A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: prognoisi

prognoisi

i have been reading about prognosis since by colon resection and was surprised to see that the prognosis for stage 1 was 85-90%. if this figure for stage 1 is not 100% why is neither radiation or chemo recommended to try to increase the survival rate and why is this not being offered as a possibility to me?
    thanks---mjl

Experienced User
    It adjuvant treatments have no side effects, they will be recommended. Usually physicians (researchers) will balance between the benefits and cost (not financial cost, I mean side effects) before recommending a treatment.

By the way, radiation is usually indicated if the patients have more advanced rectal cancer. Usually radiation is not recommended for colon cancer patients. Of course there are exceptions.

Hope I have answered your questions.

Dr. Jay Lu

Experienced User

Re:

It adjuvant treatments have no side effects, they will be recommended. Usually physicians (researchers) will balance between the benefits and cost (not financial cost, I mean side effects) before recommending a treatment.

By the way, radiation is usually indicated if the patients have more advanced rectal cancer. Usually radiation is not recommended for colon cancer patients. Of course there are exceptions.

Hope I have answered your questions.

Dr. Jay Lu