A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-surgery tips and packing ideas?

Top User
    Wean off the caffeine and alcohol before to avoid annoying withdrawal symptoms during.

Loose fitting synthetic comfy clothes.

Stool softeners. Any difficulty with stool and constipation is to be avoided. No bearing down.

Avoid the opioids. They will probably give you a shot for the ride home. It's enough. They will constipate you and you really don't need them. Use over the counter pain relief if you need it.

The pain meds they give you at the hospital will last through the day after. Enjoy the high, but don't overdo anything, its not real. The second day after you will come down. Just be aware. No lifting, bags, travel luggage, furniture, anything.

After catheter removal ditch any cotton tighty whities. Go 100% synthetic stretch trunk briefs. Will hold the pads in place and dry faster. Also, they will support the scrotum.

Get up and walk briefly hourly. You want to avoid clots in the legs.

Drink plenty of water.

Follow prep instructions.

Mind the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Another View Post
    Wean off the caffeine and alcohol before to avoid annoying withdrawal symptoms during.

Loose fitting synthetic comfy clothes.

Stool softeners. Any difficulty with stool and constipation is to be avoided. No bearing down.

Avoid the opioids. They will probably give you a shot for the ride home. It's enough. They will constipate you and you really don't need them. Use over the counter pain relief if you need it.

The pain meds they give you at the hospital will last through the day after. Enjoy the high, but don't overdo anything, its not real. The second day after you will come down. Just be aware. No lifting, bags, travel luggage, furniture, anything.

After catheter removal ditch any cotton tighty whities. Go 100% synthetic stretch trunk briefs. Will hold the pads in place and dry faster. Also, they will support the scrotum.

Get up and walk briefly hourly. You want to avoid clots in the legs.

Drink plenty of water.

Follow prep instructions.

Mind the tube.
    Thanks.

I don't drink alcohol but I do love some coffee but not to the point of having withdrawals.

The underwear are a problem I love my Duluth trading boxers. Guess I'll have to shelve those for a while.

I worry a lot about that tube. I might establish a 15' no wife zone around me. I could put her in a 100k square foot empty room with one standard house brick laying in the middle and she would trip over it, God love her.

It is going to be an adventure. I was pretty cavalier and brave about it when it was 3 months out, now I can see it on my outlook calendar when viewing current day. One month from today....wow. whoda thunk it....ending up here this early.

Quote Originally Posted by DjinTonic View Post
    Forum Brothers have offered tips on RP topics in addition to what to pack. Real estate on the fist Forum page is limited. You may find other things to buy, have at hand, and do/not do when you get back.
    Much obliged, thanks for all you guys do. This is a great forum, I can honestly say that if it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't be in as good of a position in my journey.

Senior User
    Something soft and padding to sit on for the drive home ... otherwise you will feel even the smallest of bumps on the road.
    Age DX 63 dob 1955
    8/11/16 CT scan (blood/sand in urine). Prostate norm w/cent calcification.
    11/6/18 GP freq urine/retro ejact. PSA 7.1 (RX Proscar/Flomax)
    12/18 PSA 4.1 14.8% Free Proscar? MRI Lesion 1.6cm. Lymph nodes sim to 2016 CT, prostate norm size. Stage 3. PIRADS 4
    1/19 Biopsy 2/5/19 DX
    2/19 Bone/CT scans: No evid met chest/abd/pelvis
    3/2019 RALP Cath out/post-op path rpt week later:
    G9 (4+5) (65-70% + 15-20%)
    Dominant tumor: 4.3 cm apex to base, bilat.
    LNI+ (4 of 12 on R, largest 4mm, 1 of 8 on L, 9 mm)
    EPE+ (right lat., post. and L lat. aspects apex to base and at ant. mid aspect)
    Intaraductal component+, BNI-, SVI+, LVI+
    SM+ (carcinoma unifocally extends to ant. mid margin area of EPE (2mm)
    Prostate fat: neg. pT3b pN1
    5/2019 Casodex 2-weeks. uPSA 0.11
    5/24 uPSA 0.11 Lupron injection
    6/19 uPSA .02
    8/7 began 39 sessions RT 70.2 Gy (last session 10/1)
    8/23 uPSA .01 Lupron injection
    9/27 uPSA <0.01
    10/22 uPSA <0.01

