A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canada vs U.S.

Regular User
    Canada does not have socialized medicine or really even universal care. Each province operates it's own health system and all hospitals are private owned - not government run. And doctors work for themselves. Most provinces do not have a monthly tax premium except British Columbia (65-400 dollars a month) rather it is paid for by a combination of sales tax and income tax.

You are not "taxed" every time you go to the doctor or anything which is why abuse of the system (especially emergency rooms) is rampant. The people (mostly the poor and university students) who are making under 20 grand a year pay no income tax of any kind and get a hefty tax return. It truly is a totally free system for them. The hardest workers and highest earners are unfortunately taxed a lot more to compensate.

Wait times vary wildly across the provinces and even each city.

In 2010 At 20 years old I was referred to ENT for a lump in my parotid gland - I found it it march and I has to wait until September to finally see the ENT for the Biopsy (which was benign) and then had my surgery in December (went great) and had no bill to speak of and excellent care.

I have found a lump in my thyroid unfortunately and am currently starting the process to see an ENT again. I phoned my GP a few minutes ago and scheduled an appointment for the 5th of Feb.

I'm personally satisfied with Canadian healthcare.

Regular User
    Personally, I've never seen living in a country with state healthcare as a burden in the way that many others do. I would rather pay my taxes and know that we are prepared for when the worse comes than be left out in the cold.

Living in the UK, I know that the NHS is one of our most valuable national assets, something that many other nations would love to have at their assistance in a time of need. The national health service has served me and my family very well thus far, and it is worth every penny of our taxes. But if there's a better way I wouldn't be the right person to ask, as I was born long after the establishment of the welfare state.

Newbie New User
    Im not quite sure about "valuable assets in the time of need". Two weeks ago at the Havana, Cuba clinic for foreigners talked to American guys pretending being Canadians. All with high deductibles and seeking diabetic foot ulcer treatment. Good for them!

The U.S. is ridiculous. Affordable Healthcare is not affordable for all but THEY are fined if they don't have insurance. I literally wrangled with financial assistance 3 times...and we have insurance. Soon we will go on Medicare which is raided all the time to help other people. So it's covering less and less. I was yelled at over the phone because, even though I was paying $150 a month, the Mayo "required" $325 a month. Can't get blood out of a turnip. The wrote the bill off but I can't go back unless I pay up front. So no more Mayo for me.
    My husband's hospital has been very kind. Between our insurance and charity assistance, everything is paid for until January. After that,mWe will have to use insurance which will cost us about $6,000 if he falls ill again.
    It's hard in Ameriaca unless you are rich and/or have amazing insurance.
    His fight is over. How brave he was. 47 years of love.

I am very happy I am a Canadian and don't mind the taxes we pay as our health care is great. There are wait times but people are prioritized. For instance I have to wait 4 months for an MRI of my knee as I have a tear in it causing some discomfort. My husband got an MRI in 4 days after before referred for a suspected Brain Tumour (and it was confirmed). It is all about the prioritizing. I must say I was frustrated about my knee and the long wait etc, but then when my spouse got tests, diagnosis, and treatment SOOOO quickly for brain cancer, I realize that our system is one that works better than we think.
    I'm glad to be Canadian in the face of such health crisis.

This sticky has been recently done in the worried forum re Insurance in the USA

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...ease-Read-This
    Aussie, age 61
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Years of pain, bleeding, women's plumbing problems. TV ultrasound, tests, eventual hysterectomy 2007, fibroids in lining of Uterus.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011. Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.Still NED Nov 2012.
    Discharged Nov 2014.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma.

Relapse Apr 2016. AITL. Some chemos then on to allo transplant. Onc says long remission was good. Still very fixable.

SCT Aug 2016