A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: I HATE the neuropathy

I HATE the neuropathy

I got neuropathy in all of my finger tips (it comes and goes, not constant), my oncologist is puzzles that it didn't start until about 1 month post chemo. Anyway, it's been about 7 months since my chemo, so it's looking like I'll have this for the rest of my life.

My question is this: does it get worse when the weather gets colder? The flair ups have been getting more frequent and severe. It's a pins/needles and burning sensation. Just about unbearable.

I tried gabapentin for a little bit but i have horrible memory so I didn't take the meds regularly. I vape CBD oil regularly as it is. Problem is, the cbd isn't seeming to work like it did (for the neuropathy) so I might have to go back to the gabapentin

My day job is a medical records clerk so I'm using my hands to type constantly, all day, for 5 days of the week. Hobbies wise, I'm an artist (digital and traditional) as well as a writer and researcher, so my hands are pretty important.
    Lymphoma fighter, 25, ISTJ, LGBTQIA, Pagan
    My journey so far:
    September 2018 - dx with lymphoma
    October 2018 - 2 lung biopsies, pending information in regards to lymphoma stage, lymphoma type and treatment plan
    Halloween/Nov 1 2018 - dx with stage 2 lymphoma unfavorable, got 1st round of chemo on Nov 1, feeling nauseaous and tired but overall ok, taking supplements to reduce risk of losing hair
    April 4 2019 - Final Chemo!
    May 20 2019 - first radiation treatment!
    June 3 2019 - final radiation treatment!

Experienced User
    Now that winter is setting in here in the northeast it does seem that cold weather accentuates my neuropathy. I have fairly severe neuropath in the feet and toes from CHOP. Warm soaks make them feel better. They are improving over time. My wife had significant neuropath in her fingers from chemo to treat a breast cancer reoccurrence. It has now been over a year and here symptoms have significantly reduced. So there is hope that things will get better. We have been told that it takes over a year for the body to heal from chemo.
    63 years old.
    21 Jan 19 - Victorious Bikram 90 Min Hot Yoga!
    22 Jan 19 - Referred to ER for potential appendicitis, CT w/ contrast was negative for appendicitis but was informed I should see an oncologist ASAP, amused & annoyed
    25 Jan 19 - First visit with oncologist - first words, " I fear we are dealing with a serious form of Lymphoma, some which is not curable", PET Scan and Biopsy ordered, in denial
    14 Feb 19 - "B" symptoms debilitating, on Morphine top off with Extra Strength Tylenol, no longer in denial
    15 Feb 19 - Diagnosed Acute AITL - Stage 3B, 6 cycles CHOP and Auto SCT immediately following recommended, in shock
    01 Mar 19 - First CHOP cycle on way to SCT, resolved to see this thing through!
    19 Jun 19 - Last CHOP cycle
    03 Jul 19 - Scheduled for Transplant
    05 Aug 19 - Transplant deferred, lung surgery to remove growing nodule
    29 Aug 19 - Re-scheduled for Transplant
    23 Sep 19 - Admitted for Auto Transplant
    12 Oct 19 - Discharged from Transplant to home recovery