Hysterectomy versus radiation - I need some answers ASAP
I have an early stage and my doctors don 't know what is the best treatment yet. I am getting MRI on Friday and they will give me a decision. So far it is between radiation and operation.
What are your thoughts and stats?
thanks a lot
Diagnosed with Cervical Cancel. scared
No One can tell you what is the best way
- You need to gather as much information as you can about all options. Then follow your heart. Ask a million questions. You need to do this yourself, because your Dr are not.
- PM members here to get information. how why and what.
- search the net, google/search everything.
I'll get a friend on here, who has alot of everything treatment available to give you some information. (Kat).
(I am worried that your Dr's don't seem to know what to do- Even an early stage can change so quick- i know.) Is it worth another opinion?
Let me share my recent experience.
A few weeks ago I was presented with two options once doctor verified I had cervical cancer - size was about 6cm. Either do a radical hyst and 50/50 chemoradiation after surgery OR straight chemoradiation.
I did much research and also posted on this forum. My doctor told me that i can have a radical hyst then there is 50/50 chance we might still have to do chemoradiation after surgery BUT it would be far less dosage than if we just went ahead and did chemoradiation. Doc also told me that I was too young to just go for chemoradiation in such high dosages. I'm 46. She said if I was in my 70's then that straight chemoradiation would be the recommendation.
Ultimately, I decided that I wanted to get that cancer out of my body and did a radical hyst last week (5/21). Surgery was successful - doc said they were able to remove the cancer. It's been 10 days since my surgery - I'm recovering well with no pain (some discomfort) and initial path report of the lymph nodes show no cancer in the lymph nodes.
I'm just now waiting for my pre-op visit to find out if I will still need that low dose chemoradiation. I read somewhere chemoradiation is tough in low dosages - even worse in high doses.
Hi I said I'd get Kat to get back to you on information- I have just been told that she will be unable to get on here for a while- sorry.
She did how ever recommeneded (due to her personal problems and beliefes and from what she has learnt on here) to have the surgery- any sugery but mainly a hysterecomy.
I see that sorrento, has also posted to you. Hopefuly you'll have some good chats together.
I can't decide for you, but I strongly urge you to do alot of research. I, personally, would opt for the hysterectomy over radiation as I have heard terrible things about the radiation and the secondary damage it can cause. This may be something that happens rarely, but still enough to make me think twice.
My thoughts and prayers are with you...I know this is a very scary time!! The good news is that there are many people here who have been where you are and can offer awesome guidance!!
I was also just recently diagnosed with invasive cervical cancer stage 1b1. I'm 54. My treatment options are either a radical hyst with lymph node dissection or low-dose chemo with internal/external radiation. I have to wait a few weeks before I can begin any type of treatment because they want me to do some more healing from my cone biopsy.
I have researched and gotten factual info about the two options, but what I'm really needing now to is hear from real people who have actually experienced the different procedures. It is my decision to make alone as my oncologist-gyn doc said they have equally good results. I would appreciate any input from people who have experienced either of these treatments. Thank you
As I mentioned above I opted for the Radical Hyst and had to do mild vaginal radiation. The surgery was fairly straight forward - I was up and moving around tho rather slowly as soon as I got home. I just finished radiation with little to no side effects. I was glad to get that thing out of my body.
You might find if you do your own thread, you might get better answers to your questions. Just go to the new thread at the top of the index in the cervical forum, then post your own story questions etc.
I was very very lucky- weather they do things a little less evasive or slower here i'm not sure. Mine was very advanced and i booked into have a radical hyst. But i wa saved at the very last min.
Hope you get some more help- read some few storys here, and you might get a better idea, what your up against.
hysterectomy versus radiation
I hope I'm not too late to reply to your post,I'm A 45 year old woman , married with 2 children 10 & 14. 3 years agoafter being misdiagnosed for eighteen months ( I was told I had erosion of the cervix and was cauterised 3 twiced) I was diagnosed with cervical cancer August 2005. I received chemotherapy,cisplatin & 20 sessions of radiotherapy followed by 15 hours of internal radiotherapy, (electron therapy, rods inserted and left in over night whilst radiation treatment given through the tubes direct to the tumour). A hysterectomy was not an option as it had spread into the soft tissue. April 2006, I was told the tumour was gone but by this time I was getting severe kidney pain, I have been in & out of hospitals since then trying to find the cause. September 2007 I was told I had blocked uereters due to radiation damage, a stent was inserted in early december and removed mid february 2008. It had failed, they are now trying a new stent which was inserted 29/8/2008 but I have been told it is unlikely to work as in March 2008 my right kidney function had deterioated to 32% function. If this fails they are looking at ilio conduit surgery as my urologist says there is every chance that my left kidney will go the same way despite the fact at present it is healthy.
I am on constant morphine patches 75mcg and could not function without them,this results on me falling asleep everytime I sit down.
I feel so scared about what lies ahead but have to be positive for the sake of my husband and children.I still work full time except during the school holidays when I stay home to mind my children.
I have an ultrasound on 17/9 and a renogram on 19/9/09 which will determine whether the stent has worked or not
I was told about the late side effects to my bladder & bowel but no mention was made regarding uretic tubes or anything else I also have internal massive scarring. At one point prior to inserting the first stent when I urinated it was always red with blood sometimes I would urinate frank blood. First time this happened I was so scared I thought the cancer had returned but when I went to my GP I was told this was normal after having radiotherapy, my treatment had been finished for six months. I don't want to scare you or anyone else but I just want others in my position to be aware of this and they can perhaps catch it early enough at the first signs. If I had been treated straight away for uretic blockage and a stent inserted, my kidney would not have become so badly damaged.
I am grateful to be here, grateful to my oncologist for destroyinging the cancer inside me but I wish someone had told me more about the side effects of the radiotherapy, perhaps I would have been more prepared to deal with the damage it has done. I wish you luck in your treatment and pray that I have not scared you or upset you in any way, but I beg you bear in mind what I have said and any little niggle, pain check it out.
God Bless & Good Luck
Willow I'm so sorry for all you are going through. You sound like a strong and brave woman, which I'm sure helps greatly. Best of luck to you and please keep us updated on how you're doing.
I am scheduled for rad hyst and pelvic lymph node dissection on Oct 7. I'm nervous about it but will be glad to have the cancer gone.