A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breast Reconstruction Funding

Newbie New User
    pbj11 Thank you very much for the information I was worried about it because I have my Mastectomy this Saturday the 17th. God Bless Sherry

Oh Sherry! I missed your post and you're likely done with your surgery by now. I ask God for good outcomes and quick healing for you.

Let us know how things went when you are able.

God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Newbie New User

Hi

I have a question, I had surgery a couple years ago at age 37 for early stage breast cancer. Almost exactly a year later the breast that had surgery is now nearly nonexsistant. While I wasn't a large or even close in size it was and still is very heart breaking to now look and see almost nothing. My question is with my not having insurance nor a mastectomy are there resorces to help me get back some of my womenhood and confidence. Thank you for any assistance and may we all get through there times.

Newbie New User
    I know this thread is really old, but if at all posslble, can you provide me witht the information on CO for Free Medical Assistance Program for Breast & Cervical Cancer
    I was underinsured at the time of my diagnosis. I had a double mastectomy last July (2011) and I had a tissue expander put in me during the mastectomy. Although I did have insurance, my deductible is $10,000 and my co insurance is $10,000. This is anually. I have not even paid for the surgery i got last year, and my plastic surgeon says he will not give me the next surgery until i pay him $5000 for the last surgery and a loarge down payment towards my final implant surgery. I am 37 single mom, struggleing to make ends meet. I AM concered about how long this tissue expander can stay in me....

Newbie New User

BFF has no medical insurance, what should she do?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara K View Post
    You have two options.

If you already have medical insurance, it doesn't matter how long after the original mastectomy, the insurance company is required by law to pay for the reconstruction surgery.
    More specific and detailed information about this law and variations by different states is available at this link.
    http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/...867c3c34482d51

If you do not have medical insurance, then Option 2 is for you to apply for the Free Medical Assistance Program for Breast & Cervical Cancer.
    The same requirement applies here, once you have this Medical Assistance coverage, by law, they must pay for the reconstructive surgery regardless of how long it's been since you've had your mastectomy. This is NOT considered to be a purely cosmetic procedure. Instead, it's considered to be a medically necessary procedure after a mastectomy.

Here is a general link that explains the Medical Assistance Program for Breast & Cervical Cancer.
    http://www.coverageforall.org/pdf/FH...vertyLevel.pdf

If you respond to my email and let me know which state you reside in, I can get you detailed and specific information of the eligibility requirements and application process for that state. After working for 29 & 1/2 years for Public Welfare, I know how to search through government websites for information and applications.

Barbara K.
    Hi Barbara,
    I'm searching for some help for my BFF. She had a breast removed because of cancer several years ago. She wasn't able to afford reconstruction surgery at the time because she was/is a self employed hairstylist w/out health insurance. She has been looking for some help every since. She is unable to work as a stylist as she did before so she has applied for disability (unsuccessfully) as well.

Can you help with as much info as you have on the subject of financial help for reconstruction surgery. We live in the state of Kansas.

Thank you,
    MRSSHU