A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: my father- we need help with deciding next steps

  1. #1

    my father- we need help with deciding next steps

    Hi there- I am very new to this topic overall and brand new to this forum.

    My father in law was 70 in June. In August, he found a lump in his lymphnode. Scans also found a tumor in his brain (right frontal lobe) and in both lungs. Stage 4 lung cancer was the diagnosis.

    He had the tumor in his brain removed. He began serum chemo through a port right after recovery- two types, I don't know what, as well as an anti-nausea. He did that for six weeks. He was very uncomfortable, slept 20 hours a day, felt half dead, couldn't hold a train of thought. Scans showed no further growth and the tumor in his lymph node gone.

    He then started on tarceva in hopes he would tolerate it better. He did. Scan after a full course showed that while there was not new growth, his sugar levels were elevated (?) which meant growth was eminent? Doctor said he should go back on the chemo right away.

    They put him back on one type of serum chemo through the port and he is miserable again. He has expressed that if he is going to feel miserable, he wants to be able to anticipate a better outcome, he wants to go on the offense and find stronger better treatments or regimens.

    He is being treated in High Point NC and wonders if he should seek an assessment at Duke or Wake Forest for new options.

    Does anyone have any advice? I asked a friend who is an oncology nurse, she advised us to have him ask his doctor for a second opinion, but I think he wants a different option, a specific program or something? We just want to do all we can to support him in this and feel really lost.

    Thanks for reading...

    Joy

  2. #2
    Newbie Top User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,066

    Re: my father- we need help with deciding next steps

    Quote Originally Posted by joyanne
    Hi there- I am very new to this topic overall and brand new to this forum.

    My father in law was 70 in June. In August, he found a lump in his lymphnode. Scans also found a tumor in his brain (right frontal lobe) and in both lungs. Stage 4 lung cancer was the diagnosis.

    He had the tumor in his brain removed. He began serum chemo through a port right after recovery- two types, I don't know what, as well as an anti-nausea. He did that for six weeks. He was very uncomfortable, slept 20 hours a day, felt half dead, couldn't hold a train of thought. Scans showed no further growth and the tumor in his lymph node gone.

    He then started on tarceva in hopes he would tolerate it better. He did. Scan after a full course showed that while there was not new growth, his sugar levels were elevated (?) which meant growth was eminent? Doctor said he should go back on the chemo right away.

    They put him back on one type of serum chemo through the port and he is miserable again. He has expressed that if he is going to feel miserable, he wants to be able to anticipate a better outcome, he wants to go on the offense and find stronger better treatments or regimens.

    He is being treated in High Point NC and wonders if he should seek an assessment at Duke or Wake Forest for new options.

    Does anyone have any advice? I asked a friend who is an oncology nurse, she advised us to have him ask his doctor for a second opinion, but I think he wants a different option, a specific program or something? We just want to do all we can to support him in this and feel really lost.

    Thanks for reading...

    Joy
    Joy;
    Sorry to hear of your fathers condition, a second opinion is always worth while not only for your father but for everybody that questions " have they done all they can do?" You can look online and find a list of the best treatment centers in the states and I'm sure there are good ones in your area. I got my second opinion and they confirmed my treatment program was on the right path. I flew to the University of Washington which was the best in the west, they offered. if I could afford it, additional treatments. But because insurance will not cover those treatments I couldn't afford it, so I was much better off at home where I was covered. My doctors and staff were very helpful getting the second opinion done.
    Who is your fathers caregiver? It sounds like you are unable to be there with him in the doctors office, it is a good Idea to have someone taking notes.
    God Bless
    Dan
    57 year old male, Diagnosed Nov. 9,2007 with NSCLC IV with Mets to the lymph's and brain and now my pancreas (9/1/11)
    Had full brain radiation treatment in Jan 08 treatments now every 3 weeks with Alimta, stopped taking Lovenox for clots, working full time
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9993

 

Similar Threads

  1. Deciding on course of therapy - Surgery vs Brachytherapy
    By KPS in forum Prostate Cancer Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 03:47 AM
  2. Deciding on Transplant Facility for AML
    By mendelson92 in forum Leukemia/Myelodysplastic Syndrome Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
  3. Deciding on type of radiation
    By rowejack in forum Prostate Cancer Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 03:50 AM
  4. Need help with deciding treatment
    By Billster in forum Melanoma and Skin Cancer Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 12:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •