A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cayenne Pepper

Regular User

Cayenne Pepper

In April 2006 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer after a biopsy - Gleason score 6(3+3). I was strongly urged to have the prostate removed immediately. I refused & starting doing research. I found a Cedars-Sinai Medical Center/UCLA School of Medicine study that said that capsaicin (the stuff that makes pepper hot) fed to rats bred to have human prostate cancer had caused the tumors to die! (I put a link here to the study report but it has been removed by the admin - search for "prostate cancer study" & you will find it)

I immediately started taking cayenne pepper capsules daily. I took the equivalent human dose from the study, doubled that & made that my goal. I gradually consumed more each week until I reached what I thought was the right dose. I had improved symptoms within the first two weeks - urination was easier - I had not been able to reach orgasm at the time of diagnosis but that too improved & is still improving.

Last month I decided to see a urologist to see what was involved in "Watchful Waiting" - he wanted to do another biopsy since it had been two years - I agreed & the results came back clean - they found no cancer - not a trace! My doctor was stunned & said that in 18 years he had never seen such a result. We had it double checked & I am indeed cancer free.

I am confident it was the cayenne that made the tumor disappear - given the study results.

I plan to keep taking it indefinitely & I recommend it to any male who has been diagnosed with either BPH or prostate cancer.

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi HaydnLover, I am glad that your cancer has responded the the capsaicin treatment you have been using. My concern for you is that I know the biopsies of the Prostate have a higher then "normal" number of face negative results. What is your PSA and free PSA? What were they originally... when you where first diagnosed?

I deleted the link you used because you have not yet earned the privilege to you links to outside websites. You have to be a member for at least one month and have posted at least 10 significant messages in order to use lings.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Regular User
    Brainman,
    Sorry about busting the rules - just got the email with the rule this morning after I had already posted.

tolerating capsaicin

I'd agree with Brainman that, using Occam's Razor (thinking horses rather than zebras when you hear hoofbeats) that it's more likely your first biopsy was misread or your second biopsy missed the cancer. If your Gleason was originally 3+3, that could mean a pretty tame cancer without many focal points. It would be easy for a second biopsy to miss it. I too am interested in what your PSA has been doing. I would also say it seems possible, given the animal studies, that the pepper reduced the size of the cancerous tissue, and although not cured, it was not found again on biopsy. I'm just speculating here..

I like to keep an open mind and I'm willing to admit I don't know whether or not cayenne could have cured your cancer. There has been a recent flurry of research that is promising. What I saw most recently was that it worked well in culture and in 80% of mice it shrank their tumors to 1/5 of their original size, although it did not cure them. But they were fed the equivalent of a person eating 3-8 habanero peppers (very, very hot) every day and I'm not sure many people could tolerate that level of spice.

Here's the article I was reading. Pretty sure it's the same one you referenced:
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-pch031306.php

I see that you've posted this on other websites, and as far as I can tell, you're not trying to sell anything or even promote a particular brand or source.

I tried taking a cayenne supplement once and after one pill, I thought I was on fire...which leads me to ask--how do you tolerate the cayenne?

Also--I wonder what was causing your urination problem and how did the pepper help? It almost certainly would not have been caused by prostate cancer, since urinary symptoms don't show up with 3+3 (usually--goruck might have something to say on this). Pepper for BPH? The same goes for sexual performance--I don't see the connection.

A very interesting post...
    Replicant

Dx Feb 2006, PSA 9 @age 43
    RRP Apr 2006 - Gleason 3+4, T2c, NXMX, pos margins
    PSA 5/06 <0.1, 8/06 0.2, 12/06 0.6, 1/07 0.7.
    Salvage radiation (IMRT) total dose 70.2 Gy, Jan-Mar 2007@ age 44
    PSA 6/07 0.1, 9/07 (and thereafter) <0.1
    http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com

Regular User
    Hi Replicant,

I'm happy to have found the person who knows what "most likely happened". Where were you when I needed you? 8>)

I think it is most likely that the pepper did what it did in the study. Yes, it just reduced the size of the tumors in the study but it did that by causing the cancer cells to commit suicide, hence a smaller tumor. There is every reason to believe that had the study gone on long enough the tumors would be reduced to zero size, i.e. a cure. I've taken high doses of cayenne for two years now.

I don't know what the connection is between cayenne & improved sexual performance or urinary function, I'm just telling you what happened to me. As you said, I'm not selling anything just sharing my experience.

You say confidently that there is no connection - my uroligist says that an inability to climax was related to the cancer, as was the urination problem due to the increased size of the prostate - just like in BPH.

It is obvious to me from this post & some others on other forums that there are some people who take umbrage with my saying I am cured & feel the need to tell me that I'm probably not. Fine, let's call it an apparent cure (as I did on another forum) or a possible cure, I don't care.

I know the tumor was small to begin with - that's what the biopsy said & that's why I refused treatment.

Now, am I "cured"? Only time will tell. The study found that pepper caused cancer cells to self destruct in mice & it seems to have happened in me. The first 6 core biopsy found the tumor & then two years later a 12 core biopsy cannot find any cancer cells - that sounds closer to "cure" than failure to me.

There is a cayenne cap that has added ginger - people that can't take cayenne alone seem to tolerate this better. I have no problem with straight cayenne - the key is gradually adding to the dose. I started taking one 40,000 heat unit cap before each of two meals a day & added another 40,000 cap per dose per week. I now take five 600mg 100,000 heat unit caps twice a day before meals. the body does acclimate to the cayenne & an interesting side effect is I can now eat the hottest Thai or Indian food without discomfort.

Experienced User

george rucker urology

Hi,

What was the amount of cancer in each core and what was your original psa?

What is your psa now?

The two experienced board users have made excellent statistical points here.

george rucker, urology/urologist

Regular User

Re: george rucker urology

Hi George,

It is great to have a urologist aboard. After my second biopsy I told my urologist about my the study & my pepper regimen & that I thought the pepper was responsible. He just smiled & said "Sometime miracles do happen" - no further interest expressed!

My PSA had been around 2.2 for years, was not tested for a couple of years & then at the time of diagnosis was 4.8

Between then & now my PSA has varied between 4.5 & 3.6 - I'm going to my primary tomorrow & will get the results of my last PSA test a month ago - I will post the results.

The biopsy said left side of prostate normal - right side: adenocarcinoma - the tumor had Gleason's combined score 6 (3+3) & involved 25-30% of the tissue in two of 6 needle cores. I had the biopsy double checked.

The second biopsy in April 2008 was 12 core & completely free of any signs of cancer. Again, the biopsy was double checked.

I'm curious if you have read this study & any thoughts on my experience you would care to share
    72 years old.
    2006 biopsy found cancer Gleason score 6 (3+3)
    2008 biopsy - no cancer

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    HaydnLover, 4.8 is a signifacantly high PSA . You should really reconcider more traditional forms of therapy. Even with a PSA of 3.6, there is a significant likelihood that your second biopsy was a false negative.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Experienced User

george rucker urologist

Haydn,

Thank you for sharing your information with us. I will re read the original article and post my thoughts.

George Rucker
    urology/urologist

Experienced User

questions

Haydn,

What is your weight?
    What was the ultimate dose you took?
    Where did you obtain your capsules?

feel free to email me at goruck@gmail.com as where you obtained the capsules may not be information allowed on this board due to spamming in the past by unscrupulous individuals.

I am actually contacting my old contacts at sloan kettering and ucla in rote bench research to obtain follow up and current thinking on this topic.

best

george rucker urologist
    urology