necrotic tissue. Assay shows no cancer present.
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED
    Spring 2019 - NED

Newbie New User
    I really don't know why they indicated it was "Lesion" because when I touch on the left side of my lower lip I can feel the hard lump rolling around... It swollen and painful... swollen get better when ER physician gave me steroid and antibiotic ...I called my doctor and he will do the biopsy next Thursday... I am 50 year old Chinese female... no drinking...no smoke...my grandfather has liver cancer.

You don't sound like the typical oral cancer patient, but the good news is that you're seeing your doctor and getting medical care, and that's the most important thing. It's also good to hear that the steroid and antibiotic are having some positive effects.

I'm going to move this thread into the "Worried" forum, as you have not yet been diagnosed with any cancer. Please follow up with your doctor, and let us know how your next appointment goes.

Best wishes.
    Age 54 Male
    4/8/13 - W1, D1 of IMRT
    Spring 2015 - NED
    Spring 2016 - NED
    Spring 2017 - NED
    Spring 2018 - NED
    Spring 2019 - NED