Quote Originally Posted by Trex Dino View Post
    Something soft and padding to sit on for the drive home ... otherwise you will feel even the smallest of bumps on the road.
    I think this one really depends on what kind of ride the OP- or any surgery patient- has. If he has a Fleetwood Brougham or a Town Car, he shouldn't have a problem with this
    Nov 2013 PSA 4.2 Biopsy Jan 2014- 1 core positive, 20% Gleason 6, doctor highly reco'ed robotic RP - 2nd opinion at UPMC April 2014, put on active surveillance. 2nd biopsy Feb 2015, results negative. PSA test Feb 2016, 3.5. 3rd Biopsy Feb 2016. 3 positive cores less than 5%, Gleason 6. Octotype DX done April 2016, GPS Score of 24--rated "Low risk". PSA test 8/2016, 3.2. PSA test 1/2018 2.2 (after 7 months of proscar) PSA test 7/2018 2.3, PSA test 7/2019 2.0

DOB 1956, in Pittsburgh, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Southsider View Post
    I think this one really depends on what kind of ride the OP- or any surgery patient- has. If he has a Fleetwood Brougham or a Town Car, he shouldn't have a problem with this
    I'm not that old....it's a minivan 😥 and it's old and worn out. So something soft will work.

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by IceStationZebra View Post
    I'm not that old....it's a minivan �� and it's old and worn out. So something soft will work.
    My wife drove me home (about 20 minutes) in her 2015 Subaru Forester. I had a nice pillow under my tush but wished I had more cushioning. Been there, done that post RALP. Just sayin'.
    Age DX 63 dob 1955
    12/18 PSA 4.1 14.8% Free Proscar? MRI Lesion 1.6cm. Lymph nodes sim to 2016 CT, prostate norm size. Stage 3. PIRADS 4
    1/19 Biopsy 2/5/19 DX
    6/19 uPSA .02
    9/27 uPSA <0.01
    10/22 uPSA <0.01

Senior User
    A robe is Handy. You won't have to wear pants. I never wore pants or underwear and always used the large Cath bag. Trying to wear pants was a hassle. Also if you can find a nice reusable groc bag with handles you can hide the Cath bag in it. I had an nice insulated grocery bag I got at a convention. It was a great disguise. Used a 5 gal home Depot bucket to put Cath bag in at night, next to bed.

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by Busby View Post
    A robe is Handy. You won't have to wear pants. I never wore pants or underwear and always used the large Cath bag. Trying to wear pants was a hassle. Also if you can find a nice reusable groc bag with handles you can hide the Cath bag in it. I had an nice insulated grocery bag I got at a convention. It was a great disguise. Used a 5 gal home Depot bucket to put Cath bag in at night, next to bed.
    Good point wearing a robe ... I did as Busby said. And for me I always used the large bag, using the small back only twice and that was once to a social function and the second to my doc appointment when I got the cath pulled. What worked for me was taking a shank of paracord to fashion a loop over my shoulder/neck allowing me to keep my hands free. Used a small carabiner that would clip on and off using another loop of paracord that stayed in the shower looped around the shower head. Allowed me to shower and the bag was in the shower but no big deal.

The other big point is keep the head of Mr Johnson well lubed for the cath to slide a little in and out. I used KY but others have good points on what they used. Lube of any kind will be your best of friend.

Again, the cush for the tush is really a good idea for the ride home no matter what kinda car you have ... just ask anyone who had a RALP and drove home. Speaking from experience.
    Age DX 63 dob 1955
    1/19 Biopsy 2/5/19 DX
    6/19 uPSA .02
    9/27 uPSA <0.01
    10/22 uPSA <0.01

Moderator Top User HighlanderCFH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IceStationZebra View Post
    I looked expecting it to be there and nada. I swear I don't see it. Strange.

I just adjusted the title a bit to this sticky. It now says,
    "What I Need to Know about Da Vinci Surgery -- BEFORE & AFTER."
    July 2011 local PSA lab reading 6.41 (from 4.1 in 2009). Mayo Clinic PSA 9/ 2011 = 5.7.
    Local uro DRE revealed significant BPH, no lumps.
    PCa Dx Aug. 2011 age of 61.
    Biopsy DXd adenocarcinoma in 3/20 cores (one 5%, two 20%). T2C.
    Gleason 3+3=6. CT abdomen, bone scan negative.
    DaVinci prostatectomy 11/1/11 at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN), nerve sparing, age 62.
    Surgeon was Dr. Matthew Tollefson, who I highly recommend.
    Final pathology shows tumor confined to prostate.
    5 lymph nodes, seminal vesicules, extraprostatic soft tissue all negative.
    1.0 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm mass involving right posterior inferior, right posterior apex & left
    mid posterior prostate. Right posterior apex margin involved by tumor over 0.2 cm length,
    doctor says this is insignificant.
    Prostate 98 grams, tumor 2 grams.
    Catheter out in 7 days. No incontinence, minor dripping for a few weeks.
    Eight annual post-op exams 2012 through 2019: PSA <0.1
    Semi-firm erections without "training wheels," usable erections with 100mg Sildenafil.
    NOTE: ED caused by BPH, not the surgery.