A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on liver mass

Quote Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
    For all I know this mass could have been there for years. I don't know but it seems like every time I go to the dr she needs me to get a new test for something.
    You are right, it could have been there for years in which case getting the CT does no harm. You could be wrong and the mass could be growing in which case the CT could save your life.

If you don't trust your Dr, get another one. Unless she is making up the mass on your liver (which I doubt) there will be more and more tests until they know what the mass on your liver is. That is the diagnostic process - if they did all of the tests on everyone the cost would be staggering. They start with the simplest cheapest tests and work their way up. Every one of us has wished it would go faster and that there were fewer tests. Dragging it out only makes it worse for you.

The blood tests in the next post you made look normal. They will continue to look normal until a major duct in your liver is blocked or until the mass is large enough to destroy liver function.

Down deep you know what you need to do or you wouldn't be here. As Lisa said there is not a lot more that we can tell you until you have a diagnosis. If you do get a diagnosis of cancer, then we may be able to help answer the next questions. If it turns out to be something else, you can stop worrying about it.
    7/12 DX stage 3 pan can (adenocarcinoma) @ 65 - borderline resectable
    8/12 - 10/12 Chemo (GTX) & Stereotactic Radiation
    12/12 Whipple - R0 margins, 2/29 nodes pos.
    1/13 - 5/16 Vaccine clinical trial - randomized to control group - vaccine showed no benefit
    2/13 - 8/13 Gemzar for 6 months
    Quarterly scans - no evidence of disease to 10/14 - spot on lung being watched - possible infection 2 months on antibiotics
    3/15 - spot larger - probable met - surgery planned
    4/15 - PET prior to surg - recurrence & lung mets - Surgery cancelled - EUS w/ FNA showed adenocarcinoma - Stage 4
    5/15 - 9/15 Folfirinox @ reduced dosage - Stopped treatment after 11 infusions due to neuropathy
    10/15 - 8/16 maintenance 5-fu every other week
    8/16 - stable disease on both CT and PET/CT - chemo holiday while other treatments explored
    9/16 - lung biopsy confirms pan can met,
    10/16 -NanoKnife to pancreatic bed -PET after Nano showed new met in hilar lymph nodes - SBRT to both lung & lymph
    4/17 - PET/CT showed significant disease progression, multiple lung mets, pancreatic bed tumor has grown
    5/17 - Started hospice care - striving for acceptance

Stay busy and live life to the best of your ability.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Joey you are being silly...ridiculous even. get the CT scan for heavens sake, its probably not cancer anyway but you need to know what is going on so it can be treated before it kills you. The Liver is a vital organ and anything that goes wrong with it can kill.

Its your life and your decision but as it stands most of us are shaking our heads at your strange and silly resistance to getting that CT scan... In the game of life only the smart people survive so its time to smarten up Joey !

Get that scan ! Good luck
    Age 62
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a Bulky presentation
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011

NED AND DECLARED CURED on the 2/01/2013

No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

Still alive in 2019 !

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Regular User
    When the dr emails me that not getting an abdominal and pelvic CT can lead to a poor prognosis sounds to me like she thinks I have cancer?

Joey,

We've given you all the advice that we possibly can.

I'll repeat - Your Dr doesn't know if you have cancer until a biopsy is taken and shows cancer. They will not do a biopsy until they have a better look at it on a scan.

Get the scan.

Since everything has been said that can be said, I'm closing this thread. If you have more questions after your scan and talking to your Dr, feel free to start a new thread.

My hope is that you never have a reason to come here again.

