A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: B17 & Essiac tea query?

Hybrid View

B17 & Essiac tea query?

Hi I am new to this forum. My husband had bladder cancer last year. When it was discovered it was already T3a. He had chemo in an attempt to shrink the tumour before removal, which didn't have much effect. He then had his whole bladder, lymph nodes removed.
    Now he has secondaries in lung and bones. Doc says no cure but he can have chemo & /or radiotherapy as palliative measure. He was very honest with us, and said it might prolong his life a little, but might not. My husband who is quite well at the moment has opted to try B17, Apricot kernels and Essiac tea. He has read the book by Philip Day, and a couple of others. He knows he must be careful not to overdose, but I am worried that taking two differnt treatments he may poison himself. What does anyone else think? Has anyone had good results from taking B17 orally? I would also love to know how the lady got on who was looking for someone to inject Laetrile in January. Did you succeed or is it illegal to do?

While not really believing in either of these treatments, so far as I know they do not have adverse interactions. However, with laetrile, this should really be taken under supervision of a properly trained herbalist or naturopath as there are potential side-effects.

The tea is an immune system booster, of which there are many different forumulae.

My dad was dx with stomach cancer to the liver in January. He had five chemo treatments three weeks apart. He also was doing b17. He takes 20 apricot seeds a day, five at a time throughtout the day and 3 500mg b17 tablets a day,one after each meal. He also takes 2 tablespoons of goji juice every morning and eats some pineapple every morning to get the enyzme you need with b17. After the first three treatments the ct scan showed 50% decrease. They then did two more treatments and the ct scan showed that it was all gone. As of right now,no more chemo.Was it the chemo or the b17,who really knows,but he is continuing to stay with the b17.I pray he will not need anymore chemo. The doctor says only if the tumors start to grow again. He has been doing great the whole time and has had very little side effects. He looks great and is feeling great. His kidney doctor even told him that his kidney function is the best its ever been in the 13 years that he has had diabetes.

B17 & ???Tea

Thanks for your replies. "Saucy" -I found the story of your dad's stomach cancer very encouraging. Who knows whether it was the B17 or not. At least it isn't as toxic as most chemo. I have heard of some getting cyanide poisoning but only when taking really large amounts.

Vee, please can you tell me why the name of the tea was changed to NONONONO instead of Es. Tea? It's not like its a brand name, or an advertisment any more than Latraele (sorry can't spell it) so I am puzzled

It is to avoid people advertising or spamming dubious products. If you look back through the forum you will see that there have been problems in the past with claims as to the efficacy of this [and other] products.

Laetrile is the proper name of the drug that is extracted from apricot pits.

The tea has a commercially registered trade name.

Regular User
    I am very sorry to hear about your husband.

Although I can not give you any information about B17 I can tell you that my father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer of Dec. 07 and has been using the said tea along with Chemo and Cesium PH therapy.

I believe that the tea has helped my father and his most recent CA-19 markers are at a normal level of 12. He is sheduled for a PET scan in 2 weeks and we pray that we have made some positive progress.

I will never really know if the altenative treatments have helped or cured anything. But I can tell you that it has not hurt him. We pray and remain positive that dad will continue to have the energy he does today and continue to live his life on his terms.

Good luck and God bless you and your family.

Our oncologist told us not to touch that juice/tea? because the anti-oxidant abilities can undermine the effectiveness of chemo.

Apricot pits = B17=Laetrile=cyanide. Laetrile was banned in the United States decades ago. Careful. Vee is right -- only under the supervision of an approved naturopath in conjunction with the oncologist.

The problem is some people take these things without consultation with their oncologist and they need to know EVERYTHING that you are putting into your mouth supplement/vitamin wise. Our oncologist required that we bring every single medicine, vitamin, and supplement to every office visit so he could review them for any adverse interactions.

It's hard because you want to feel like you are doing SOMETHING for yourself or your loved one, but the reality is that you ARE, if you are having chemotherapy or radiation.

