A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.

Thread: Worried about amount of meds he's taking.

Worried about amount of meds he's taking.

My fiance was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in his knee almost 2 years ago (when he was 20). It has now spread to his lungs, back, lymphnodes, abdomin and returned to his leg. They amputated his leg below the knee in January. The cancer has come back just above where the amputation was done. The doctors won't amputate his leg higher because they say it is pointless since hes going to die anyway. The tumor in his leg is almost the size of a football and is causing him alot of pain. Originally he was taking around 20 mg of hydromorphine per day but it wasn't quite doing it for him. Every time he complains to his doctor she just increases the dose. He is now taking 68 mg daily. I am concered that this is way too much. Am I right or am I a worry wort?

I'm sorry about this terrible situation. How sad for someone so young.

Does it matter how much he takes or if he becomes addicted at this point? As long as he's not driving and has someone responsible around the house to make sure he's safe, I'd say it wasn't a problem. Maybe others can chime in as we didn't have huge pain issues.

Keeping him comfortable is what it's all about. Have they contacted Hospice at this point? Might be helpful to have a professional set of eyes monitoring him regularly.

God bless,

PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Right now it is just his leg hurting him. He is a military man, so weakness just isn't something he will let take over. He just started doing radiation. The doctor said that it wont make him sick but it will make him hurt more for the first week or so. I'm hopeing the radiation will shrink the tumor in his leg so he can wear his prosthetic again. Right now its just $10,000 sitting in the closet. Our wedding is in a month and although hes been on crutches for the last 14 months it would be nice if he could walk at the wedding.

I see. Didn't realize they were still treating him. Hopefully he can cut back if the rads work and the pain decreases. I see your concern with a wedding on the horizon.

I'm very sorry. Rotten thing this cancer is -- just rotten.

I'm still hoping someone will be here to help that understands these doses.

Hugs,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Experienced User
    I'm very sorry for your troubles. My wife has cancer, and the pain is terrible. It's my opinion that, if he's dying, he should be comfortable, no matter how much it takes. Furthermore, your body develops a tolerance for opiates, so more is required to achieve the same effect. As long as he doesn't get to a lethal dose (which again depends on the level of tolerance), I say let him take it.