Bob
    7/12 DX stage 3 pan can (adenocarcinoma) @ 65 - borderline resectable
    8/12 - 10/12 Chemo (GTX) & Stereotactic Radiation
    12/12 Whipple - R0 margins, 2/29 nodes pos.
    1/13 - 5/16 Vaccine clinical trial - randomized to control group - vaccine showed no benefit
    2/13 - 8/13 Gemzar for 6 months
    Quarterly scans - no evidence of disease to 10/14 - spot on lung being watched - possible infection 2 months on antibiotics
    3/15 - spot larger - probable met - surgery planned
    4/15 - PET prior to surg - recurrence & lung mets - Surgery cancelled - EUS w/ FNA showed adenocarcinoma - Stage 4
    5/15 - 9/15 Folfirinox @ reduced dosage - Stopped treatment after 11 infusions due to neuropathy
    10/15 - 8/16 maintenance 5-fu every other week
    8/16 - stable disease on both CT and PET/CT - chemo holiday while other treatments explored
    9/16 - lung biopsy confirms pan can met,
    10/16 -NanoKnife to pancreatic bed -PET after Nano showed new met in hilar lymph nodes - SBRT to both lung & lymph
    4/17 - PET/CT showed significant disease progression, multiple lung mets, pancreatic bed tumor has grown
    5/17 - Started hospice care - striving for acceptance

Stay busy and live life to the best of your ability.

Regular User

High platlet count

I had a CBC done with my endocrinologist and they said everything was normal except my platlets were elevated but not concerning. The count is 381 and it should be under 350 but when I checked my CBC from last March from my primary DR it was 362 and the range was 150 to 450....so 381 isn't high by their scale so I am not sure if this is something to check further?

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    You previously posted regarding whether or not you should proceed with a CT scan which was recommended by your doctor, a trained medical professional. Now, here you are asking questions about your platelet count. Why not push your doctor for further explanation?

You are clearly worried but it is up to you to heed the advice of your doctor. As of now, you do not have cancer. Only a pathology report based on complex testing can answer these questions.

Again, we can not guess what your health situation is only to tell you to be your own advocate for your health.

Super Moderator Top User ddessert's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If there is one thing cancer patients learn, it is:

You are your own best health advocate.

For one, that means following through with your doctors when you don't feel something is right.
    BRCA2 3398del5
    Dec 2010 - back/abd pain
    May 2011 - Unresectable stage III, 2.5cm tumor
    Jun-Aug 2011 - Gem/Cis, 9 rounds
    Oct-Nov 2011 - IMRT+Xeloda
    Oct 2011-Sep 2012 - shrinking tumor
    Feb 2012 - National Familial Pancreatic Study
    Aug 2012 - Downgraded to stage IIA, PGP
    Sep 2012 - Whipple, T3N0M0, 0.5cm tumor, 0/16 lymph nodes
    Dec 2012 - Quebec PanCan Study
    Sep 2012-May 2019 - NED
    Mar 2013-present - NCT01088789
    Jun 2019- NCT03805919
    @pancanology

Regular User

Never got it checked could it be cancer?

2 years ago I had an ultra sound on my gallbladder (which was fine) due to what seemed liked IBS. They saw a large mass on my liver with legions. My blood tests were normal. My DR said I needed a CT scan but I never went. 2 years later I donít feel any different. Same occasional bloating or upset stomach but I have had that on and off as long as I can remember. If it was cancer would I have gotten worse by now? For all I know, that mass could have always been there.

Administrator Top User lisa1962's Avatar
    Joeyk24

You have posted on this forum only a few times within the past two years, inquiring about the same thing. Awhile ago, you were suggested by your physician to obtain a CT scan but you choose not to? In any event, cancer does not sit still, it progresses.

I would refrain from posting on this site. If you are ever diagnosed with cancer, and we hope that will never be the case, we will be here for you.

Make an appointment and talk with your doctor
    I am closing this thread as we have suggested all we can.

Lisa

Regular User

If 3 out of my 4 grandparents had cancer am I at a higher risk?

My maternal grandmother died at 70 from breast cancer. Maternal grandfather at 76 from pancreatic cancer. Maternal grandmother at 76 from lung and ovarian. All first diagnosed in their 70ís (except maternal grandmother about 6. My parents are in their 70ís and they are fine. I know that it can skip a generation. My doctor had said if my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer in her 40ís or 50ís then I should screened earlier otherwise not until I was 40. I guess itís more hereditary if itís diagnosed at a younger age? I guess my question is if they were diagnosed later in life do I have a higher change of getting it younger in my 40ís and 50ís?