A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada vs U.S.

Regular User

Canada vs U.S.

I truly hope that the U.S. gets some form of national healthcare. It's one thing to have to deal with such an awful disease like cancer, but another thing to have the financial worries of paying to keep yourself alive.

Here in Canada everything is free. My Dad had colon cancer than spread to his bladder a couple of years ago. That was fixed up (free of charge of course). Earlier this year it spread to his lungs. Working through the physical and emotional costs of this disease is hard enough. Thankfully we can walk in and out of a hospital for cancer surgeries and treatment and it doesn't cost a cent.

I too hope we get a national healthcare plan. Even if it is not as good for some people as the current private insurances, something is better than nothing.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Socialized medicine is not all that it is cracked up to be. I personally know of too many bad stories, but I'll leave it at that. Tort reform is what is needed to drive down the insurance prices so it's affordable.
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Senior User
    As a fellow Canadian, I have to say that our healthcare is not free.

We are taxed to the teeth, pay more per annum to the health care system that is full of abuses from both patients and health workers......but we can get care without losing our homes.

Unfortunately, when people get sick, there are many other costs that can be quite financially crippling.

We've been paying up to $25/day for parking, while taking my Hubby to his medical appointments.....there is no other parking available, captive audience etc.
    When I called to 'comment', we were offered a discounted fee of $8/day for 5 consecutive days. One time discount.

We've registered with the Cancer Society for free lifts for when he needs treatments and with a low-cost seniors program to take him to doc appointments. We aren't quite seniors but they'll take us because I'm handicapped and he's ill.

Now that he's going to be off work, we have no idea how we'll make the most basic payments for our food/shelter/transportation etc.

I've cashed in my Air Miles for grocery coupons and bought a large stash of canned goods on sale....in case we're snowed in/hydro fails due to ice storm, trees down.

Our heating bills are higher this year, as Hubby is cold most of the time....normally keep it at 66 degrees during the day, it's now at 70/72 degrees.

We've been gathering some of our 'better' clothing, taking it to a consignment shop in the hopes that it sells and have listed quite a few household items on Craigslist and Kijiji (free ads).

Will be cancelling our 'extras' as soon as the offices open....this coming week. Going back to basic phone line, doing laundry during 'off hours', cheaper hydro rates, drying clothing on a rack etc. No more fast food, pizza or restaurant meals either....back to my most basic cuisine. lol

The only 'extra' that's staying is our cable tv with the movie/sports channels.....we got it for my recovery from 2 heart ops, half price promotion til next August. At least Hubby will have lots of 'stuff' to watch while he recovers from surgery or treatments.

I've listed these ideas in the hopes that it might help others who are having to cut back severely.

If you have any other ideas, please share them, much appreciated.

Jean

Senior User
    Just a Post Script to above post:

Although we're taxed to the teeth, I've had two heart ops and a major liver op in less than a year.

Hubby now has Prostate Cancer and is about to start his medical journey.

If we were anywhere but Canada, we'd be bankrupt by now or worse.

Hopefully, we can hold onto our home. Just not sure how....tx.

Jean

Blog Entries

medical and money

I will be brief Unusual for me, I know! - but this is a very sore subject for me- VERY sore....
    I am afraid that as long as there are companies that are run with the shareholders best interest at heart, the US health care system is not what it could be.
    Money, takes care of Money.
    And I'll say no more.
    That is why we have each other.
    Good luck to all, many factors make these tough times for us.
    God Bless
    Kathy: still hearing Ben's music, and feeling his love: but from the Heavens now

I too am Canadian
    My husband has colon cancer.
    Yes a lot of stuff was covered, but not all.
    He worked full time til last summer. Now gets 600 cpp.
    He had no extended medical benifits so all his prescriptions and bags are paid for by us. about 250 per month.
    I have cut my hours back at work to be with him more so my wages dont even cover the rent now.
    We cut back on everything and still I dont know what to do financially.
    None of our family can help as they have no spare money.

Senior User
    Wendy,

I can appreciate fully what you're going through.

We're still waiting for cpp to be approved, it can take up to 20 weeks to get a cheque and 16 weeks for the approval!! Crazy!

As of November 1st, if we want to keep his extended medical, pension and life insurance, WE have to pay his company!! So very wrong, IMO.

Jean

Regular User
    I'm sorry to hear that even Canadians are struggling. However, I am happy to pay more taxes in order to walk into surgery and not pay a dime. I guess I should have refrased that and not said our medical system is free. My Dad pays for his perscriptions out of pocket as well. He is self-employed.

Regular User
    Just a tidbit of info for the fellow Canadians on here. My FIL is self employed, and has no benefits. Although he lives with my husband and I, he is not financially dependent on us, so we can't add him to either of ours. Our medical onc told us about Trillium Drug Plan (Ontario). The forms are on the gov of on site, and there is a deductible to pay based on your household income. Seeing as he has already spent almost $1500 on pain meds in less than 4 months, we are giving it a shot. You can get an appilication at any pharmacy. I am not sure if they have anything similar in other provances, but it is worth asking your docs about financial aid.