A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: my father- we need help with deciding next steps

my father- we need help with deciding next steps

Hi there- I am very new to this topic overall and brand new to this forum.

My father in law was 70 in June. In August, he found a lump in his lymphnode. Scans also found a tumor in his brain (right frontal lobe) and in both lungs. Stage 4 lung cancer was the diagnosis.

He had the tumor in his brain removed. He began serum chemo through a port right after recovery- two types, I don't know what, as well as an anti-nausea. He did that for six weeks. He was very uncomfortable, slept 20 hours a day, felt half dead, couldn't hold a train of thought. Scans showed no further growth and the tumor in his lymph node gone.

He then started on tarceva in hopes he would tolerate it better. He did. Scan after a full course showed that while there was not new growth, his sugar levels were elevated (?) which meant growth was eminent? Doctor said he should go back on the chemo right away.

They put him back on one type of serum chemo through the port and he is miserable again. He has expressed that if he is going to feel miserable, he wants to be able to anticipate a better outcome, he wants to go on the offense and find stronger better treatments or regimens.

He is being treated in High Point NC and wonders if he should seek an assessment at Duke or Wake Forest for new options.

Does anyone have any advice? I asked a friend who is an oncology nurse, she advised us to have him ask his doctor for a second opinion, but I think he wants a different option, a specific program or something? We just want to do all we can to support him in this and feel really lost.

Thanks for reading...

Joy

Newbie Top User

Re: my father- we need help with deciding next steps

Quote Originally Posted by joyanne
    Hi there- I am very new to this topic overall and brand new to this forum.

My father in law was 70 in June. In August, he found a lump in his lymphnode. Scans also found a tumor in his brain (right frontal lobe) and in both lungs. Stage 4 lung cancer was the diagnosis.

He had the tumor in his brain removed. He began serum chemo through a port right after recovery- two types, I don't know what, as well as an anti-nausea. He did that for six weeks. He was very uncomfortable, slept 20 hours a day, felt half dead, couldn't hold a train of thought. Scans showed no further growth and the tumor in his lymph node gone.

He then started on tarceva in hopes he would tolerate it better. He did. Scan after a full course showed that while there was not new growth, his sugar levels were elevated (?) which meant growth was eminent? Doctor said he should go back on the chemo right away.

They put him back on one type of serum chemo through the port and he is miserable again. He has expressed that if he is going to feel miserable, he wants to be able to anticipate a better outcome, he wants to go on the offense and find stronger better treatments or regimens.

He is being treated in High Point NC and wonders if he should seek an assessment at Duke or Wake Forest for new options.

Does anyone have any advice? I asked a friend who is an oncology nurse, she advised us to have him ask his doctor for a second opinion, but I think he wants a different option, a specific program or something? We just want to do all we can to support him in this and feel really lost.

Thanks for reading...

Joy
    Joy;
    Sorry to hear of your fathers condition, a second opinion is always worth while not only for your father but for everybody that questions " have they done all they can do?" You can look online and find a list of the best treatment centers in the states and I'm sure there are good ones in your area. I got my second opinion and they confirmed my treatment program was on the right path. I flew to the University of Washington which was the best in the west, they offered. if I could afford it, additional treatments. But because insurance will not cover those treatments I couldn't afford it, so I was much better off at home where I was covered. My doctors and staff were very helpful getting the second opinion done.
    Who is your fathers caregiver? It sounds like you are unable to be there with him in the doctors office, it is a good Idea to have someone taking notes.
    God Bless
    Dan
    57 year old male, Diagnosed Nov. 9,2007 with NSCLC IV with Mets to the lymph's and brain and now my pancreas (9/1/11)
    Had full brain radiation treatment in Jan 08 treatments now every 3 weeks with Alimta, stopped taking Lovenox for clots, working full time
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9993