A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Please help me, so many tests and no answers

Please help me, so many tests and no answers

I went to dr about 3 wks ago, have had a persistent cough for 9 mths , started getting night sweats, mucus, and very very short of breath. I am only 44. I did smoke for almost 30 yrs. And blew if off as that. then started having some chest pains. Saw my GP and she did a xray. She didnt like the looks of it so sent me for ct scan. The scan showed adenopathy hilar and medistianal lymp nodes enlarged with scarring on upper and lower right lung. Saw the pulmonologist and my fev was 83%. He is not sure what is going on but has not ruled out cancer. Although no "mass" is seen just clusters of fibrosis. He says the lung biopsy is invasive and wants to rule anything else out first. How were you diagnosed? Are masses always seen in a ct scan? Can this be cancer?

Tina,

I don't know how many different forms and variations of masses, nodules, enlarged lymph nodes might be connected with lung cancer. I suggest you go to cancerGRACE.org, which is a site operated by an oncologist with a specialty in lung cancer. You can register and ask Dr. West these questions as they are something that none of us here can really answer.

We will be here to support you regardless, so stop back often, if only to vent your frustration or fear. We HAVE or ARE traveling a lung cancer path and are very willing to be a shoulder for you to lean on.

Let us know what Dr. West has to say.

PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Senior User
    I agree about the biopsy being invasive - its why the do try and save it for last. We ALL have tons of questions after we leave the doctor but a good doc won't mind answering a quick phone call with some questions. Mine are awesome. Write the questions down and call the doc. To answer your original question, we were not totally sure until the biopsy came back even though we all did know deep down inside.

Moderator Top User
    Hello Tina;
    Your symptoms are very close to mine, I had a cough for nearly as long as you and had doctors say that they don't know what it is ......but it's not cancer.....but until it was biopsied there is no proof. Well they finally did do a biopsy and it turned out to be cancer. Much later they found out that the coughing was due to blood clots in my lungs which are a side effect of cancer for a few of us. Once I started taking Lovenox to thin my blood and the coughing went away in just a couple days, I could sleep in bed again. My coughing was so bad that I had to sleep in a recliner chair for any rest. I did not have a real large mass in my lungs either so it is harder for them to find a target to biopsy. I had a doctor two years prior that couldn't figure out what that spot on my lungs was (but he said, it's not cancer) so he did a scan, then needle biopsied it, and scanned it again later, came up with no answers. My newer doctors went down my throat and into my lungs and tried to snip a piece and that was successful.
    I don't mean to scare you but as a non smoker, the doctors refused to think I would get cancer and were not motivated to find it. Some times butt kicking is in order to move them into action. Get them to give you either Lovenox or Coumadin to thin your blood and if it's not clots there would be no change, but if the cough goes away, well...at least you know the truth.
    Good luck and I hope to get this resolved soon.'

By the way, they have to be looking for blood clots to find blood clots, I guess when the set up the CT scanner it has to be tuned or focused differently to see it. It wasn't until after I started treatments and was complaining of leg swelling that they checked me for a DVT in my leg. After finding that blood clot my doc thought, maybe my cough was related to clots, had a CT just to look for clots to confirm.
    God Bless
    Dan
    57 year old male, Diagnosed Nov. 9,2007 with NSCLC IV with Mets to the lymph's and brain and now my pancreas (9/1/11)
    Had full brain radiation treatment in Jan 08 treatments now every 3 weeks with Alimta, stopped taking Lovenox for clots, working full time
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9993