A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: New Member

Newbie New User

Hi all

Well this is my story so far. I was feeling week and tired a lot and my wife finally convinced me to go to my Doctor for a checkup. While all seemed to be ok, my blood test showed me to be very anemic (8.2). My General Practitioner sent me to an Oncologist who set me up for two Iron infusions treatments. This brought my level back up to over 11 (still low but way better) She then instructed me to provide 3 stool samples, all of which showed minor traces of blood. To find out where the bleeding was she scheduled me for a CT scan and a colonoscopy. CT scan was first but all seemed normal. The colonoscopy, however showed the bad news. I had a mass that the Doctor said he was 99% sure was cancer. Sure enough, the biopsy came back positive for cancer and I was scheduled for surgery about 3 weeks later.

I had laparoscopic surgery to remove my ascending colon and some 20 lymph nodes, one of which came back positive for cancer. Since there was only one Lymph node with cancer my oncologist said I will only need to do an abbreviated Chemo. (4 sessions three weeks apart plus the pills) My oncologist has started me on Xeloda for 2 weeks twice a day and tomorrow I do my first Chemo treatment. She did suggest that I could do without a port if I wanted so I elected to just get arm stuck each time.

In researching on the web I found this site and thought I might join and maybe get some pointers as I go through my treatments.

Welcome ODGA. I’m sorry that you have been diagnosed with cancer but it sounds like you’ve gotten pretty far so far with the surgery and starting the chemo. There are plenty of people here that will be able to help you and I’m glad you found the site.

Newbie New User
    Went to Chemo yesterday - gave me Oxaliplatin - Since I did not have a port I had an IV in the lower right arm. it was a two hour procedure but about 1.5 hours in my arm started tingling and it was starting to get really intense when it finally ended at 2 hours. -
    Side effects. Tingling in Arm still there today but getting better - Blurry eyes an da little tunnel vision. When I eat my first bite really hurts in the jaw. but after 2 or 3 bites there is no pain. had a little trembling in my right arm when holding a glass of water. I had a closing effect in my throat but not enough to effect breathing. but did bring on a cough and felt like a cold or flu. a little tired after I got home. feeling tingling when I wash hands or touch cold items. not much nausea feeling and took my anti-nausea meds so no problems there.
    all in all not too bad but glad I have the rest of weekend to rest up before Monday at work.

Quote Originally Posted by ODGA View Post
    Went to Chemo yesterday - gave me Oxaliplatin - Since I did not have a port I had an IV in the lower right arm. it was a two hour procedure but about 1.5 hours in my arm started tingling and it was starting to get really intense when it finally ended at 2 hours. -
    Side effects. Tingling in Arm still there today but getting better - Blurry eyes an da little tunnel vision. When I eat my first bite really hurts in the jaw. but after 2 or 3 bites there is no pain. had a little trembling in my right arm when holding a glass of water. I had a closing effect in my throat but not enough to effect breathing. but did bring on a cough and felt like a cold or flu. a little tired after I got home. feeling tingling when I wash hands or touch cold items. not much nausea feeling and took my anti-nausea meds so no problems there.
    all in all not too bad but glad I have the rest of weekend to rest up before Monday at work.

So, ODGA. how's it going, five days later? Seemed to me things just about (almost) felt normal when my two weeks was up and I had another infusion to do. As I recall, effects were cumulative over the twelve weeks (Six infusions over 12 weeks). I had 5FU boluses each time as well.

The cold sensation got so it was difficult to hold a juice carton or anything else cold. I had an "Ov-glove" that helped much. Other issues were related to getting some sense of control of my bowel. Some one (the infusion lab or in the support group I attended) commented that I shouldn't even try to have bowel control while doing the chemo. Just let it be what it is and pick it up later. It was good advice. I am now six years away from diagnosis and things are manageable for me.

I now walk at the local mall, it took me a year or two to figure out why I walk there. We have beautiful walking paths around here. So, on reflecting about it, I realized that the mall has very smooth, predictable footing and with my continuing neuropathy in my feet that's important. Too, there are bathrooms at the ready there, fairly clean and easy access. Both considerations are important enough to keep me walking there. The temperature there is fairly consistent as well.

I do have bad neuropathy in my feet and as I look back, maybe I could have done with fewer treatments? I don't know, but I have now been NED for six years. WOO HOO..

doug
    MyJourney:
    August 2004 Colonoscopy Clear
    June-July 2013 Abdominal Discomfort Upper Abdomen X-ray, UltraSound, CTScan all clear
    8.23.13 Diagnosed 5cm tumor on rectum wall: adenocarcinoma @age 66
    Aug-Sept2013 Met with Surgeon,Hematologist and Radiation oncologist
    Oct.-Nov.: Xeloda concurrent with radiation: 25 doses
    November CTScan, MRI and surgeon scoped: Tumor gone, scar tissue
    1.6.14 Surgery LAR: Rectum removed, sphincter remains: Pathology: no lymph node,
    Tumor downgraded from Possible T3 to T2
    Feb. - April Chemo:5 FU and Oxilaplatin:6 infusions over 14 weeks
    9.4.14 ColonoscopyClear,CT Clear
    Dec.14 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .9
    Mar.15Follow up BlWk +,CEA .6
    June.15 Follow up BlWk +,CEA .7
    Sept2015Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Dec2015SurgicalHerniaRepair
    Sept2016Followup BlWk + CEA .7 CTScanClear NED
    Sept-Oct2017Followup All clear NED
    Sept-Oct2018CTScan+Clear Bldwk+
    Mar2019Bldwk+NED