Best of luck to all,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Regular User
    PBJ,

I am curious if you questioned how something that would cleanse the system with antioxidants would undermine the Chemo? It does not seem logical to me. It also boosts your immune system which is the direct opposite of what Chemo does, it destroys the immune system.

I guess it depends on what type of cancer and who your oncologist is. I consider my family and my father lucky to have a oncologist that agreed to monitor my father while he was on these alternative therapies. He is being treated at a very well known hospital and I was actually suprised when his doctors said it was fine to use these alternatives. It made me think very seriously about the potential effectivness of these so called unproven treatments.

I agree with your statement that you are doing SOMETHING if you are using Chemo. or Radiation. My questions is are you doing EVERYTHING that you can do for your loved ones.

I can only tell people on this forum my personal experience dealing with my fathers very grim diagnosis. I will state again, we are very fortunate to still have my dad here today living a quality life.

Paul

Hi,

I wasn't intending to get very technical and don't know all the jargon, but there is a window of time following chemotherapy when antioxidants interfere with with the effectiveness of many chemo drugs. It gets into half-lifes and other areas of drugs. After that window, some doctors do feel it is okay to take antioxidants, because they won't undermine the chemo by that point in time.

It's different for each type of chemotherapy drug, so that's why you must coordinate with a naturopath and an oncologist. By taking them throughout the entire chemo cycle you could very well be getting less positive effects on the tumors from the chemo because it is fighting against the antioxidants. These may protect the very cells you are trying to destroy.

Our experience was different than most. My husband had an incredible immune system so beefing up his system never was a factor for him. He continually amazed the doctor, despite having enormous amounts of chemo. He also had Stage IV lung cancer, also a grim cancer at best. I did a lot of research on supplements too, but ended up realizing that it wasn't going to help with the cancer and he didn't need assistance with his immune system.

Here is a link to Cesium Chloride information from Memorial Sloan Kettering: http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69172.cfm

Ditto for N**i juice -- at least I think that's what you are all talking about. Hard to tell when the brand name gets nuked! http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69312.cfm

By the way, I just spent Sunday at a party with a FIVE YEAR survivor of pancreatic cancer. It brought tears of joy to my eyes and I thought I'd share that bit of light with you. Granted his was caught at an early stage, but it still was heart-warming to see this.

Best of luck to your Dad,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

B17, E-Tea

Hi everyone,
    Not visited the site for couple of weeks as we have been away. I find it interesting reading everyone's different views on chemo and alternatives. However, from what I understand, whilst chemo works quite well on some cancers, eg colon, breast. it doesn't have such a good record on some others.
    My husband was told quite frankly by his oncologist that any chemo he has in future is palliative. It isn't going to cure him, and may actually make him worse, because of the way it damages the immune system. Quite honestly we have nothing to lose by trying alternatives. The "average" life expectancy now his bladder cancer has metastized is 12 months. This could be 6 months or 2 years.
    What we are looking to do now is keep him as well as possible so that he can enjoy whatever time he has left.
    With this in view he is taking High Vit C, multi vits, Omega3,6 and 9 as well as B17 and the Native American herbal tea. He is actually quite well. The only problem at the moment is bone pain in his pelvis where the cancer has spread, which makes it difficult to sit for long and makes driving a real pain.
    I realize there are many people out there who wouldn't agree with this approach. Many of you who would try every form of chemo to battle your cancer and good luck to all of you, there are many excellent stories on this site to show that it works for some.
    We each have to travel our own road and make our own choices.
    I just think it is unfair when governments etc step in and deny people the things they would like to try. Like I said, we have nothing to lose.
    The Big Brother approach to herbal supplements and vitamins is frightening. People should be able to choose for themselves. There is much anecdotal evidence for B17 and other alternatives, but because it isn't backed by the drug companies, who can't make any money from it, it gets banned.
    My husband is at the moment very positive and determined to prove the doctors wrong. I hope that in 5 years time he is still here. It wont prove that any of the other stuff works of course, but it will be another link in the chain of anecdotal evidence, if only we can still manage to get the stuff he wants to take.